Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 AM

4 posts, read 7,432 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are both teachers and newly weds and would like to start our lives with buying our first house together. We are currently living in New Lenox where we are renting month to month so we can move at any time. We are trying to move to a nice community closer to our work (Hillside) and have checked out online Wheaton, Elmhurst, Lombard and Brookfield. I have grown up near these areas (Franklin Park) but have never lived in any. We are looking for a nice starter home in the 200's. There were some options for us in Elmhurst, Lombard and Brookfield but found the most options in Wheaton. Is there any of the four people would recommend over the other three and why? Having a nicer house in a nicer area is more important to us than a fun downtown, but education is also a huge factor for us with us starting a family and staying here for a long time. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Wheaton and Elmhurst > Brookfield > Lombard

I personally wouldn't shop Lombard if the other three were options. Lombard isn't in the same ballpark with regard to school quality, amenities, active downtown district, charm, etc.

I'm surprised you found more listings in Wheaton than Brookfield or Lombard. Mid $200k for a SFH in Wheaton is tough. Can you better describe what kind of house you are looking for?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM

165 posts, read 309,994 times
Hi Jason,
I think they are all good options, especially Wheaton, Elmhurst, and Brookfield as Hollingsworth mentioned. Disclosure: I live in Brookfield and Hollingsworth lives in Wheaton. Elmhurst is probably the most expensive of the town, followed closely by Wheaton. Brookfield is significantly less expensive, and I'm not sure how Lombard prices out.

I think a lot of this is going to come down to what you consider a starter house and what you are looking for. Unless you're willing to make more sacrifices than an average couple in a starter house (which I actually think is quite commendable), I probably wouldn't recommend Elmhurst in the 200's. Pickings will be slim in Wheaton but there should be some options. 200's is where Brookfield really shines and has a comparative advantage over other towns. At that price point you get a solid, utilitarian if not spectacular house in a nice neighorhood with very good schools. Many of yours neighbors are nurses, teachers, etc. You simply have a hard time getting that in other towns in the 200's. There are small trade-offs, but I think it is a high value at that price point.

Also if you're talking HIGH 200's some of those Wheaton options will be available. If you want to go more mid 200, you'll still find good options in Brookfield but probably not so much in Wheaton. All of these are good options though, good luck!

UPPER 200's
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/14065094
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13292860
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/22845747

LOWER TO MID 200's
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13292939
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13294135
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13292960
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13294663

Old 07-13-2015, 10:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I agree with hollingsworth and agallan. I would prioritize Wheaton, Brookfield and Elmhurst over the other towns you mentioned. Elmhurst would set you up for a shorter commute than Wheaton, but finding a house in the 200's will be tough.

Ultimately, I think it's going to come down to finding the balance of house and commute time that you most prefer.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
Brookfield is going to be the best compromise between having a nice house and a nice area/good schools. Also, Brookfield is the closest to your work much more so than Wheaton.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the input. My wife and I put an offer on a place in Wheaton today. Hoping it works out

Old 08-07-2015, 09:29 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_rubo View Post
Thanks for the input. My wife and I put an offer on a place in Wheaton today. Hoping it works out
Hope you get the price you want! Keep us updated!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:04 AM

So we ended up not getting the dollar amounts to work out between us and the seller with our offer so we are on the search again. We are looking a little more at Elmhurst and Brookfield since they are the closest to our work. Are there areas of Brookfield we should no go by?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:19 AM

165 posts, read 309,994 times
There aren't any "bad" parts of Brookfield in the sense of safety or anything. But since good schools are important to you, you will want to look at the area in Brookfield roughly North of Ogden. That will put you into one of two elementary schools: Brook Park or Hollywood Elementary. Most consider Hollywood a slightly better elementary school, it is smaller, and it feeds into a better middle school. The trade-off is that the homes in the Hollywood section of Brookfield are most expensive, and since you're looking in the 200's there won't be many options in Hollywood for you. Brook Park is also a very good school and covers a large chunk of Brookfield and La Grange Park, I think one of the best "education quality per housing dollar" deals in the area. In terms of South Brookfield, Congress Park school if a perfectly fine school, just not as good as the previously mentioned two. Pass on Lyons District 103 (Lincoln Elementary) which serves a small part of Brookfield.

I hope you find some good options. Brookfield is a great town and offers a LOT for the money at your particular price-point. Feel free to reach out (perhaps a private message, I'm often too buy to peruse this site on a regular basis) if you have more questions.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:29 PM

Update:
We went out and actually found a nicer house in the north side of Wheaton and got an accepted offer! Thanks for the input everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs