Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:11 PM

19 posts, read 20,485 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a very small window to purchase a home and I have settled on Aurora (60503), Plainfield, Oswego. Whereas the homes are affordable the taxes are not going to work. If anyone knows of any comparable areas, nearby areas, or areas within the 3 cities please let me know. I have 2 weeks to find a home, get an offer accepted and inspection/appraisals done. Taxes need to be under 4K and the only county I can get a grant for is WILL.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 04:53 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
What's your budget? Also do schools matter?

Old 08-30-2015, 05:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Even if the taxes are under $4k which is tough I doubt they will be for very long.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 PM

Schools do not matter. I only got approved for 140K. So, I am walking a tight rope.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:56 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream View Post
Hello,

I have a very small window to purchase a home and I have settled on Aurora (60503), Plainfield, Oswego. Whereas the homes are affordable the taxes are not going to work. If anyone knows of any comparable areas, nearby areas, or areas within the 3 cities please let me know. I have 2 weeks to find a home, get an offer accepted and inspection/appraisals done. Taxes need to be under 4K and the only county I can get a grant for is WILL.

Thank you in advance!
Maybe you should consider a town home or condo. It's hard to find a single family residence near Chicago with such low taxes unless you buy in very poor areas where no one wants to live (ie Waukegan).

Old 08-31-2015, 10:42 AM

Exactly, my dilemma. Does anyone know of zip codes in WILL with low taxes? or Subdivisions?

Old 09-01-2015, 03:03 AM

39 posts, read 54,963 times
You can find a decent townhome for that prices but taxes below 4k are difficult + a townhome comes with HOA fees.

Oswego has really nice townhomes for below your price range but it's in Kendall County.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
If work is within a reasonable distance, I would look into NWI. You won't have to live in a townhouse or condo and taxes are much lower.

If NWI is too far, then Plainfield would be the best choice because it's in Will and it's a lot more affordable than the nice parts of Aurora. You could also check out Lockport, not far east of Plainfield. I would also look at the small towns in Will County if you're willing to go that far south like Manhattan, Braidwood, Elwood, Wilmington, etc. it will be much affordable there than Oswego, Plainfield, and Aurora.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronwright View Post
You can find a decent townhome for that prices but taxes below 4k are difficult + a townhome comes with HOA fees.

Oswego has really nice townhomes for below your price range but it's in Kendall County.

Thanks, I"m looking at Oswego homes today! Wish me blessings! With all of the non FHA approved properties it has been really hard. This is why there is so much rental property. FHA approved folks cannot buy anything that has lost it approval or let it lapse.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 11,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Agreed.
Property taxes are capped at 1% in Indiana. There is no cap in Illinois for comparison.
Simply put if you have a $200,000 home in Indiana you can't pay more than $2,000 a year in property taxes and usually its less than that anyway.
I'd disagree with this. For most of NWI, the cap is actually 2 percent. That doesn't include special assessments or referendums, which many schools are trying to pass thanks to the ridiculous funding formula. My taxes this year are a touch over $4k for a house assessed at $255k. We have an excellent school system and beautiful parks, and it's cheaper than much of IL, but we also have a county income tax.

The OP needs to be in Will County to use a grant, but even so, NWI isn't all is cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs