Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 PM

9 posts, read 36,481 times

Advertisements

I am kind of kicking myself for purchasing in August of 2007, just a few months before the whole "scare" started. I can only imagine how much less I could've purchased the same house for now, but I love the house and it's too late to do anything about it now. Just need to dig my heels in and hope that I don't have any reason to move for 5-10 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The L.C. View Post
I am kind of kicking myself for purchasing in August of 2007, just a few months before the whole "scare" started. I can only imagine how much less I could've purchased the same house for now, but I love the house and it's too late to do anything about it now. Just need to dig my heels in and hope that I don't have any reason to move for 5-10 years
Don't feel bad. We all have to live somewhere.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
"how much less I could've purchased the same house for now"

I don't see prices coming down that much around here. Sellers are just sitting on the homes for a much longer time till they get their prices. There are no 3 month turnovers anymore.

Also - years ago, it used to be a 5-year rule - you had to stay in a property for 3-5 years before you made a decent profit. We're back to that. Everyone needs to get used to "normal" again.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
I don't see why anyone would by in Chicago in the first place. Million dollar homes in Western Springs? 400k homes in Berwyn? The market in Chicago is so overvalued, why would anyone by in the area in the first place?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
People buy in Chicago because the demand is there. I don't consider Chicago "overvalued" when you compare it to its coastal counterparts. Chicago offers everything than those cities do (sometimes more) at a pretty steep discount.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
People buy in Chicago because the demand is there. I don't consider Chicago "overvalued" when you compare it to its coastal counterparts. Chicago offers everything than those cities do (sometimes more) at a pretty steep discount.
I guess living in Houston after moving from Chicago, you take cheap housing prices for granted.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
There are some fabulous deals out there.

The so-called " corporate -owned" homes acquired by Relo companies on behalf of a sponsoring outbound transferees are often some of the best values if not downright bargains. Unlike many foreclosed home, these are usually in terrific shape.

Real homeowners, people like you and me, can't compete with these homes because the corporate owner is going to do whatever is necessary to get the home off it's books, chop-chop.

Intests rates are dropping and sellers who have to sell are going to play ball. It's the best of times to be a buyer, if one has to buy and does not need to sell a home in order to do so. At the endof the day, we all have to live somewhere.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I read an article in the NY Times that said the people who will benefit the most from the possible recession are young people who have good credit, don't yet own a home and have years of 401k investing to go before retirement.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 AM

22 posts, read 146,479 times
If you plan to move and stay there for 5 years, now it is time to buy. Also, if you want to buy an investment property and rent it, you would make an excellent move. There are more and more renters today looking for a place (people must live somewhere; if they are not buying, they are renting). If you have a place to rent, you will easily find a tenant who will pay off your mortgage.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,330 times
Default Wheaton, Illinois

Are you kidding? I have read a couple of your very "uneducated" comments on the market and you are the VERY type of person sellers like us and thousands can't stand. First, all of us who are currently on the market and trying to sell, are NOT inflating our asking prices and quite frankly, if we lower any more, we will take a LOSS!! We lived in the home for 9 years and paid $390,000 (not overpriced then, either) and are currently asking $569,000 after putting over $100,000 in the home with all the current updates this riduculous market demands of that price range (new kitchens, baths, etc) and the home was built in 1992. Homes in our neighbothood sell anywhere from $500,000 to over $600,000, even in the last 2 years as this terrible market lingers on.

I am SICK of people like you, by the thousands, who think Inflated markets were EVERYHERE.

Wheaton has great schools, nice homes, nice community and no one is "flipping" houses for profit in most of these types of suburbs. You need to get "educated" and stop making such ignorant comments, leaving all to think that they should only buy if they can grossly lowball a perfectly FAIR priced home. We are not trying to make a killing and when closing cost and real estate agents are paid, we will barely make $20,000. Do you think this is a fair investment for NINE years? I thinks not!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooks View Post
The housing market isn't close to bottoming out and sellers around here aren't budging hardly at all in asking prices. Why would you want to buy when as soon as you sign the value of your house is going to go down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs