Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
An African American coffee shop? Oh and a Starbucks is also moving into Berwyn.
Finally! I was hoping they'd get one before Baghdad and Cicero but at least they got it. Better late than never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,294 times
Quote:
An African American coffee shop?
Lots of African Americans own businesses, everywhere. Unless it specializes in African American coffee beans, I don't get this comment.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I don't know either what an African American coffee shop is. Is it just owned by an AA or does it have a special kind of coffee or specialty that designates it as such. I know some coffee shops have kind of an Italian espresso theme like Lavazza. Just askin.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:53 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,809 times
Quote:
I don't know either what an African American coffee shop is. Is it just owned by an AA or does it have a special kind of coffee or specialty that designates it as such. I know some coffee shops have kind of an Italian espresso theme like Lavazza. Just askin.
We use Black beans....just kidding!

Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
A hair salon and a coffee shop!?! You mean new, locally-owned businesses are opening?!? In previously vacant storefronts?!!?!?!!? AND SOMEBODY WITH A JOB BOUGHT A HOUSE DOWN THE STREET???!!!??? THEY HAVE KIDS?!!? Agghhhhhh!!!! Rrruuuuuunnnnnn!!!
You win the thread.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:03 AM

I honestly don't worry that much about people that buy single family homes as they have jobs or would not be able to afford them. I do worry about cheap a$$ apartments and landlords that will just rent to anyone off the street just to milk the buildings for rent and don't keep them up.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 PM

44 posts, read 134,424 times
Default Truth hurts!

Quote:
I honestly don't worry that much about people that buy single family homes as they have jobs or would not be able to afford them. I do worry about cheap a$$ apartments and landlords that will just rent to anyone off the street just to milk the buildings for rent and don't keep them up.
Toria T, you seem to get my general concerns about Berwyn. I've been so taken aback by the negative messages on here that I almost deleted my profile!

I moved here (vicinity of 13th and Cuyler) expecting the neighborhood to improve in quality based on it's location to Oak Park and positive feedback from other like-minded individuals, and that's not what I've experienced. Instead, it seems like in a matter of 2 years, my White and Hispanic neighbors are starting to get antsy. I threw my son's birthday party this weekend, and my neighbor was mentioning that he may soon sell his house based on "schools". Interesting, as his oldest goes to Fenwick and the younger child attends a Catholic grade school. When I mentioned that later in the evening (and after a few cocktails), he flat out admitted that he is moving out because he sees Berwyn as the newest "Ghetto". I couldn't in good faith disagree with that statement. The Blacks moving to Berwyn are coming from the West Side and Maywood. No offense, I don't work 45 plus hours a week to deal with the problems that come along with these areas. I can't believe that people on City-Data don't notice a group of 4 to 6 thugged out teenage boys (most of whom are Black) walking in the middle of the street with sagging pants. It's not racist to point this out, it's simply stating the facts. Our newest Black residents are not professional level families. At best, they are working class families that are bringing the same problems that they are trying to flee.

This truth seems to stir the pot, which is not helpful or constructive. I'm not opposed to Black neighbors that have pride in their families and careers. I also prefer an INTERGRATED area (like Oak Park and Forest Park), where residents of all races move in and move out. This is a statement that some of the critics don't seem to comprehend. In Berwyn, the only people that seem to be moving in anymore are Black, and from the West Side/ poor Western suburbs. I have yet to see the supposed hipsters, gays, and young families (other than Black families that is) moving in that so many supporters swear are moving here in droves. It's the first time in my life I've felt bitter about my choices, and that's not who I want to become.

Downtown Berwyn is a nice enough place. I worry that it's off the beaten path (Harlem Ave), and therefore doesn't get the attention it deserves. I love our library, especially the kids programs. Also, city hall is really good to the residents here, and there seems to be a lot of programs and activities for both kids and seniors. Coming from Chicago, it's a welcome change of pace.

I guess Berwyn has a lot going for it on paper, but the reality is we are dealing with some serious racial change, and no one is willing to admit it yet. I wonder how long it will take before others take notice of this. As much as I'd love to get involved with the community, I'm trying to work, raise a child, and get through my daily life. I feel that if I were in Oak Park or even Forest Park, I would not be dealing with these issues.

I promise I'm not a raving internet lunatic; just a concerned resident that doesn't want to see his town go down the drain. I really applaud Oak Park for being proactive in how it dealt with diversity, and it's reaping the benefits of this forward-thinking decision to this day.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Forest Park has similar problems, it would be foolish to argue otherwise.

The various issues that towns with less desirable schools face often have a lot to do with the economic and racial mix of residents. There are probably more than a few "bad apple" landlords that will rent to anyone with a pulse and sadly tenants that do not have the same values a home owners with longer term horizon tend to exacerbate the those tensions.

If the municipal leaders remain strict about inspections between any leases it tends to make landlords seek out tenants that respect the investment that there is a well maintained building and that is one of the things that has been shown to help maintain property values...

Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongchicagoland View Post
I threw my son's birthday party this weekend, and my neighbor was mentioning that he may soon sell his house based on "schools". Interesting, as his oldest goes to Fenwick and the younger child attends a Catholic grade school..
Boy, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that when I lived in Berwyn, well, I wouldn't be on here dreaming about becoming a $500 winner like Chet, LOL! People were saying this even when Berwyn's elementary schools were close to Oak Park's in terms of ISAT scores, which eventually led me to believe that there was more to it than school quality per se.

I think that you understand what it's really about. Sadly, you are perpetuating it, not helping it. The truth that seems to hurt some folks is that African-American and Hispanic families living in troubled neighborhoods in the City and some suburbs see Berwyn as a very welcoming place that they can afford.

They are moving there for the schools and perceived safety. Can you blame them?? Walk around South Lawndale someday, and then compare it to Berwyn. Of the suburbs we could call affordable around here, I can't think of a nicer one that's better located than Berwyn.

I don't see that changing anytime soon so I hope that you can come around to it. There are many in the community who welcome the challenge, including CARES and some of the new South Berwyn school board members. Oak Park got its reputation by becoming known as a welcoming place. Posts that imply the direct opposite won't help, and, oh yes, won't change the direction of the community either.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongchicagoland View Post
Toria T, you seem to get my general concerns about Berwyn. I've been so taken aback by the negative messages on here that I almost deleted my profile!

I moved here (vicinity of 13th and Cuyler) expecting the neighborhood to improve in quality based on it's location to Oak Park and positive feedback from other like-minded individuals, and that's not what I've experienced. Instead, it seems like in a matter of 2 years, my White and Hispanic neighbors are starting to get antsy. I threw my son's birthday party this weekend, and my neighbor was mentioning that he may soon sell his house based on "schools". Interesting, as his oldest goes to Fenwick and the younger child attends a Catholic grade school. When I mentioned that later in the evening (and after a few cocktails), he flat out admitted that he is moving out because he sees Berwyn as the newest "Ghetto". I couldn't in good faith disagree with that statement. The Blacks moving to Berwyn are coming from the West Side and Maywood. No offense, I don't work 45 plus hours a week to deal with the problems that come along with these areas. I can't believe that people on City-Data don't notice a group of 4 to 6 thugged out teenage boys (most of whom are Black) walking in the middle of the street with sagging pants. It's not racist to point this out, it's simply stating the facts. Our newest Black residents are not professional level families. At best, they are working class families that are bringing the same problems that they are trying to flee.

This truth seems to stir the pot, which is not helpful or constructive. I'm not opposed to Black neighbors that have pride in their families and careers. I also prefer an INTERGRATED area (like Oak Park and Forest Park), where residents of all races move in and move out. This is a statement that some of the critics don't seem to comprehend. In Berwyn, the only people that seem to be moving in anymore are Black, and from the West Side/ poor Western suburbs. I have yet to see the supposed hipsters, gays, and young families (other than Black families that is) moving in that so many supporters swear are moving here in droves. It's the first time in my life I've felt bitter about my choices, and that's not who I want to become.

Downtown Berwyn is a nice enough place. I worry that it's off the beaten path (Harlem Ave), and therefore doesn't get the attention it deserves. I love our library, especially the kids programs. Also, city hall is really good to the residents here, and there seems to be a lot of programs and activities for both kids and seniors. Coming from Chicago, it's a welcome change of pace.

I guess Berwyn has a lot going for it on paper, but the reality is we are dealing with some serious racial change, and no one is willing to admit it yet. I wonder how long it will take before others take notice of this. As much as I'd love to get involved with the community, I'm trying to work, raise a child, and get through my daily life. I feel that if I were in Oak Park or even Forest Park, I would not be dealing with these issues.

I promise I'm not a raving internet lunatic; just a concerned resident that doesn't want to see his town go down the drain. I really applaud Oak Park for being proactive in how it dealt with diversity, and it's reaping the benefits of this forward-thinking decision to this day.
I am not in Berwyn enough to know if what you say is true or just a coincidence of where you live. My building is near East Avenue and slightly south of 22nd street so it may be a bit of a different story there. Honestly if you are that concerned maybe you should just put your house up for sale and move. Housing prices are pretty good now and you could move and get your money out. Or...best bet is wait until spring as it may be a more favorable time. Things in the neighborhood will not change that quickly. If you move farther west, depending on where, there is more of a chance that you will live in a mostly white area which is what you want. I get it about the concern of people moving in that could make the area unsafe, gangs, thug like behavior, pit bulls, firecracker all the time, etc. I am not fond of those things either. Also keep in mind people are really freaked out about the shooting that occurred a few weeks ago on Gunderson. It was a Hispanic man, I believe it was gang related and some websites say he was from Chicago. I've heard a number of people saying they were going to get out they just were too upset and wanted to move. Also many people do live in Berwyn and Forest Park for a while until their kids get older. My son's friend in his late twenties was looking in Berwyn and finally got a place in Forest Park. He has a small child..but my guess is he won't stay there unless he has money for private schools...he will be looking at LaGrange or Brookfield or somewhere else in a few years. Another think I would encourage you to do is go to Alderman Polasheks meeting on Friday.
Get involved and informed about the community just sitting there and seeing things and getting paranoid won't help or move you forward. You don't have to be in his ward to go, anyone can go.
There are also many facebook pages you can join to connect with other caring citizens in the community. I'll post these if there is any interest.

Community Meeting
Berwyn Police Department
6401 W. 31st Street
Berwyn, IL 60402
Date/Time Friday August 7, 2015 at 6:30pm
Topics: Public Safety, recent events in media, ward
issues
Attendees: Alderman Polashek, Police Chief Ritz, other
elected officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs