Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,493 times

Advertisements

My sister is relocating for a new job. I told her I would help her with some research. She needs to know the differences between Schaumburg and Gurnee. She was supposed to relocate to Chicago, then they told her Schaumburg, now they are saying it might be Gurnee.

What is Schaumburg like? What is Gurnee like? I know that neither one is near Chicago. Both seem to have similar cost of living and crime rates. Gurnee looks like it is may be more isolated than Schaumburg.

She is in her 20's and would definitely want some type of nightlife. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 PM

41 posts, read 409,271 times
I would choose Schaumburg over Gurnee anyday. It has lot of good restraunts and Woodfield mall. Otherwise also very safe area pus great schools.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,135 times
This one's a toughie, as I like Lake County. Dunno about Gurnee, but I like Libertyville.

When asking about jobs in a metro, be insistent on which city. Hey, next time they'll say Des Plaines ... maybe Des Moines. Hey, it's kinda near "CHICAGO."

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
They both are burbs built around a huge mall.Major rds,traffic,,if pressed I guess I would pick S'burg as its an easier drive to downtown where all the action is for nitelife,and S'burg has a slew of restaraunts.Yes,Gurnee does feel more isolated and it neighbors Waukeegan that has its gang/crime situations

Last edited by nanannie; 09-06-2007 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM

16 posts, read 63,627 times
I'd choose Schaumburg in her situation as well. Schaumburg has lots of shopping (thus lots of traffic as well). But they also have quite a few clubs, restaurants, etc. Plenty to do for a young person who wants to have fun. Easy access to the city is also a good thing.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun View Post
I would choose Schaumburg over Gurnee anyday. It has lot of good restraunts and Woodfield mall. Otherwise also very safe area pus great schools.
I agree with this. Gurnee is very isolated. It's home to Six Flags Great America and Gurnee Mills, a massive indoor shopping mall. It's a "stones throw" from Wisconsin and borders some small rural towns that lie between Gurnee and Milwaukee. For someone in their 20's, Schaumburg would be much better. It's more populated, and aside from families, many singles live there. There is much more nightlife as far as clubs, restaurants, comedy clubs, bars, etc. It's a shorter ride on Metra to downtown and the mall, Woodfield Mall and The Streets of Woodfield is much nicer than Gurnee Mills. At least in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM

108 posts, read 502,524 times
Gurnee is a disaster. Stay away. (does that sound like a college educated response??)

Schaumburg seems very transient, but I enjoyed living there for three months in a transitional situation. Lots of shopping/gyms/etc. And I didn't find traffic to be that bad, not as bad as here in the Western Suburbs anyway.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Id say the only western burb that rivals Schaumburg's traffic is Naperville. Schaumburg gets VERY congested, especially along 72, 58 and 355. And absolutely forget about going to the mall during the holidays.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:38 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Schaumburg itself has more nightlife and more upscale shopping than Gurnee itself has. That being said, Schaumburg is a lot more congested than Gurnee & I-90 into downtown is usually quite traffic-clogged as well. Schaumburg's Metra Line into Chicago (Milwaukee District West) is extremely slow usually, and doesn't run very late at night. Even though Gurnee is a bit sleepier than Schaumburg, it's actually not a difficult drive into Chicago, particularly if you live closer to Highway 41 (aka the Skokie Highway), and in fact 41/94 is usually less congested than Highway 90 from Schaumburg. You could also park & ride at a Metra station such as Lake Bluff on the Union Pacific North line or Libertyville on the Milwaukee District North line and ride it into downtown. If she's trying to gain more from the actual area that she lives in, I'd probably pick Schaumburg. If she's looking for easier access to Chicago it would actually be a toss-up to me, as the travel times are nearly the same, and traffic is actually worse coming from Schaumburg into Chicago (and vice versa). For more peace & quiet in the immediate area I'd go with Gurnee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlilolme View Post
My sister is relocating for a new job. I told her I would help her with some research. She needs to know the differences between Schaumburg and Gurnee. She was supposed to relocate to Chicago, then they told her Schaumburg, now they are saying it might be Gurnee.

What is Schaumburg like? What is Gurnee like? I know that neither one is near Chicago. Both seem to have similar cost of living and crime rates. Gurnee looks like it is may be more isolated than Schaumburg.

She is in her 20's and would definitely want some type of nightlife. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:42 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
All the years I lived around here, I never knew S'burg had a metra line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs