Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,224 times

Advertisements

Here's a bit of a background. My husband and I currently live north of Rockford. He makes around 90k per year and we live comfortably. I have worked part time in healthcare administration while raising my children aged 7 & 4. We have his family in town so we've never had to worry about childcare costs or issues. I have recently been offered a full time position in my dream job. It's pays 50k base compensation with bonus potential. The biggest issue is that the job is in northbrook. When the opportunity came about I assumed my husband would be against it. But he agreed that it would be perfect for me and suggested we look at relocating somewhere between the two places. Iv been looking at barrington/palatine/buffalo grove and I'm shocked at the increase in cost of living, particularly the rent. Even though I would make some money renting out my current residence I will be looking at my increasing my housing cost by 150%, and having to pay childcare. I also worry about having a childcare issue when my husband is 1hr 15mins away and I'm 30-40mins away. (Iv always worked very close to home). I'm trying to figure out if this dream job on paper will become a real life nightmare. If I'm looking at strictly numbers and commute, is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I can speak from experience that it can be EXTREMELY stressful and COSTLY to have to deal with childcare issues that are far from the primary work location of either parent. It is much easier to have access to trusted family members or friends.

If the move means that won't be a possibility I would recommend some kind of professional nanny that will be able to drive themself to your home. Even though a nanny seems expensive the relative cost compared to daycare /aftercare that is VERY close to school for the kids BUT far from work means that whenever traffic makes you late you will be subject to "overtime fees" and that quickly adds up.

You need to do some serious calculations about the housing costs, transportation costs, total childcare costs and THEN really decide if overall the whole proposition really makes sense. The pluses that might tip toward "yes" include ability to put away more money for retirement, but you have to weigh these against the FAR HIGHER STRESS LEVELS that spending so much time in traffic, heading in OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS, will almost certainly cause for the whole family...

Old 08-11-2015, 01:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
What would be your budget if you end up moving? I'm familiar with both of the Rockford and Chicago areas and it is a dramatic price difference. Even if you move from a really nice area around Rockford to an ok suburb of Chicago, it's still much more expensive to live in the Chicago suburbs.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:52 PM

Ideally we would prefer to spend less then $2500 on rent. We would need a 3bedroom. We live pretty modestly so we just want a safe neighborhood in a good school district.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,304 times
Is your husband's job north of Rockford?

Old 08-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Husbands job is Rockford. Close to st Anthony's.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,314 times
You can still get a nice house for $2,500 in the Chicago suburbs. However, if your husband works in Rockford while you would be working in Northbrook, at least one if you will have a long commute. Look at somme of the towns in between Rockford and Northbrook, like Crystal Lake, Cary, Fox River Grove, Huntley, or even Barrington. If you do live in one of these towns, it will be an hour each way which is something to think about.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
My husband works in Stickney, IL, and I worked in Northbrook for 20 years, and at the time had very small children. I found daycare close to my work, and that worked well, although I had to get up extra early to get them there. I also eventually got a nanny, and it was 2 to 3 times more expensive than daycare. With nannies, while you get convenience, they like to take days off too, and that leaves you out of luck, unless you can get a relative to watch your kids at a moment's notice. I fired two nannies as well, so you have to be careful to get lots of recommendations and hire from an excellent service. My last nanny was wonderful, but I did end up having to take a lot of time off of work because she did like to take vacations, unpaid, but if you hire an individual you really like, you have to make concessions.

I eventually put them back in daycare again as the cost of the nanny was $2600/month, and it was very very expensive. They like raises each year too! Daycare was much more affordable, although they did get sick every minute, but once they go into school, they get sick every minute as well. If I were you, I would do daycare near my work, or have hubby take them to daycare near his work. That way, one of you will be close by at all times. Daycare may be cheaper up in Rockford (does he work near Rockford too?).

Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
My husband works in Stickney, IL, and I worked in Northbrook for 20 years, and at the time had very small children. I found daycare close to my work, and that worked well, although I had to get up extra early to get them there. I also eventually got a nanny, and it was 2 to 3 times more expensive than daycare. With nannies, while you get convenience, they like to take days off too, and that leaves you out of luck, unless you can get a relative to watch your kids at a moment's notice. I fired two nannies as well, so you have to be careful to get lots of recommendations and hire from an excellent service. My last nanny was wonderful, but I did end up having to take a lot of time off of work because she did like to take vacations, unpaid, but if you hire an individual you really like, you have to make concessions.

I eventually put them back in daycare again as the cost of the nanny was $2600/month, and it was very very expensive. They like raises each year too! Daycare was much more affordable, although they did get sick every minute, but once they go into school, they get sick every minute as well. If I were you, I would do daycare near my work, or have hubby take them to daycare near his work. That way, one of you will be close by at all times. Daycare may be cheaper up in Rockford (does he work near Rockford too?).
But once the kids are school age, they will be in school near where they live, unless enrolled in a private school. So using day care near work locations will only work for so long if in public schools. I have been there, done that. Though a long time ago.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:49 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
But once the kids are school age, they will be in school near where they live, unless enrolled in a private school. So using day care near work locations will only work for so long if in public schools. I have been there, done that. Though a long time ago.
When my kids were school age, the schools had after work care you could pay for. Of course, it wasn't near either of our work locations, but we had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs