Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM

367 posts, read 489,223 times

Advertisements

Interested in buying a property that has tenant living there, lease expires 4/30/2015. Is this a bad idea and are properties currently leased harder to sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,712,874 times
Would you be buying it for a rental property or to live there yourself?

Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,070 times
In my experience, properties that have been leased show more wear than properties that have been owner occupied. I'd want a very thorough inspection. If there's nothing wrong with the house though, the fact that it had been leased alone would not stop me from buying it.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:59 PM

367 posts, read 489,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Would you be buying it for a rental property or to live there yourself?
I would live there myself.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:06 PM

89 posts, read 265,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
Interested in buying a property that has tenant living there, lease expires 4/30/2015. Is this a bad idea and are properties currently leased harder to sell?
4/30 is not very far off. Do an early May closing and make it very clear during negotiation that you will not close with the tenant in place. You'll have a final walk-through after the tenant moves out so anything damaged in the process will be dealt with before closing.

It's better to avoid dealing with the tenant all together if possible.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,712,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne C M View Post
4/30 is not very far off. Do an early May closing and make it very clear during negotiation that you will not close with the tenant in place. You'll have a final walk-through after the tenant moves out so anything damaged in the process will be dealt with before closing.

Agreed here. Make current owner wrap up the lease and inspect after tenant is out.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:46 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne C M View Post

Yes, I definitely agree with all of this.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,481,670 times
I think it depends on the tenant. Ask the property owner for a rent payment history going back to the start of the lease, or at least one year. If the tenant has consistently paid rent on time, it shouldn't be much of a problem. In fact, you may even want to keep the tenant in the building. Good tenants are like gold, and it's sometimes a hassle to find tenants in some areas who both want the apartment and have good credit/employment histories.

If the tenant has not been paying rent on time, I wouldn't per se avoid the property given the lease is almost over but I'd be very careful. People who don't pay their rent on time usually have bad credit. People with bad credit often don't care about financial consequences of an eviction action, because they know they're not going to get a good landlord reference, their credit is already shot, and they have no assets you can grab when you get eventually get your judgment for unpaid rent.

Chicago and the Cook County courts are very tenant friendly and most deadbeat tenants know this. He can stop paying rent knowing it's going to take you about 2-3 months (plus about a grand or so in attorneys' fees and court costs) to get him out of there, and maybe longer if he wants to try to drag it out or you mess anything up, like the 5-day notice for example. Make sure you have the liquidity to cover that should it occur.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,838,344 times
We tried to look at a house once where the tenant was not cooperating with real estate agents trying to show the home. I understand that it can be an annoyance for a tenant to have prospective buyers walking through your home, especially if you are not super excited about having to move out at the end of your lease term. But I believe the owners of this property were considering legal action against the tenant, since she was having a negative impact on their ability to sell the property (and thereby a negative effect on the ultimate value of the property).

We saw the red flags and moved on after failing to see the property twice with our agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: