Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times

Advertisements

I don't think Itasca is a bad choice. If I were in your situation, it would be one of my top choices. Anywhere in the Lake Park HS district: Itasca, Bloomingdale, Roselle, Medinah, will be good choices.

EGV and Schaumburg would be a good too. Skip Bensenville and Wood Dale; schools are not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:08 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
=chet everett;40875831]My own cousin has a very nice sized industrial company in EGV. He lives in Hinsdale and I know how much time he spends "managing his financial affairs" vs "managing the business" -- they're about equal!

I know LOTS of other folks in Hinsdale, Elmhurst, Oak Brook and other towns in pretty much the same situation so MAYBE you should rethink your criticism!

Further I have met more than a few of the people that work in the various skilled roles in the industrial and logistics firms in EGV and many of them clearly are not eager to see any sort of movement of jobs to other nations.

Finally, all but a tiny portion of EGV is in COOK Co. so maybe you should check what you "know about" - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_...lage,_Illinois
I am well aware of the borders of DuPage County, but this thread is about Itasca (DuPage) and EGV area (portions of which are in DuPage, including next-door industrial Bensenville). Tax rate was only one of several reasons I listed for successful businesses being attracted (and relocating) to the area, along with access to O'Hare transportation hub, major highways, central locale, a manufacturing/warehouse power infrastructure, etc.

I guess your knowledge of your one cousin's affairs and some people you met from Hinsdale area gives you the authority to characterize us "ownership folk" as the hand-to-mouth "sorts of people" who are really angry about wages and immigration, worshipful of a buffoon candidate, and living in "uncharming" towns. Lmao.

Your statements make it apparent to me that you do not know the ownership in the area, you know your one cousin. I could throw out anecdotes about owners phoning it in while moving around their money from a beach chair, but that's not data. Follow the ownership paper trails to see they're not all like your cousin. Or maybe they're involved in the day-to-day not because they need to be, but because they *gasp* want to be.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Listen PAL, take your attitude elsewhere!

The once healthy mix of HQ buildings, warehouses, and industrial sites is hurting BADLY in the region. The former Boise / OfficeMAX site had been vacant for about a decade, their are massive vacancies in all the industrial parks, many distribution facilities have also been shuttered.

Even Wirtz distribution has moved. Check out the radio ads that the EGV economic development people are running.

Illinois continues to squeeze business owners and stupid cheerleaders that fail to acknowledge that are going are going to wake up only when their own job is moved out of state.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Listen PAL, take your attitude elsewhere!

The once healthy mix of HQ buildings, warehouses, and industrial sites is hurting BADLY in the region. The former Boise / OfficeMAX site had been vacant for about a decade, their are massive vacancies in all the industrial parks, many distribution facilities have also been shuttered.

Even Wirtz distribution has moved. Check out the radio ads that the EGV economic development people are running.

Illinois continues to squeeze business owners and stupid cheerleaders that fail to acknowledge that are going are going to wake up only when their own job is moved out of state.
Let me get this straight... You blanket characterize Itasca/Elk Grove Village area business owners as hand-to-mouth, cheerleaders against immigration, worshipful of buffoon candidates, living in "uncharming" areas, and I'm the one with the attitude because I called you out on this?

There are businesses moving in/out of the area all the time. Such is the nature of the overall manufacturing economy...

One example...

Forsythe building data center in Elk Grove Village - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Also...
http://www.theelkgrovebook.com/chapter-index.php?id=16

"In Elk Grove, manufacturers will discover why the village is host to more than 3,600 businesses; why it is the Number Two Illinois city with the most manufacturing jobs; and why 100,000 people commute from surrounding residential communities such as Itasca, Wood Dale, and Mount Prospect to work here. The five-square-mile Elk Grove Business Park, the largest industrial park in North America, is in close proximity to O'Hare International Airport and numerous highways such as I-90, I-290, I-355, Route 53, and the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway. This ensures the vital transportation network necessary for making sure your products reach their customers."

And I'm not on the EGV marketing committee... just have a low tolerance for misinformed C-D posters who are misinforming others...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 08-19-2015 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 07:48 AM

There is a big difference between living hand to mouth and dealing with run away taxes, unfair workers compensation, and attitude of milk em till.their dry hijinks of Illinois politics. Similarly no body is praising Bernie Sanders or Hilliary for their hair. You must not have much experience trying to stroll beyond the tiny village green if you think Itasca us walkable; try ambling along Thorndale or Irving Park Rd, cops will likely pick you up so they don't have to scrap you off the pavement between the thousands of vehicles ... Hardly the sort of situation even in My Prospect where the Metra station is well.integrated into the neighborhood...

Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
There is a big difference between living hand to mouth and dealing with run away taxes, unfair workers compensation, and attitude of milk em till.their dry hijinks of Illinois politics. Similarly no body is praising Bernie Sanders or Hilliary for their hair. You must not have much experience trying to stroll beyond the tiny village green if you think Itasca us walkable; try ambling along Thorndale or Irving Park Rd, cops will likely pick you up so they don't have to scrap you off the pavement between the thousands of vehicles ... Hardly the sort of situation even in My Prospect where the Metra station is well.integrated into the neighborhood...
What are you even talking about? Let's try to focus in on what I addressed: Your offensive, false blanket characterization of Itasca/EGV business owners, and your misunderstanding of the manufacturing significance of the area.

Off-topic points you are now trying to inject into the conversation in order to try to distract the reader:

- high taxes
- wages
- corrupt IL politics
- presidential candidates
- the walkability of Itasca (where was that mentioned in our conversation?)

Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM

What the heck are YOU talking about? You are the one that is BADLY misinformed! You clearly have a bug up your butt about the reality that is exists in the region.

This is about LAND USES. There is a LOT of vacant industrial space -- currently over a hundred listing on the specialized site that EGV has developed to try and attract tenants / buyers so that they can stem the outflow of businesses to other areas -- Industrial Property for Sale or Lease | Commercial Property in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

That exodus hurts the ability of the the towns to deliver services like fire, police, water, without raising municipal property taxes. Ultimately those vacancies result in less property tax wealth to support education too. It is a death spiral that has wrecked the south suburbs and the various elected officials and community minded people in EGV wisely want to stay ahead of that sort of scenario.

Similarly Itasca is really not in good economic shape -- the loss of firms in the corporate / industrial parks means loss of sales tax even on things like business leases, office equipment sales and food/lodging. That puts a crimp in the ability of the municipal staff to cover their budgets, and continued vacancies hurts the property tax revenues that schools rely on. There have been shifts in firm relocating to the Loop -- http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...er-from-itasca and idiots from Chicago tout this as some kind of "win" when it really is not a plus for the region.

The efforts of the Itasca Chamber of Commerce are, at best, ineffective -- Itasca Chamber of Commerce

Ultimately if developers decide to convert office / industrial areas into residential it will result in MORE people needing services from the municipality / schools with a SMALLER base of sales tax and low impact real estate taxes to support them and THAT is not a direction that anyone should look forward to -- Itasca business park may build apartments - DailyHerald.com

Old 08-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
What the heck are YOU talking about? You are the one that is BADLY misinformed! You clearly have a bug up your butt about the reality that is exists in the region.

This is about LAND USES. There is a LOT of vacant industrial space -- currently over a hundred listing on the specialized site that EGV has developed to try and attract tenants / buyers so that they can stem the outflow of businesses to other areas --]
As you well know, your offensive post that spurred my reaction had nothing whatsoever to do with land use, it was your stereotyping of people:

Quote:
probably some ownership level folks that if they manage things right have a nice life, but the sorts of people angry about stagnant wages and influx of immigrants (that might cheer for a certain presidential candidate with bad hair...) are probably also not likely to choose charming towns with a promising long term outlook...
A condescending, and very inaccurate portrayal of the many hard-working owners/employees of the area, many of whom are doing quite well.... And now, rather than owning up to you painting these people as a bunch of morons, you keep trying to change the subject.... I can assure you, not everyone investing/working in this area is a complete idiot, unlikely to choose a charming town. You may want to apologize for trying to depict them as such.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 08-19-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 12:54 PM

The only person that would get their nose out of joint over such a characterization, which I fully stand by, are exactly the kind of people that frankly I would not want as neighbors, small minded fools that would rather fight than seek understanding.

Unlike the majority of office work that is done in a "placeless" way with emails and connectivity linking together colleague in half a dozen time zones working in four different currencies, people engaged in a more industrial workplace face a much different set of challenges. They know they can't ask for a raise even if the firm is doing well because the firm can decide it makes more sense to move to a nation where wages are a fraction. Even if they are not DIRECTLY involved in such a firm the implications for shifts in population are not good.

I happen to have LOTS of relatives that work in all sorts of situations other than a white collar office -- when I am at an extended family event I often talk with cousins that are cops, firefighters, paramedics, heavy equipment operators, service technicians, tradespeople and all kinds blue-ish collar work that many people actively try to avoid. I do not look down on them one bit and I well know that as more and more firms pull up roots and head to neighboring states or other nations the difficulty that folks that truly are required to be "in the thick of it" face is compounded by the risk that even if they relocate along with the firm the shift toward automation may leave them in a far away state with no future... The towns that see population loss or stagnation end up, like was recently in the news about Frankfort, shuttering nearly new high schools. That has a domino effect on teachers, coaches, administrators. Even firefighters and cops may be effected. You can prattle on with how the politics of Illinois are irrelevant but when I see my young cousins thinking they may not make it to retirement without some kind "reduction in force" after tying their future to firefighting or public safety is a sobering reality...

Old 08-19-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
The only person that would get their nose out of joint over such a characterization, which I fully stand by, are exactly the kind of people that frankly I would not want as neighbors, small minded fools that would rather fight than seek understanding.

Unlike the majority of office work that is done in a "placeless" way with emails and connectivity linking together colleague in half a dozen time zones working in four different currencies, people engaged in a more industrial workplace face a much different set of challenges. They know they can't ask for a raise even if the firm is doing well because the firm can decide it makes more sense to move to a nation where wages are a fraction. Even if they are not DIRECTLY involved in such a firm the implications for shifts in population are not good.

I happen to have LOTS of relatives that work in all sorts of situations other than a white collar office -- when I am at an extended family event I often talk with cousins that are cops, firefighters, paramedics, heavy equipment operators, service technicians, tradespeople and all kinds blue-ish collar work that many people actively try to avoid. I do not look down on them one bit and I well know that as more and more firms pull up roots and head to neighboring states or other nations the difficulty that folks that truly are required to be "in the thick of it" face is compounded by the risk that even if they relocate along with the firm the shift toward automation may leave them in a far away state with no future... The towns that see population loss or stagnation end up, like was recently in the news about Frankfort, shuttering nearly new high schools. That has a domino effect on teachers, coaches, administrators. Even firefighters and cops may be effected. You can prattle on with how the politics of Illinois are irrelevant but when I see my young cousins thinking they may not make it to retirement without some kind "reduction in force" after tying their future to firefighting or public safety is a sobering reality...
Need I remind you, your characterization was specifically of "owner-level folks" (not the guy asking for the raise). Now you (only one on this thread who has resorted to name-calling and stereotyping) are calling others "small-minded" and unable to "seek understanding." Now that is rich.

I implore you to "seek understanding" of the "owner-level folks" you are attempting to portray. You don't think the largest industrial park in North America, near a large multi-cultural world-class city, next to one of the largest transportation hubs, with access to a highly educated/skilled populace, just might have a few "owner-level folks" who are savvy enough to be electronically connected (by e-mail even - seriously? I remember email) to colleagues, markets, suppliers, vendors around the world?

Do you really think all the products/raw materials are coming from the states, only to be sold in U.S. markets? There is also plenty of sales/service industry in the area that is not manufacturing based - e.g. large data storage/disaster recovery sites, large service contractors, many wholesalers/distributors... And you really think all these "owner-level folks" are driving in from non-charming towns? You may want to check your data on where they are commuting from (IF they are even commuting). Again, they are not all like your cousin Billy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs