Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:49 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,036,491 times

Advertisements

I think H/F would be perfect for a gay couple. Flossmoor and Homewood have beautiful/trendy picture-esque downtowns/store fronts. Both are quality towns filled with people who pretty much mind their own business. I'm sure you'll be just fine unless you throw a loud kegger because the police in those two respected towns do NOT fool around. especially, the HOMEWOOD police department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 PM

801 posts, read 2,567,297 times
How about Oak Park or Evanston? If I was choosing a Chicago suburb, those two would be first on my list of gay-friendly suburbs. Evanston would probably be first because you can commute easily to Lakeview.

In the city, you can be very happy and supported anywhere in Lakeview, or up-and-down Lake Shore Drive. There are lots of LGBT events and support groups (including for LGBT families) at the Center on Halsted which is on the north end of Lakeview.

My impression of Andersonville has always been that the buildings/streets are old and that the area seems crowded. There never seems to be any respite from people, cars, and noise when I've visited there, and the busy ethnic Asian neighborhood that is adjacent leaves me feeling a little unsettled.

Other than a small pub in Blue Island there are NO gay organizations, gathering places, or bars. I understand you're not dating if you're in a relationship or have a family, but it does not seem to be healthy to be so isolated, and a lot of south side LGBT individuals get too reliant on online because its the only social outlet.

The exception to the above is that there are a sprinkling of gay-supportive churches and orgs such as PFLAG in the southern suburbs.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 PM

300 posts, read 639,584 times
Ive been in the South Surburbs since the early 1990's, and I dont see that much LGBT activity around these parts. Homewood/Flossmoor is more of a middle aged family with kids sort of place. I have seen LGBT flags in Blue Island, and it's a overall nice community. Steer clear of areas such as Milothdian,Crestwood,Alsip. It's alot of racist tension in that area, I can recall seeing cars driving by with confederate flags and crap like that. How about up North? Northside is FLOWING with LGBT..I hope this helped

Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 PM

363 posts, read 440,075 times
HF is very gay friendly. Maybe you won't see a ton of rainbow flag waving or pda's between same-sex couples, but I there are plenty of gays and they are safe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs