Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:18 AM

12 posts, read 30,107 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get a feel if there are any buyers out there. Our house has been on the market since Nov. and I'm hoping with the rate lowerings and it being a "buyers" market that more people will get out and decide to buy. Love to hear some feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
Default We're looking

We just moved to the area and are camped in an apartment till we find what we're looking for. Definitely skittish about where home values are headed, since the Chicago area doesn't seem to have "corrected" as much as some other areas. Then again, we don't want to be paying rent when we could be paying down a mortgage.

I don't know if we're typical or the beginning of a trend (or perhaps just oddballs), but we're looking for a smaller house with a bigger yard. Energy prices have us thinking all those McMansions are going to be the Hummers of homes-- keeping them comfortably heated and cooled will bankrupt people not too long from now.

What disappoints me is that builders out here haven't seemed to heard of the term "green" other than for paint color. I'm from Boston and my friends back there honestly can't believe there isn't an ample supply of recently built energy-efficient or eco-friendly housing. I've heard of Prairie Crossing and Bigelow Homes, but really, that's only two subdivisions out of an entire metropolitan area.

If I wanted a McMansion, I'd be all set. We have the money, just not the desire.

Rate drops will help. If the proposal to lift the cap higher on Jumbo mortgages goes through, that will help, too. What would help the most is if sellers out here would price realistically and if builders would turn an eye to fuel prices these days.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 AM

101 posts, read 435,763 times
Yes, we are relocating and need to buy a house in the Buffalo Grove area.
Michele

Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM

38 posts, read 137,199 times
Yes, we are currently looking in Oak Park. We sold our house in the city and are renting in OP until we find a place to buy - which I really hope will be soon. The problem is that we have a very specific geographic area we want to live in and the inventory isn't that great right now.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM

220 posts, read 744,678 times
Always have my eyes open for the right property. Plus, I don't have a house to try to sell.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 PM

162 posts, read 803,661 times
I'm building right now and listing my place next week.

The market where I am selling at is still pretty good - based on movement of town homes similar to mine in the past 3-6 months.

But with housing prices where they are and rates so low, if you can do it, now is a great time to buy. No, I am not in real estate.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
We just moved to the area and are camped in an apartment till we find what we're looking for. Definitely skittish about where home values are headed, since the Chicago area doesn't seem to have "corrected" as much as some other areas. Then again, we don't want to be paying rent when we could be paying down a mortgage.

I don't know if we're typical or the beginning of a trend (or perhaps just oddballs), but we're looking for a smaller house with a bigger yard. Energy prices have us thinking all those McMansions are going to be the Hummers of homes-- keeping them comfortably heated and cooled will bankrupt people not too long from now.

What disappoints me is that builders out here haven't seemed to heard of the term "green" other than for paint color. I'm from Boston and my friends back there honestly can't believe there isn't an ample supply of recently built energy-efficient or eco-friendly housing. I've heard of Prairie Crossing and Bigelow Homes, but really, that's only two subdivisions out of an entire metropolitan area.

If I wanted a McMansion, I'd be all set. We have the money, just not the desire.

Rate drops will help. If the proposal to lift the cap higher on Jumbo mortgages goes through, that will help, too. What would help the most is if sellers out here would price realistically and if builders would turn an eye to fuel prices these days.

My two cents. Hope it helps.
I wouldn't expect to Chicago to correct nearly as much as the coasts, because the boom here was much more gradual.

Another thing to note: Unlike much of the east coast, many homes here are heated with electric, which is almost chiefly powered by coal. We won't run out of coal anytime soon, so prices for electric won't rise the way gas will, but coal plants now are still dirty as hell, so environmentally coal has a long way to go before being a clean energy (though it can be done, it just requires moolah)

Old 01-25-2008, 02:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post

I don't know if we're typical or the beginning of a trend (or perhaps just oddballs), but we're looking for a smaller house with a bigger yard.
My sense tells me you are a part of an emerging trend as it relates to house. Bigger is not always better. Timeless and tasteful quality prevails.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I hope thats the trend; I feel like the McMansions are the trend right now. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back again.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:00 PM

97 posts, read 202,813 times
Yes, we are renters ready to buy (not throwing money away, it has been MUCH cheaper to rent than buy).

We wont buy until sellers wise up and BRING IT DOWN MAN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs