Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 PM

14 posts, read 18,270 times

Advertisements

I was reading about this in the Daily Herald. I live in Glenview and have friends that live in Sugar Grove and it is a beautiful place and has really grown over the years. I belive there is a lot of development going on that is in the works and the access to the Highway is great. Also, some of the homes on the Luxury home tours are beautiful. Stratford Woods and Hannaford Farms are two unique neibhorhoods which have so much charm. Anyone else familiar with the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban2332 View Post
I was reading about this in the Daily Herald. I live in Glenview and have friends that live in Sugar Grove and it is a beautiful place and has really grown over the years. I belive there is a lot of development going on that is in the works and the access to the Highway is great. Also, some of the homes on the Luxury home tours are beautiful. Stratford Woods and Hannaford Farms are two unique neibhorhoods which have so much charm. Anyone else familiar with the area?
Sugar Grove? Not bad, but not anything to write home about either.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Hope this isnt yet another 'advertisment'. I often see one post posters or one topic posters raving about a certain development, then poof, the post is gone by the mods.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Hope this isnt yet another 'advertisment'. I often see one post posters or one topic posters raving about a certain development, then poof, the post is gone by the mods.
Yeah, I wasnt sure if I wanted to take the bait or not either. Ive personally never heard of those 'hoods before, but I decided to respond anyway. Sugar Grove is kinda, well, blah IMO.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM

381 posts, read 842,504 times
Isn't Sugar Grove near Dekalb and Aurora? If that's the Sugar Grove I'm thinking of, I always thought of it as a small town overshadowed greatly by the other towns that are more well known. I honestly never heard anything about it except from a girl who went to school with me at NIU. Said that she was a "corn child."

Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 18,270 times
Well no, not a "advertisment" just read on this board all the time and read about this in the Daily Herald As I said I have friends who live there and love it. Yes it is right by Aurora, bordering it to the west.
Like all the western burbs, used to be all farms, still has some farms, but suburban sprawl has gotten to it.

It is different by it's many beautiful homes that are always on the luxury tour.

Just my opinion

Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
Isn't Sugar Grove near Dekalb and Aurora?
Yes, its by Aurora. Nowhere near DeKalb though.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,757 times
Well, I did my due diligence...

Daily Herald | Life is good in Sugar Grove, according to Business Week

Apparently in business week it was rated as one of the top 50 suburbs in the country. I haven't once been able to figure out these lists that are the "best of" anything. Anyway, I'm sure it's a fine place to live, but it is out there. Way out there.

Full disclosure--7 years ago, I got a ticket going 62 in the 55 zone on the spur ramp out there leading to I-88. Jerks.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
I lived there for 2.4 years. I was attracted to the large lots, new homes, great prices and wonderful wildlife. I left because the taxes were outrageous, the schools need to pass a referendum every other year to keep up with the growth (there is another referendum next month since the last one failed), people are frustrated with the schools and won't pass referendums because their taxes are already sky high. The village is in a catch 22 with taxable property (retail) vs new home permits. While I loved my huge yard (almost an acre) and my big house I was ready to get back to a "community". I missed the ability to ride the prairie path uptown, have a thriving local library, a neighborhood school and the overall sense that my old and current area provides. I didn't like being defined by what neighborhood I lived in or that my children were bussed an hour to school passing two other local schools. We moved back to where we came from. Luckily we got out months before the market lost its power. There are still homes on the market out there that were on the market when we left. Two big builders pulled the plug on their developments out there as well. I think it is a great community for the right person but it just wasn't for us.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
The Daily Herald had an interesting article about Kimball Hill Homes and the Village of Sugar Grove. The village had to scrap their municipal center plans because of the decline of building permits which generated 2500.00 per permit. Settlers Ridge, the largest development out there, is not selling as quickly as they hoped. Of the 1440 homesites, only 96 are sold. Plus the same builder who is at Hannaford Farms also owns lots in Settlers Ridge and they don't appear to be moving either. Several BK's have been filed in that area and from the Daily Herald article it sounds like Kimball Hill may not be in the best financial position right now. I think they missed the success of that development by about 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs