Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,416 times

Advertisements

I've been looking around and visited Downtown Arlington Heights because of the easy commute to my work in Schaumburg.
Are there any better Suburbs I should be looking at?
My budget would be $1500 at the most for rent.
I would enjoy somewhere where taking your car isn't always your only option, and you can walk to a bar/coffee shop. Also an area where I can meet people my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Wheaton, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Naperville and Downers Grove have downtown districts analogous to Arlington Heights and are within reasonable commuting distance of Schaumburg.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
Arlington Heights is the best option. Wheaton's downtown is nowhere near as bustling with things for a 20 something single guy. I'm not familiar with the other towns, but Naperville would be kind of far. I just checked Waze (Sunday morning) and it's a minimum of 36 minutes now, with no traffic. Palatine doesn't have as nice of a downtown as AH, but those would be the best options for you.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Arlington Heights is the best option. Wheaton's downtown is nowhere near as bustling with things for a 20 something single guy.
That's not true at all. And downtown Wheaton is rapidly becoming more lively. If the last time you were there was even a couple months ago, there are several new spots you'd be unaware of. And if it's been longer than that, it may be nearly unrecognizable. The new luxury apartments at Wheaton 121 are home to a growing group of young 20-something professionals. And the ongoing renovations at Wheaton Center have begun to attract a younger crowd as well. The benefits of the new Mariano's within the downtown district are numerous for those who want a walking lifestyle, and there are several watering-holes, including a new microbrewery and new tap house that are sure to be adequate for most young professionals. Throw in the annual beer festival, wine and cultural arts festivals, open air French market, bandshell concerts, parades, parks, the Prarie Path hub, sports courts, and coffee tea and ice cream shops, and there is plenty to keep busy with. Plus having a liberals arts college just outside of the downtown ensures an ample supple of young female faces around town -- something a young single guy might be interested in:

https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/...ls/s/illinois/

Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
That's not true at all. And downtown Wheaton is rapidly becoming more lively. If the last time you were there was even a couple months ago, there are several new spots you'd be unaware of. And if it's been longer than that, it may be nearly unrecognizable. The new luxury apartments at Wheaton 121 are home to a growing group of young 20-something professionals. And the ongoing renovations at Wheaton Center have begun to attract a younger crowd as well. The benefits of the new Mariano's within the downtown district are numerous for those who want a walking lifestyle, and there are several watering-holes, including a new microbrewery and new tap house that are sure to be adequate for most young professionals. Throw in the annual beer festival, wine and cultural arts festivals, open air French market, bandshell concerts, parades, parks, the Prarie Path hub, sports courts, and coffee tea and ice cream shops, and there is plenty to keep busy with. Plus having a liberals arts college just outside of the downtown ensures an ample supple of young female faces around town -- something a young single guy might be interested in:

https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/...ls/s/illinois/
We all know you love Wheaton and yes, it was before Christmas that I was last there, but I still think AH has the better downtown. Not that Wheaton's isn't cute. I have a friend who lives there and she loved it until drug addicts moved into her building that the landlord won't evict.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
We all know you love Wheaton and yes, it was before Christmas that I was last there, but I still think AH has the better downtown. Not that Wheaton's isn't cute. I have a friend who lives there and she loved it until drug addicts moved into her building that the landlord won't evict.
Ok, yes, I'm an <30 guy and I like Wheaton more. But since we each have our own opinion on activity, I will defer to facts regarding what each downtown offers and let the OP decide:

Downtown Wheaton Directory
Downtown Arlington Heights Directory

As I mentioned in my previous post, Wheaton has the added benefit of a new full service Mariano's grocery store and year-round French market within its downtown core. Both make a walking lifestyle very attainable. I don't believe Arlington Heights offers either, but it does have an abbreviated Jewel Osco.

I'll also mentioned that Wheaton's crime is measurably lower than Arlington Heights' crime and Wheaton is in fact the safest city in Illinois with a population of 50,000 or more. Wheaton also has fewer unemployed residents than Arlington Heights, according to the most recent jobless data.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-27-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 09:12 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I don't believe Arlington Heights offers either, but it does have an abbreviated Jewel Osco.
Marianos is just southeast of the DT core in Arlington Heights. I'm sure they have some kind of farmers' market too.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Marianos is just southeast of the DT core in Arlington Heights. I'm sure they have some kind of farmers' market too.
Good looking out Lookout Kid! And they have a every Saturday Farmer's Market too. Sadly it's too late to edit my previous post. But my opinion stands.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
I think a single 20-something in any suburban downtown is going to face similar challenges. Primarily that they shut down early, have little going on after 10 p.m., and cater to an older, married crowd or families. But many of them do offer places to socialize or watch the game with good beers, wine bars, restaurants, etc. There will be other 20-somethings out and about on Saturday nights. It's not like moving to a small town in Kansas or anything like that.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,778 times
Palatine is worth no notable mention.

Western burbs too far IMO. There's a large west burbs fan base on this board FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs