Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:24 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,183,824 times

Advertisements

[quote=drss01;38471707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post

Done beating this dead horse with you dude. I have no issue with munster. I was raised there. I personally just don't like NWI from a aesthetic /feel point of view, a different topic entirely.

The taxes is not a frankfort unique phenomenon.

Here is Orland park, cook county, massive retail for prop tax base

5k on taxes for 200 grand.

Here's downers grove, near train station. 200k
4k prop tax

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/18016448

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Orland-Park.../home/13022381

Naperville, 200k prop tax ~$4500
http://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville/.../home/18071745
Ok so you found a few examples with similar tax rates on individual homes throughout the Chicagoland area but it doesn't change my opinion that I still think it's insane to pay close to $5k on taxes for a house valued under $200k. I think with OP's stated budget, they can find much better value outside of Frankfort. Of course, it's their decision whether they are willing to forgo a traditional "walkable" core for a nicer home at a lower overall cost. Is this core worth an extra $250/month in property taxes and a less updated/home in greater need of repair? I'm sure these are the questions their realtor is asking and only they can answer since everyone holds different priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 AM

172 posts, read 316,029 times
[quote=My Kind Of Town;38473004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post

Ok so you found a few examples with similar tax rates on individual homes throughout the Chicagoland area but it doesn't change my opinion that I still think it's insane to pay close to $5k on taxes for a house valued under $200k. I think with OP's stated budget, they can find much better value outside of Frankfort. Of course, it's their decision whether they are willing to forgo a traditional "walkable" core for a nicer home at a lower overall cost. Is this core worth an extra $250/month in property taxes and a less updated/home in greater need of repair? I'm sure these are the questions their realtor is asking and only they can answer since everyone holds different priorities.
sure. Indiana is bottom line cheaper then IL. OP needs to decide on that. as far as her original question, I think she has a decent set of places recommended.. including Frankfort.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,183,824 times
It's right at the 30-min commute threshold but I would take a long look at Bourbonnais. Very affordable, good schools, growing community, neat downtown area centered around the university/Bears training camp, much cheaper property taxes...This of course would add time to any potential trips to downtown Chicago but if adding 30 minutes to the downtown commute isn't a big issue, I think it's a very good option.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:30 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
NW Indiana is a no brainer for you. As mentioned, Dyer is a good choice and the closest to what you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs