Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,105 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to buy a home at either of these three areas (Tinley Park, Homewood or Midlothian). Just a young couple with 2 kids that are just a year old. Want a nice area with good schools and other social amenities. We are first time home buyers and wouldn't want REGRETS. Both work at downtown Chicago but not sure commute will be so much of an issue. Our major concern is safety and raising good kids. Our budget is 180k. I'll appreciate genuine opinions or advice from anybody with experience on these places. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Out of the towns you mentioned I would look at Tinley Park. Homewood is nice too, but Midlothian is just ok.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 30,652 times
I lived in Oak Forest for a few years and was about 2 minutes away from Midlothian. Nothing much to speak of. Tinley Park is close to Orland mall and a lot of shopping out that way. My husband and I live in FLossmoor now with our two young children. Homewood has some decent shopping options, obviously no mall though. I'd say all three are probably on par as far as safety and neighboorhoods go. Just your average working class towns.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:30 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Please,

let me chime in. I grew up in "tinley park" and went to school form kindergarten all the way through high school. I lived in the area of 175th st and 94th ave. The schools in the area are very nice. I attended Mcauliffe, then prairie view , then Andrew Highschool. I do not have much bad to say about the schools. As for the area. Tinley park is the typical suburban life. Everything is going to be a good 10 minute drive. I rode my bike everywhere when I was a kid and never had much problems finding friends. It is very quiet at night and during the day. A lot of the good shopping is in Orland Park and people drive form Midlo and homewood to go there. I don't now what 180k will get you over there now a days though, as I left Illinois now live in austin texas. Before moving out of Orland, i did notice that the neighborhoods in some areas were getting a influx of ghetto people coming in, due to pace buses carting them in form harvey...

GOOD LUCK

Old 05-31-2015, 07:29 PM

57 posts, read 150,790 times
We relocated to Tinley Park from out of state about 1 year ago and we love it! Our primary concern was safety and good schools for our 4 children. We are on the District 230 side and the schools on the middle and high school level have far exceeded our expectations. We often take the Metra into the city and have had no problems. I can't speak to the other areas but we are very glad we chose Tinley Park.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
You'll probably regret Midlothian. Average to below average schools, financially struggling, violent crimes are not uncommon, though not frequent either. There are few amenities, even for groceries you just have one small store available. Take a drive down 147th St. through the town, and I'm pretty sure you'll cross it off your list.

Homewood and Tinley Park are both quite nice. They have different characters. Tinley Park does have a quaint downtown area, but is mostly anonymous suburban sprawl. Homewood is much smaller, and arguably more charming overall. By far the most shopping, and the highest end shopping, in the south suburbs is in Orland Park. You'll be a lot closer to that in Tinley. However, Homewood has just about every big box store you'll need along Halsted Ave.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Midlothian around the country club is historic and charming, and assigned to Oak Forest schools.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:02 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Midlothian around the country club is historic and charming, and assigned to Oak Forest schools.
Seems a bit of stretch, but certainly that would be the most desirable area if you had to be in Midlothian.

However:

https://mymidlothian.wordpress.com/2...tion-location/

https://mymidlothian.wordpress.com/2...nuary-31-2015/

https://mymidlothian.wordpress.com/2...lothian-needs/

Old 06-02-2015, 10:02 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Seems a bit of stretch, but certainly that would be the most desirable area if you had to be in Midlothian.

However:

https://mymidlothian.wordpress.com/2...tion-location/

https://mymidlothian.wordpress.com/2...nuary-31-2015/

https://mymidlothian.wordpress.com/2...lothian-needs/
Wow, I read through those posts, the village seems to be in serious trouble with questionable management. Reading through the first post, I almost thought it was joke it seemed so dire. That's not good for the citizenry at all. It also seems like there are hidden agendas at play involving the finances which is another sad Illinois predictable move.

I live out of state now, but used to live in my beloved Flossmoor. I do miss Illinois and Chicago for many reasons, but this horrible corruption and mismanagement sends people away and keeps people away.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:16 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Tinley Park is the only one that is not in an obvious cycle of decline, though I personally prefer Homewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs