U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area offers the most?
Northern Suburbs 44 47.83%
Western Suburbs 41 44.57%
Southern Suburbs 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 10,015,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
To me living by the lake is a wash. It is both underrated and overrated(if that is possible). Underrated for it is a thing of beauty, esp downtown. I travel quite a bit and the closeness to downtown to say Oak street is unmatched in a large city. How many places can you be in the thick of traffic, hustle and bustle of Mich ave, walk under the road and be at a beach.

I know this is the suburb forum, but the coastline up to Hollywood is just a thing a beauty.

Now overrated in the fact that it is in Chicago, which is in the upper midwest, and lets face it cold and windy for a long duration. I am not talking Dec-Feb freezing your butt off cold, but the wind and the temps in the 30s-50s does not make it attractive unless you are a runner, cycler, etc.

Been said a thousand times, if Chicago weather was different...... but it is located where it is and not moving anytime soon
That's a fun thought to entertain. Wondering if Chicago had been a coastal city along the Atlantic how much different things would be for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 AM

11,973 posts, read 28,898,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I feel like the "sprawl" type suburbs are typically associated with Northwest.
I would consider Bloomingdale, Carol Stream, Darien, Oak Brook, and plenty of other "sprawly" suburbs to be western suburbs. And even the cute, older suburbs along Metra routes are like half sprawl as you get away from the town centers.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 AM

What are suburbs like Gurnee, McHenry, and Grayslake considered? There's a lot of farmland surrounding those suburbs.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM

625 posts, read 779,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would consider Bloomingdale, Carol Stream, Darien, Oak Brook, and plenty of other "sprawly" suburbs to be western suburbs. And even the cute, older suburbs along Metra routes are like half sprawl as you get away from the town centers.
I would definitely consider Oak Brook/Darien western burbs. Carol Stream is debatable and Bloomingdale would be a no, for my classification at least. I would generally say the 88 corridor for sure is all western burbs, which I would say end at the Tri-Cities.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,485,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What are suburbs like Gurnee, McHenry, and Grayslake considered? There's a lot of farmland surrounding those suburbs.
Definitely North. Though if we add the subcategory of Northwest, McHenry would fall in there. And just because there is still farmland left around them doesn't mean they aren't suburbs. Gurnee, especially, has a big mall and lots of shopping.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I would definitely consider Oak Brook/Darien western burbs. Carol Stream is debatable and Bloomingdale would be a no, for my classification at least. I would generally say the 88 corridor for sure is all western burbs, which I would say end at the Tri-Cities.
If you draw a line straight west from the John Hancock Center, you'd end up in Carol Stream. I don't know how it could be anything other than a "Western Suburb". Bloomingdale is due west of Wrigley Field... Definitely NOT a "Northwest Suburb".

Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,656,199 times
I consider all of the towns in Dupage county to be west suburbs. The suburbs in Dupage aren't the only west suburbs; there's Riverside, Oak Park, Westchester, Western Springs, etc. Carol Stream is in Dupage, so I think it's part of the west suburbs. Only part of Bolingbrook is in Dupage, but I still consider it a west suburb because it's north of I-55.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM

625 posts, read 779,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you draw a line straight west from the John Hancock Center, you'd end up in Carol Stream. I don't know how it could be anything other than a "Western Suburb". Bloomingdale is due west of Wrigley Field... Definitely NOT a "Northwest Suburb".
I just feel that "culturally" Bloomingdale/Schaumburg/Itasca/Roselle are a lot more tied together and interlinked, and I would definitely consider Schaumburg an NW suburb. Perhaps it's just a matter of opinion!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I just feel that "culturally" Bloomingdale/Schaumburg/Itasca/Roselle are a lot more tied together and interlinked, and I would definitely consider Schaumburg an NW suburb. Perhaps it's just a matter of opinion!
I can agree with you there. Absolutely. Throw in Hanover Park, Streamwood, and Bartlett too.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
So Schaumburg doesn't fall into west or north? Not even a little more north rather than west?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs