Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

Ok i am in the military and i just got assigned to be a recruiter in Glendale Heights. I am originally from Chicago, IL. I wanted to be stationed in Chicago but I couldn't. I really dont want to move to Glendale heights because i want to live closer to the city, but I do not want to be far from work. Can I please get some help!!! I want to live close to the city for other work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Moderator cut: thread moved to appropriate forum

The suburb nearest the city actually shares a border with the city. Oak Park is 9 miles from the city, and about 23 miles from GH which is 30-35 minutes drive time on dry streets with good weather. The advantage of OP is the trains that run all day between it and the city.

If you want/need to live closer to work, you will not live near the city. You might look at Schaumburg or Arlington Heights as both are about 9 miles from, GH, which is 15-20 minutes travel time on dry streets and fair weather. Both communities offer something a little different from the other communities in their areas. .

Last edited by Count David; 05-12-2015 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 03:22 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Moderator cut: thread moved to appropriate forum

Glendale Heights is a very car-centric suburb that is, in fact, more like 17 mile due west of Oak Park, which is, in fact directly adjacent to Chicago border but about 9 miles from the business center of Chicago, known as the Loop, about a few miles closer to the United Center, home of the Bulls & Blackhawks, and few miles farther from other entertainment districts closer the the Cubs home at Wrigley Field in the Lakeview neighborhood.

There is pretty much reason to suggest a suburb like Arlington Heights for someone that has to work out of Glendale Heights, it is much further than 9 miles to any part of town with nice entertainment option -- http://www.google.com/maps/dir/Glend...m2!1b1!2b1!3e0

Similarly Schaumburg has a large indoor mall and an abundance of rental units, much of which are indistinguishable from the options in Glendale Heights itself...

Last edited by Count David; 05-12-2015 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
You can live in the city but with Glendale Heights being in between the UP-W and MD-W metra lines you would really need a car and that would mean a pretty miserable Eisenhower commute. My best suggestion is live in the suburbs along one of the aforementioned metra lines and ride it into the city when not working or live in the city and just deal with the traffic. You could live in the NW side of Chicago and take I-90 to 294S but that part of the city is pretty much indistinguishable from the subburbs and most of the West side of the city which would be convenient for your commute are horrible ghettos.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:35 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuntianna View Post
Ok i am in the military and i just got assigned to be a recruiter in Glendale Heights. I am originally from Chicago, IL. I wanted to be stationed in Chicago but I couldn't. I really dont want to move to Glendale heights because i want to live closer to the city, but I do not want to be far from work. Can I please get some help!!! I want to live close to the city for other work.
What's your budget?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:01 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Knowing your budget is crucial, IMO. But, if it were me, the farthest east I would go is probably Elmhurst. Otherwise your daily commute is just going to suck. I would probably look for a place somewhere along the UP-West Line between Elmhurst and Wheaton. Being in a downtown area can make it feel a little less suburban and then you can take the train to Chicago if you want to.

I might also consider Roselle since it has a train station, but there isn't a ton to do in downtown Roselle.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
What about Elmwood Park? YOu can shoot east and west down North avenue.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,894 times
I have a car and i really don't want to buy right now. I want to rent preferably a 3 bedroom condo and my budget is between 1400-1700

Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
It's going to be very difficult to get a 3 bed condo with that budget. You can definitley get a very nice 2 bed condo though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs