Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 7,384 times

Advertisements

New here. Recently found out my husbands company is relocating from Indianapolis Indiana to Illinois. They don't have an exact location but told him it'll be between Chicago and Joliet. We have a three year old and a new little one due in November. I love where we live now but this could be a great opportunity for my husband to advance. Wed have a house budget of no more than 250k and safety is a big concern as well as a good school district. We don't go out so night life doesn't matter to us. I'm just trying to get an idea on where to look and what to expect. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Budget will be a challenge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janobrien View Post
New here. Recently found out my husbands company is relocating from Indianapolis Indiana to Illinois. They don't have an exact location but told him it'll be between Chicago and Joliet. We have a three year old and a new little one due in November. I love where we live now but this could be a great opportunity for my husband to advance. Wed have a house budget of no more than 250k and safety is a big concern as well as a good school district. We don't go out so night life doesn't matter to us. I'm just trying to get an idea on where to look and what to expect. Thanks.
If you can find a nice home in Darien or Woodridge that might your best bet, mostly safe towns served by schools that are neither top tier nor severely underperforming. Not a whole lot of nightlife but decent access to normal shopping and such... You will find it more affordable than towns that have better rail access, but that does not sound like a concern. Reasonable commute to Joliet while still be central enough to be able to get into Chicago and even the north / northwest suburbs via 355 if need be.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Could Joliet be an option? They seem to have homes within our budget that look very nice. It seems housing is far more expensive than where we are now. Even with his pay increase I'm concerned we will end up living in a dangerous area.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Joliet has a tiny handful of nice areas, mostly near the "Cathedral district" and few newer areas. The core is badly suffering from decades of lost manufacturing jobs that really have never been replaced. Even in the nicer areas the quality of public schools is questionable and many families choose parochial schools that massively increases household cost of living when you have school aged children.

You will need to way the increased living expenses; if the move does not make sense for the career growth of your husband there is certainly reason to be concerned.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
I would wait to go house hunting until your husband finds out exactly where he will be working. There are a lot of places in between Chicago and Joliet. If it ends up being closer to Chicago, NW Indiana would be the best option for you.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janobrien View Post
my husbands company is relocating from Indianapolis Indiana to Illinois.
Really? according to all the press, it should be the other way around... interesting.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 PM

Something to do with a train that stops in Illinois and cutting the cost of having to send the items to indy since the ports in Joliet.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 AM

Facility will be located in Joliet. Any suggestions?

Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
You can get a nice house for your budget in New Lenox. New Lenox has good schools and it's not far from Joliet at all.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 PM

279 posts, read 592,067 times
Which of the places mentioned have the best school districts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs