Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 11,168 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm potentially moving from LA to pursue a job offer in Harvard, IL but I want to see if I can find a place that I would enjoy living in.

I really do hate LA for these reasons: the heat, smog, traffic, bad transport, superficiality, lack of community, high cost of living, and lack of a good theater culture (i LOVE live theater, and they have some terrible ones here). Chicago is virtually the opposite of all these things, but unfortunately the place where I'd be working is in Harvard, IL.

I'm looking for a town between Chicago and Harvard that has a youthful culture, since I'm moving all on my own and want a nice community feel amongst other college-ish-aged people so I could make some friends (I'm 23). I really liked Chicago when I visited and would want to be close enough so I could be there pretty frequently. I don't have a car, so I'd be taking the bus/train.

So far my best options seem to be: Woodstock, Crystal Lake, Arlington Heights, and Barrington.

Let me know! Any help at all is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,427,419 times
I'd suggest you add Palatine to your list.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM

103 posts, read 158,139 times
AH would be the best option for you. Unfortunately, it will still be lame suburbia. Depending where your work location is exactly, you might want to consider reverse commuting from the west loop and take the UPNW and bring your bike to get to work from the station.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,847,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
AH would be the best option for you. Unfortunately, it will still be lame suburbia. Depending where your work location is exactly, you might want to consider reverse commuting from the west loop and take the UPNW and bring your bike to get to work from the station.
I had a secretary who moved to Harvard and took the train downtown and was absolutely miserable due to the commute. She wanted to sell the house shortly after buying it and move back closer to the city.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:47 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,392,305 times
LA to Harvard, Illinois. That's about as big a change as one can make!

We lived in the McHenry - Crystal Lake area and loved it, but we're a family of 6, so can't vouch for any single, young adult culture there.

Have you actually been to Harvard? It's a HAUL from any of the hip suburbs like Arlington Heights, or even Palatine. Harvard is a puny town up by the Wisconsin border surrounded by farms. There used to be a giant Motorola facility there, but it was abandoned when we lived there. I'd be interested to know what kind of work would bring one to Harvard, IL from a place like LA if you don't mind sharing.

Even though the Metra system is extensive, I also can't imagine being your age and without a car if you're going to be running between Chicago, the suburbs, and all the way out to Harvard on a consistent basis. Others will disagree, but IMO you might want to rethink that.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
LA to Harvard, Illinois. That's about as big a change as one can make!

We lived in the McHenry - Crystal Lake area and loved it, but we're a family of 6, so can't vouch for any single, young adult culture there.

Have you actually been to Harvard? It's a HAUL from any of the hip suburbs like Arlington Heights, or even Palatine. Harvard is a puny town up by the Wisconsin border surrounded by farms. There used to be a giant Motorola facility there, but it was abandoned when we lived there. I'd be interested to know what kind of work would bring one to Harvard, IL from a place like LA if you don't mind sharing.

Even though the Metra system is extensive, I also can't imagine being your age and without a car if you're going to be running between Chicago, the suburbs, and all the way out to Harvard on a consistent basis. Others will disagree, but IMO you might want to rethink that.
Yeah good point, I'll explain my situation a little further.

I'm trying to become a SLPA--Speech Language Pathologist Assistant. It's good pay, I'd be making about 4300 a month. I'm stuck in a rut in LA--my rent is too high for what I make. And because you have to have waaaay more qualifications to become an SLPA in California, I have the choice between taking 1-2 years of community college here and being in a competitive job market, or simply moving out of state.

Originally, I was trying to move to Portland or Seattle but the only job offering they had open for me was in Harvard, IL. And because the school is primarily Latino, and I have experience in both Spanish and Linguistics, and I got stellar grades, they really want me for the spot.

But based off of what you guys are saying I might not take it, I wouldn't mind if it was just a little closer, like Palatine or Crystal Lake but it seems to be pretty out there.

From my angle, I was thinking since I'd have a lot of money I'd be saving every month, I could use some of it for weekend trips into Chicago, like get an airbnb and just stay for the weekend and enjoy the city.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:59 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,392,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfalconer View Post
Yeah good point, I'll explain my situation a little further.

I'm trying to become a SLPA--Speech Language Pathologist Assistant. It's good pay, I'd be making about 4300 a month. I'm stuck in a rut in LA--my rent is too high for what I make. And because you have to have waaaay more qualifications to become an SLPA in California, I have the choice between taking 1-2 years of community college here and being in a competitive job market, or simply moving out of state.

Originally, I was trying to move to Portland or Seattle but the only job offering they had open for me was in Harvard, IL. And because the school is primarily Latino, and I have experience in both Spanish and Linguistics, and I got stellar grades, they really want me for the spot.

But based off of what you guys are saying I might not take it, I wouldn't mind if it was just a little closer, like Palatine or Crystal Lake but it seems to be pretty out there.

From my angle, I was thinking since I'd have a lot of money I'd be saving every month, I could use some of it for weekend trips into Chicago, like get an airbnb and just stay for the weekend and enjoy the city.
Well I wouldn't want to discourage your career aspirations, so if it's a step in the direction you want to go, then don't hold back. That sounds like really good money for an assistant. Is that job tied in with the Mercy Health System in Harvard by any chance? I worked for Mercy when we lived in the area and enjoyed it. Actually regret leaving at this point, but that's another story for another time.

I would recommend looking into Crystal Lake to live in to start, because that's a decent sized town with lots of retail shopping and restaurants (although many are chains), and it has Metra service to both Harvard and Chicago. I wouldn't imagine you'd want to be as far from work as a place like Arlington Heights would put you, and CL is only 2 stops in from Harvard. The train to Chicago from CL takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get into the loop with about 19 stops along the way, unless they've cut or added any since we moved last winter. CL has a nice little downtown, and even a brewery, but it probably wouldn't fit your full time bill for nightlife, especially in the mold of Chicago or its closer in suburbs......which is exactly where Metra comes into play. Thing about that is I don't think the train coming back from Ogilvie in Chicago runs much past midnight (I could be wrong, so check it out), so you may indeed need to stay over or get a ride back if you plan on going deep into any particular night. CL is not really going to be conducive to being in Chicago several times a week after work, though, so if that's more important than the work commute then you definitely need to look further in for a place to settle.

Remember also, that you'll be renting (I assume to start) and in turn won't be tied down to one area for more than 6 months to a year. You could plop down in a place like CL to start and spend that time checking out all the other places that could eventually turn into more permanent dwellings. You could also eventually land a better job closer to, or even in Chicago. Maybe this one in Harvard is just your springboard to all that.

Whatever you do, Chicago is worth it. I didn't move to the area until I was already married with kids, but what I would have given to have had a shot at that town when I was single.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 09-26-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Well I wouldn't want to discourage your career aspirations, so if it's a step in the direction you want to go, then don't hold back. That sounds like really good money for an assistant. Is that job tied in with the Mercy Health System in Harvard by any chance? I worked for Mercy when we lived in the area and enjoyed it. Actually regret leaving at this point, but that's another story for another time.

I would recommend looking into Crystal Lake to live in to start, because that's a decent sized town with lots of retail shopping and restaurants (although many are chains), and it has Metra service to both Harvard and Chicago. I wouldn't imagine you'd want to be as far from work as a place like Arlington Heights would put you, and CL is only 2 stops in from Harvard. The train to Chicago from CL takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get into the loop with about 19 stops along the way, unless they've cut or added any since we moved last winter. CL has a nice little downtown, and even a brewery, but it probably wouldn't fit your full time bill for nightlife, especially in the mold of Chicago or its closer in suburbs......which is exactly where Metra comes into play. Thing about that is I don't think the train coming back from Ogilvie in Chicago runs much past midnight (I could be wrong, so check it out), so you may indeed need to stay over or get a ride back if you plan on going deep into any particular night. CL is not really going to be conducive to being in Chicago several times a week after work, though, so if that's more important than the work commute then you definitely need to look further in for a place to settle.

Remember also, that you'll be renting (I assume to start) and in turn won't be tied down to one area for more than 6 months to a year. You could plop down in a place like CL to start and spend that time checking out all the other places that could eventually turn into more permanent dwellings. You could also eventually land a better job closer to, or even in Chicago. Maybe this one in Harvard is just your springboard to all that.

Whatever you do, Chicago is worth it. I didn't move to the area until I was already married with kids, but what I would have given to have had a shot at that town when I was single.
Thanks for all that.
Yeah I mean, I probably wouldn't ever be out on the town on a weekday night anyways and if I just rented a room somewhere then I'd have more then enough money to both save as well as make weekend excursions. Crystal Lake is still pretty out there but I'm still considering it, they're not even sure I have the position. And he'll, I'm young and could leave whenever I wanted.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 AM

65 posts, read 102,692 times
Ok, so you have to move somewhere close to the NW train
Let's see... if you want your ride time to be under an hour, you will live in a "boring" town for young people so, no fun for you.

If you are okay with your ride being OVER an hour, I'd suggest Arlington Heights, close to train station, Palatine(maybe a big boring for young people, but whatever) , and I would say Schaumburg, but it doesn't have the train, which you would use often.

I also do not recommend Crystal Lake like most above are. A bit of "lame suburbia", once again.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Is Arlington Heights good for young people? I heard it was kind of for rich families, but I also heard it has some great bars and restaurants. I guess in my situation my options are pretty limited. I do have to say that I am used to living in LOS ANGELES without a car and commuting at least an hour with two buses. If I'm on a comfy train for an hour and 20 minutes it might not be so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs