Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,053 times

Advertisements

We are currently thinking of making the move from IN back to the western suburbs where we attended school. Our housing budget is 350k max and we want great schools (and who doesn't?)

With our current employment situation we will not in the foreseeable future have to commute to the city.

After doing some research on public high schools, it looks like Geneva and Naperville have to 2 best schools districts where we could afford a decent house.

We really like Wheaton but it just doesn't look like the schools are quite up to par with the previous two.

If commuting (as in our case) was a non issue would more choose to live in Geneva? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM

122 posts, read 201,246 times
Spend a day in Geneva and without any doubt, I guarantee, that you will fall in love with the area!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
More people would move to to Geneva and it would be price harder if it wasn't so far away from the city. Schools rank comparably to Wheaton's and Naperville's.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_norris View Post
After doing some research on public high schools, it looks like Geneva and Naperville have to 2 best schools districts where we could afford a decent house.

We really like Wheaton but it just doesn't look like the schools are quite up to par with the previous two.
This is definitely not true. I'm not sure what sources you are looking at (please don't say "Great Schools"), but Wheaton schools are definitely on par with Geneva and Naperville, and probably a notch up from Geneva.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
After doing some research on public high schools, it looks like Geneva and Naperville have to 2 best schools districts where we could afford a decent house. We really like Wheaton but it just doesn't look like the schools are quite up to par with the previous two.
Not sure where you got your info, because...

Like-for-like PSAE and ACT exam scores, AP exam participation rates and scores, national publication rankings (Newsweek and US News), Illinois State Scholar recipients, National Merit recipients, placement of students at Ivy and other top-ranked universities, etc. etc. all put Wheaton high schools ahead of Geneva. Same goes for elementary school metrics.

Bottomline, both towns' schools are excellent, with great local reputations. And both towns are outstanding places to live, oozing with charm. Ditto for the other Tri-Cities, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, Western Springs and La Grange.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 10-09-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Not sure where you got your info, because...

Like-for-like PSAE and ACT exam scores, AP exam participation rates and scores, national publication rankings, Illinois State Scholar recipients, National Merit recipients, placement of students at Ivy and other top-ranked universities, etc. etc. all put Wheaton high schools ahead of Geneva. Same goes for elementary school metrics.

Bottomline, both towns' schools have great local reputations. And both towns are outstanding places to live, oozing with charm. Ditto for the other Tri-Cities, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, Western Springs and La Grange.
The other two Tri-Cities are Batavia and St. Charles, for those not familiar with west suburban nomenclature.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Wheaton has great schools. Choosing among the top towns in Dupage is just splitting hairs. So much depends on your child, native intelligence and motivation.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,053 times
I used Illinois Report Card and http://schools.chicagotribune.com for the majority of my information.

Here are my findings below:

-Wheaton North (ACT 24.2, PSAE 77%, Low Income 24.4%, Ready for College 74%)
-Wheaton South (ACT 23.2, PSAE 68.9%, Low Income 20.3%, Ready for College 67%)
-Geneva (ACT 24.2, PSAE 80.6%, Low Income 5.2%, Ready for College 78%)
-Naperville North (ACT 25, PSAE 80%, Low Income 15.2%, Ready for College 78%)
-Naperville Central (ACT 25.2, PSAE 80.3%, Low Income 10%, Ready for College 80%)
-Downers Grove North (ACT 23.5, PSAE 77.4%, Low Income 20.5%, Ready for College 67%)
-Downers Grove South (ACT 22.3, PSAE 67.1%, Low Income 29.5%, Ready for College 60%)

Granted our children are only 4yo and 2yo, so we still have plenty of time to make a decision regarding high schools. We just want to get into a school district that would feed into the "best" high school (obviously).

Is the % of low income students something that really needs to be taken into consideration?

Thank you all for your responses and keep 'em coming!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
I used Illinois Report Card and http://schools.chicagotribune.com for the majority of my information.

Here are my findings below:

-Wheaton North (ACT 24.2, PSAE 77%, Low Income 24.4%, Ready for College 74%)
-Wheaton South (ACT 23.2, PSAE 68.9%, Low Income 20.3%, Ready for College 67%)
-Geneva (ACT 24.2, PSAE 80.6%, Low Income 5.2%, Ready for College 78%)
Here is the data for 2014:

US News ranks Wheaton North as the #29 best public high school in Illinois, while Geneva is ranked #49. Newsweek ranks Wheaton North as the #388 best high school in the nation, Geneva didn't make the cut. Wheaton North and South also have a higher percentage of staff holding a Master's degree or higher (95% and 90% versus 87%) and offer more AP and Honors classes.

Sources:
Illinois Report Card
Search Illinois High Schools | US News
Geneva School Profile
Wheaton North School Profile
Wheaton Warrenville South School Profile

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 10-09-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 07:40 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Geneva is a really nice town, and if you like it, go for it. I wouldn't live there because I love the city and a big thing for me is easy access to Chicago. But if I didn't care about that, and was one of those people who just wants to be in a metro area for the very occasional trip to the big city, I'd certainly consider Geneva. Nice downtown, some good restaurants, nice river area, you have the minor league baseball team, and a really nice courthouse (not that the latter matters to too many folks).

My own personal sense (that maybe no one else shares) is that Geneva has more of a small town feel, whereas Wheaton has more of a suburban feel. I think it depends on which you prefer. If you want to be downtown more than occasionally, then go for Wheaton. (The schools simply have to be decent.) But if you like the small town vibe, and don't go downtown often, then do Geneva.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs