Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 42,979 times

Advertisements

Guys, we were wondering how the lombard area is?

My wife works in Addison and I work in Downers Grove.

We have no kids and are planning to have kids.

The houses we are looking at, is off butterfield road look, near kensington park.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I work and ride with a club in the area. It is a good middle of the road community, not the ritziest in DuPage County but not crappy at all.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I work and ride with a club in the area. It is a good middle of the road community, not the ritziest in DuPage County but not crappy at all.
Thanks, how about the schools in that area?

Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Some elementary schools in Lombard are better than others. Glenbard East is very "meh". Not a terrible high school by any means, but not great either. The Catholic option is pretty popular in Lombard.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Some elementary schools in Lombard are better than others. Glenbard East is very "meh". Not a terrible high school by any means, but not great either. The Catholic option is pretty popular in Lombard.
Can a student go from Glen East to Glen West or Glen South?

Are they really strict on school boundaries?

Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous-nit View Post
Can a student go from Glen East to Glen West or Glen South?

Are they really strict on school boundaries?
Yes, but only for certain circumstances. You can apply for a transfer, but it has to be approved. So, there would have to be a very concerning reason for a transfer like, not happy with teachers, kid is getting bullied, more classes for what the student wants to do after high school if their current high school has none or very little, etc. Glenbard East isn't a bad school at all. It ranks ok compared to other schools. Glenbard East has a more diverse population than the other Glenbards, so that skews the rankings. There are some good elementary schools again and some okay. Park View elementary is very good and I would try to stay buy in those boundaries.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:06 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
Are you looking at Lombard and Lombard alone?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Yes, but only for certain circumstances. You can apply for a transfer, but it has to be approved. So, there would have to be a very concerning reason for a transfer like, not happy with teachers, kid is getting bullied, more classes for what the student wants to do after high school if their current high school has none or very little, etc. Glenbard East isn't a bad school at all. It ranks ok compared to other schools. Glenbard East has a more diverse population than the other Glenbards, so that skews the rankings. There are some good elementary schools again and some okay. Park View elementary is very good and I would try to stay buy in those boundaries.
The home we are looking at serves these schools:

School Name (Serving the home) Type Grades Distance
Butterfield Elementary School Public Preschool to 5 0.42 mi
Manor Hill Elementary School Public K to 5 1.30 mi
Madison Elementary School Public K to 5 2.55 mi
Wm Hammerschmidt Elementary School Public K to 5 2.58 mi
Park View Elementary School Public K to 5 3.77 mi

Nearby High:

Glenbard South High School Public 9 to 12 1.84 mi
Glenbard East High School Public 9 to 12 1.87 mi
Montini Catholic High School Catholic9 to 12 2.12 mi
College Preparatry School of America Private Preschool to 12 2.36 mi
Comm H S Dist 99 North High School Public 9 to 12 2.79 mi

Nearby Middle:

Kindercare Learning Center Private Preschool to 7 1.02 mi
Glenn Westlake Middle School Public 6 to 8 1.21 mi
Glen Crest Middle School Public 6 to 8 1.21 mi
St James the Apostle Catholic Preschool to 8 1.37 mi
Herrick Middle School Public 7 to 8 2.58 mi

As you can see from the above, Glenbard South is closer than Glen East school, which is weird.

But the above in bold are the schools served by the home we are looking at.

What do you guys think of them?

Old 06-05-2015, 03:33 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Glen Ellyn or Wheaton is a better option than Lombard. If you can afford those I would suggest doing so. There is nothing wrong with Lombard its just kind of a middle of the road choice when you could live in a slightly better place.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,858 times
New here.

- we really like Hammerschmidt school and I've been impressed with Glenn Westlake, too. They gave every kid an iPAD this year. The neighborhoods in the core of Lombard are nicer than the unicorporated areas of Glen Ellyn or Wheaton in my opinion, but not as nice as the cores of those towns (obviously because Lombard's downtown is so lame - comparably). But they just revamped the train station so I hope that is the start of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs