Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,909 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Evanston (renting an apartment) since he's fed up with city living. I'm wondering where the best areas to live in Evanston are for a couple of young professionals? We'd like to be close (within walking distance of bars and restaurants) but don't necessarily want to live on top of college students. He'd also like to be within 15 minutes walking of a Metra station.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Evanston is a college town, so you are bound to have them around. There are three metra stations in Evanston - one on Central St (north Evanston), one on Church and Davis (downtown) and one on Main St (south Evanston). You can easily be 15 minutes or less walking to one of these stations. The Downtown area is definitely walking distance to bars and restaurants.

Apartments for Rent in Evanston, IL | Apartments.com

The apartments shown north are all close to the Metra (and a few restaurants, but not bars).
The apartments shown in the downtown area are close to everything.
The apartments close to Main St are close to the metra (and several restaurants)

Walking to the bars would also depend on how far you want to walk. I walked from Central St to downtown all the time, but I walk longer distances than many people do.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Fed up with city living but wants to be walking distance to bars and restaurants. Hmmm. Downtown Evanston doesn't strike me as much different than most active North Side neighborhoods where young professionals are likely to live.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
There's a huge difference IMO. Evanston is much more sedate compared to the north side yuppie & hipster neighborhoods of Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Fed up with city living but wants to be walking distance to bars and restaurants. Hmmm. Downtown Evanston doesn't strike me as much different than most active North Side neighborhoods where young professionals are likely to live.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 AM

258 posts, read 347,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
There's a huge difference IMO. Evanston is much more sedate compared to the north side yuppie & hipster neighborhoods of Chicago.
Yes, I agree. I find Evanston less yuppie-ish and less blingy than Chicago downtown, but is still a true downtown - not a token downtown that many of the suburbs have.

Walking access to bars and restaurants is excellent if one lives East of the tracks (or a 5-10 minute walk West of the tracks), north of Main (ideally, Dempster), and south of NW Univ. That's a pretty small geography, but there are quite a few apartments - modern high rises that are somewhat expensive, and older apartments that are cheaper. Some of the older apartments are quite well run too. Although Evanston is a college town, the univ is not as wild or as big as the other big univs. A lot of the college students are also married and with kids. Apartment buildings get noisy/wild only if it is mostly occupied by students, which is actually not the case for most Evanston apartments in the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: