Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 PM

269 posts, read 1,094,668 times

Advertisements

My family and I are currently looking to move to Chicagoland, again, for job purposes. We love living in central Illinois and have really enjoyed the lifestyle that it has given us. Our previous home was in Downers Grove, which was very nice, but we paid a good deal for. Thus, the reason that we are not looking into it now. We are looking for a community similar to that of metro Peoria, if anyone knows anything about the area. We currently live in the Dunlap area, and wish to maintain the same quality of life. By this I mean: excellent schools(Dunlap's are top in the state), clean, low crime, and GOOD COMMUTES! We also want an actual town with a downtown and community feel. We don't mind living in a subdivision, like setting, outside of the town that we have an address to, but we would prefer that this wasn't the case. WE WON'T A REAL TOWN, NOT JUST ENDLESS SPRAWL! Housing prices are not a big concern, but if we are going to pay as much as we would for a house in Downers Grove, we would like new construction. We have looked the area over, yet again, and it looks like Oswego might be what we are looking for. We know that we don't want our kids associated with Aurora or Naperville, and we want to stay as far away from Joliet as possible. We have talked to many residents of both Oswego and neighboring towns and they all agree that Oswego is on the up swing of growth. The main concern for us is if this growth will destroy any small town feel it has. We know that growth is hard to contain, but we know it can be done, and are just interested to see if Oswego will look like St. Charles in a few years, or Shorewood. We don't want a sell-out community like the latter. Feel free to list any other places that would be like our criteria that we may have missed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 51,465 times
Default Oswego is an awesome town.

My husband and I along with our 3 boys have lived in Oswego for almost 4 years. For the previous 5.5 years, we lived in the Kankakee area due to a job promotion. That was 5 years too long if you ask me, but we knew that it was temporary. Luckily we were able to transfer back to this area just as our oldest began Jr. High. I grew up in Plano and my husband grew up in Sugar Grove, so we were familiar with the area. Our primary reason for choosing Oswego over some of the other towns was due to their schools. They are awesome. Though I will say, if you have a choice, do not move within the Oswego East high school boundaries. They are having many problems at that school due to the rif raf moving into the lower priced homes on that side of town. They have Aurora addresses, but it is Oswego schools. I would recommend Oswego High School on Route 71 and East View, Prairie Point, Hunt Club or Grande Park elementary and Traughber Jr. High. Anything off of Grove Road is excellent. Oswego will continue to grow, but anything commercial will not come out as far as Grove Rd. I live in a subdivision off of Grove and it is absolutely the best. Some excellent subdivisions: Deerpath Trails, Deerpath Creek, Hunt Club, ******** Place....homes around $400,000 and up. If $ really is no object the you would definitely want to check out Old Reserve Hills which is on Grove Road just south of Collins Road. Those homes are on at least 1.5 acres and range from $500,000 to over $1 million. They are stunning, to say the least.

Oswego is a great town with a small town feel. Tho we just recently got a Walmart and Kohls, they are on the far side of town and not near downtown, so we keep that main street feel. We have a local ice cream place downtown too, which we just love. The park district is wonderful too. My kids have been involved with it and I have coached quite a few times. They have a wide variety of activities. The new village hall is nearly complete. It went from multiple locations downtown to one amazing 45,000 sf brick building that will accomodate all facets of the village with room for growth. The village is growing, but I don't see it becoming the next St. Charles. I don't think the people here will let that happen. The current village president (another name for the mayor) supports controlled growth and seems to be doing a good job. It most definitely will not be the next Shorewood. People won't let that happen either. It is simply a great place to live.

Good luck with your job and house hunting!! I hope this info helps.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the response! We are so glad that we have found Oswego, and are hoping that the transition will be an easy one. We were giving up hope of ever finding a decent place live in the area that fit our needs of small town living. The name Deerpath Creek rings a bell and we liked what we saw. I do however remember the area south of Collins Rd. and it is safe to say that we won't be looking into that area any time within the near future. They have subdivisions like that in Dunlap and whille they are nice to look at, and live close too, they are not quite Deerpath Creek. We are a little confused about the highschools though. I have heard that Oswego East is the newest, but up until now have never heard anything negative about it. Do you think that the problems will continue as Aurora continues to expand? Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Have you thought about Wheaton?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Yes, and it is attractive. But the big negative for us is its location to Naperville. I will be working in Aurora, and wish to stay as far away from the congestion, tolls, and endless strip malls. Again, we are looking for an actual community with parks, a quaint, locally owned (not chain store) downtown, and OPEN SPACE, even if it is just cornfields. If we were to live up in that area we would be looking into Glen Ellyn before anything.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Yes, and it is attractive. But the big negative for us is its location to Naperville. I will be working in Aurora, and wish to stay as far away from the congestion, tolls, and endless strip malls. Again, we are looking for an actual community with parks, a quaint, locally owned (not chain store) downtown, and OPEN SPACE, even if it is just cornfields. If we were to live up in that area we would be looking into Glen Ellyn before anything.
You can completely bypass Naperville if youre looking to avoid traffic. Take Butterfield to Eola. And Glen Ellyn is quite congested at times, and close to the toll-road too, and also has lots of strip malls in the area. Anyways, what about Wasco? Beautiful area, cute little "town square" (Burlington Road/ La Fox Rd area), awesome parks and access to walking trails. Very quiet, quite upscale (read: pricey), but no chains in town and cornfields directly to the west.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Here are some pics of Wasco if this helps at all...might give you an idea.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/random083.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 PM

198 posts, read 819,011 times
I had clients from the south last week and we looked at Naperville, Oswego, Batavia, Geneva and St. Charles on Friday. Their opinion on Naperville was the same as yours but they didn't like Oswego as much as Batavia, Geneva and St. Charles due to the lack of walk-to-downtown housing plus they wanted just slightly more of a downtown. They loved the fact that they could actually afford to be in the downtown district of Batavia and Geneva with the potential to move-up and never have to live in cookie-cutter land. Batavia would offer you an easy commute to Aurora from Randall/Orchard, Rte 25, Rte 31 or Kirk/Farnsworth. Batavia and Geneva's dowtown in my opinion have not lost their charm in the midst of development although I hate the fact that Batavia let McDonald's build in the middle of town on its main street. I personally think Batavia has more potential for appreciation than Oswego due to its prime location just north of I-88 and all the jobs that could potentially be reached within 20 miles. I know you hate the strip malls and you don't have to go onto Randall Road if you live east of it but it is good to have for tax purposes, especially in a growing area with the need for schools and public services. Both Oswego and Batavia are still developing so if you get involved you could have your opinion heard and help mold the future of your town. You might consider Lemont which is also rapidly developing. If you were ever going to buy in Glen Elynn now is probably the time, although it is still pricey. When the market does recover the more established closer into the city areas will probably recover first. It has one of the most undercommercialized charming downtowns in all of the high-end suburbs, great schools and great location off of both I-88 & I-355 - I love the area by Lake Elynn just north of the tracks. Good Luck

Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM

198 posts, read 819,011 times
I love the pictures! Good Advice.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:13 PM

9 posts, read 51,465 times
With St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia they are wonderful towns, but their taxes are through the roof. Granted people think Oswego's taxes are high, but not as high as those 3 along with Naperville, etc. We have a 2400 sf house on 1/3 acre and we pay $5300/yr. Friends of ours have a 2800 sf ranch on less than 1/2 acre in Geneva and pay over $10,000/yr. Plus you have fewer yuppies, less congestion and population.

Problems will only get worse at Oswego East as Aurora expands. Don't get me wrong, OHS has issues now and then as well, but there are alot of gang bangers coming together at OEHS. When an Oswego police officer recommends that you do whatever you can to not have to go to east, then you know there is a problem. I take his word on it. Just my opinion. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs