U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area offers the most?
Northern Suburbs 49 45.79%
Western Suburbs 49 45.79%
Southern Suburbs 9 8.41%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 01:53 PM

19 posts, read 20,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharapata View Post
The ONE arguably positive thing about the south suburbs is the general lack of large, expansive higher density apartment complexes containing hundreds of units that dominate the landscape in so many western and northern suburbs. There just isn't all that much multi-unit housing in general throughout this area by Chicagoland standards. For better or for worse, this is probably because real estate is valued so much lower overall, and consequently the market for such housing just isn't there as much.
I should also add that virtually no apartments have been constructed in the south suburbs during the last 50 years or so. The bulk of what little complexes do exist are mostly confined to the Park Forest vicinity, with a few smattering here and there in other cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 09:35 PM

6,751 posts, read 3,167,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharapata View Post
I should also add that virtually no apartments have been constructed in the south suburbs during the last 50 years or so. The bulk of what little complexes do exist are mostly confined to the Park Forest vicinity, with a few smattering here and there in other cities.
If you consider Orland Park as part of this group, they have gotten a couple of new complexes in the past 10 years or so. I think there is also a new building coming up in Tinley Park. That said, I work in that area and there is very little available to rent. The choices are either old with few amenities or the new couple of complexes in Orland that cost as much as places in the city. I’m surprised that people rent at the expensive places since buying in that area is relatively reasonable.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:47 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,642,427 times
The Southeast Suburbs/Northwest Indiana Suburbs.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:54 AM

4,134 posts, read 7,921,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
If you consider Orland Park as part of this group, they have gotten a couple of new complexes in the past 10 years or so. I think there is also a new building coming up in Tinley Park. That said, I work in that area and there is very little available to rent. The choices are either old with few amenities or the new couple of complexes in Orland that cost as much as places in the city. I’m surprised that people rent at the expensive places since buying in that area is relatively reasonable.
Given the Daily Southtown newspaper is based in Tinley Park, it's technically in the south suburbs. The terminology "Chicago Southland" is also used to categorized this broad region south of Chicago.

Orland is the shopping hub of the south region, and together with its equally yoked neighbor Tinley Park, it makes for a desirable area (and a traffic-magnet) that supports the rents being on the pricey end. Also, there are million dollar and upper six-figure valued homes in the affluent subdivisions west of the shopping mall. In fact, a Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired mansion was on the market for 3 mil within the last year.
https://patch.com/illinois/orlandpar...et-orland-park

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-28-2021 at 01:08 AM..

Old 02-28-2021, 04:14 PM

5,861 posts, read 2,784,220 times
A tough call between the northern and western suburbs. Both have a strong collection of really nice suburbs from what I’ve seen. I voted northern for the north shore scenery. That area and the nature along the north shore is breathtaking. The southern suburbs are a little too blue collar looking for me, although they provide some nice diversity of suburbs to add to the mix.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:29 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,006,093 times
Good day. I drove my father down highway 31 (Sheridan Road). Beautiful and hilly terrain through very upscale areas. We stopped in Highwood and had Moises and Isaac for lunch.

Made it down through Evanstin into the city. Dinner at Bar Tucci on Harlem Avenue.

We'll take Milwaukee Avenue back home to enjoy some more northern suburbs!! Libertyville is another favorite!

Old 03-02-2021, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 856 times
Politically and culturally the north shore is far more liberal progressive, especially in places like Evanston. I have heard friends complain about loud voices shouting about wokeness and schools teaching kids to embrace victimhood culture. Western burbs are more 50/50 dem/republican and culturally more small-c conservative. Given my personal preference that politics is something to try to ignore while avoiding the crazies on both sides, it would seem that the western burbs would be a bit more moderate and a better fit for me. I’d love to get people’s take on that.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:17 PM

25 posts, read 1,734 times
Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh_Coast View Post
Politically and culturally the north shore is far more liberal progressive, especially in places like Evanston. I have heard friends complain about loud voices shouting about wokeness and schools teaching kids to embrace victimhood culture. Western burbs are more 50/50 dem/republican and culturally more small-c conservative. Given my personal preference that politics is something to try to ignore while avoiding the crazies on both sides, it would seem that the western burbs would be a bit more moderate and a better fit for me. I’d love to get people’s take on that.
As a 10 year resident of Clarendon Hills I think you are right on the money - 50/50 is a good way to describe it with both sides being relatively moderate.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:03 PM

5,861 posts, read 2,784,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh_Coast View Post
This sounds about right. And just to complete the picture, I would guess that the South/SW suburbs, which seem to be a little more blue-collar (although admittedly, I'm not an expert on the suburbs), may lean a little more conservative (lower-case c). You probably have more blue collar workers as well, which may be democratic (not necessarily liberal) as well. So overall, I'd guess that the South/SW suburbs would kind of be opposite of the north shore, and the Western Suburbs (including the NW suburbs like Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, etc.) are probably a 50/50 split.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

22 posts, read 3,402 times
I am going to be flexing my bias pretty hardcore here but I absolutely loved living in the far northwest burbs. We lived in Wauconda and loved it. People were down to earth, the "downtown" area was of the quaint Americana variety, and I spent nearly every weekend on my boat during the warmer months. I grew up boating from my parents influence, so getting my own and immersing myself in the lifestyle felt like being a kid all over again. Boating on the Chain and the surrounding area is very much a way of life in the Summer, and it is something you really have to experience to understand. Every weekend that we pushed off from Fox Lake was an adventure. If property taxes in Lake County were not insane, and if Illinois more generally was not a governmental and financial atrocity, I would probably still be in Wauconda or somewhere close by.

Though now I have pretty much an identical lifestyle just a bit farther north. Sorry, but I am not paying 10K or more in property taxes for a modest house. It is really a shame too because that part of Illinois has so many great amenities to offer a potential home buyer who is into a more laid back lifestyle. Nobody should be forced to essentially take out 2 mortgages to own a home. One for principal and interest, and the other to pay for property taxes. I know plenty of people who still live in Wauconda, Lake Zurich, Fox Lake, etc. whose property taxes exceed the cost of their mortgage every month. This unfortunate dynamic puts home ownership out of reach for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs