Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times

Advertisements

I would look at places in between Elmhurst and the city. So, I would keep Elmhurst and Oak Park and I would add La Grange, Riverside, and Brookfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:18 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
You might take a look at resident reviews of Kenmore Park Apts. here:

Kenmore Park Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Elmhurst apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Another place that comes to mind is Wheaton Center in downtown Wheaton across from the train station, but it's considerably more expensive so might be outside your budget:

Chicago Area Apartments | Wheaton Center Tower Apartments

I suspect there might be more things for you and your girlfriend to do in Wheaton, Downers Grove, or Naperville; some of the other towns mentioned have more of a married older family feel. Just my opinion. I live in north Naperville near the Route 59 station, have a 10 minute drive and walk to and from the train station at Route 59, a 40-45 minute train ride, then a ten minute walk from the train to my office. But I'm lucky in that regard; if your job is not really near the train station in Chicago, it can add considerably to your commute.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 10,364 times
Thank you all so much for all the helpful advice. It looks like I definitely have my top few areas in mind, and it's really comforting to know the train commute into downtown Chicago for work wouldn't be too bad. I really appreciate all the friendly advice from you all! I received a rather somewhat unexpected request for an interview for a position here in Bloomington today, however, so what happens next could be up in the air. If both positions pay about the same, I'll have to make a tough decision. Just for the sake of curiosity, assuming it was roughly the same pay rate for the two areas of Illinois, which would you rather go with? I know a lot of you may be biased based on where you grew up, but it's a big decision and it would be really cool to hear what people from different parts of Illinois have to say on the matter!

Job in Bloomington - Big Company
PROS: Low cost of living, no traffic
CONS: Little to do for young couples, few job prospects for my s.o.

Job in Chicago - Smaller Company
PROS: Fun area, lots to do, lots of job prospects for the s.o.
CONS: Significantly higher cost of living, have to learn a new area/commute

Thanks again everyone! This peace of mind has been a big de-stressor for me the last couple days

Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
If both jobs paid the same amount, I would go with Chicago, since your girlfriend would for sure have a job. Also, there definitely are more things to do around Chicago than in or around Bloomington. Even though cost of living is significantly more, you''re not very limited with your budget at all. However, if the Bloomington job ends being a higher pay, then it might be Bloomington depending on how much higher the pay would be.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:18 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,264 times
someone above mentioned Naperville. Great place (esp. to grow into). Suffer the train ride as needed, but live awesome. \

Old 05-28-2015, 07:56 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I would pick the Chicago area over Bloomington any day of the week, but I'm not really a rural town kind of a guy. And as big is Bloomington is compared to surrounding towns, it's still pretty rural in character.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,365 times
I personally prefer (and always have) big little cities versus BIG, BIG cities. I would take living in Naperville’s core as my first choice if I were your age and it was a feasible option. Focus on train station and core walkability and test drive the commute first before making a decision. that is my 2 centz, Good Luck.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I tend to change jobs every few years, so for me Chicago is the better choice because I'd have more opportunities long term. Also, my family is here, which is definitely a big factor for me personally.

In your case, I would probably go with Chicago, assuming the pay was equal or better because it gives your gf opportunities as well. Plus, in my experience, working at a smaller company is more enjoyable anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs