Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,826 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Chicago area and need to stay in north communities for work commute. On recent visit, we really liked Libertyville. Two questions:

1. commute time to Glenview?
2. any preferred neighborhoods in Libertyville? We have young children and are used to a neighborhood where kids play outside together in evenings and neighbors socialize...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 11:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Decent commute, lots of variables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbljgg View Post
My family is relocating to Chicago area and need to stay in north communities for work commute. On recent visit, we really liked Libertyville. Two questions:

1. commute time to Glenview?
2. any preferred neighborhoods in Libertyville? We have young children and are used to a neighborhood where kids play outside together in evenings and neighbors socialize...
Depending upon where EXACTLY your home is in Libertyville and your office in Glenview is at the range of commutes might be as short as 25 minutes to perhaps 40 minutes. The combination of which exit(s) you take, how many surface streets / stop lights you encounter, even which railroads you cross will all impact travel times.

There are plenty of neighborhoods that appeal to families with young children and the COSTS of those neighborhoods largely is reflected in things like proximity to the elementary schools, parks and desirable town center along the Milwaukee Ave that is home to things like the library and an increasingly nice mix of eating / socializing spots...

Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
More amenities, including walkable downtown, Metra service to Glenview, good parks. Disadvantage: you don't get as much for your money as you would in Lake Villa or Wauconda.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Have you looked at Highland Park? It has a great downtown, parks, and schools like Libertyville, but it's way closer to Glenview. It's around the same maybe a teeny bit cheaper than Libertyville in west Highland Park.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:17 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
Isn't Libertyville included in Stevenson HS? It's a top ten, if not top five, school in the state.

Lincolnshire is also another option as well. It's mentioned so little on this board, but it's a great burb, top notch schools too.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:21 AM

Libertyville has always had its own high school. I doubt there are even any parts of the fringes of unincorporated Libertyville that feed into Stevenson.

Lincolnshire has decent enough housing stick, but lacks the town center of Libertyville or Highland Park.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:49 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Libertyville has always had its own high school. I doubt there are even any parts of the fringes of unincorporated Libertyville that feed into Stevenson.

Lincolnshire has decent enough housing stick, but lacks the town center of Libertyville or Highland Park.
Lincolnshire is Stevenson HS though. I know that much.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,826 times
His office is on Harlem Avenue in Glenview - towards the south end I think. Close to Metra station. We will be happy if he stays under a 30 minutes commute.

Thanks for Highland Park recommendation. We may take a closer look there. I didn't realize they have self contained school district and thought they fed into New Trier, which to be honest I am avoiding, along with Stevenson. I want my kids in a smaller school district.

Thanks for your responses!

Old 09-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Default Good choice, but not entirely "self contained"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbljgg View Post
His office is on Harlem Avenue in Glenview - towards the south end I think. Close to Metra station. We will be happy if he stays under a 30 minutes commute.

Thanks for Highland Park recommendation. We may take a closer look there. I didn't realize they have self contained school district and thought they fed into New Trier, which to be honest I am avoiding, along with Stevenson. I want my kids in a smaller school district.

Thanks for your responses!
Highland Park relies on a few feeder elementary districts and a high school district. The high school district includes Deerfield High and Highland Park High. Most folks report good things about the schools, I might rank it a bit below Stevenson in terms absolute achievement, but I understand your concerns with the size of that district. I would not have any reservations about New Trier, as they really have long record of successfully dealing with the large numbers of students from quite a range of feeder districts, but I respect your personal choice.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:09 PM

76 posts, read 162,270 times
I love Libertyville and I can't think of a more family friendly community than Libertyville. There are kids playing together in almost every neighborhood and there are houses in a wide range of budgets.

I think the commute to Glenview is going to be fine and you may have the option to take the train in a pinch.

Libertyville schools are as good as any in the state. Once you get above a certain threshold in rankings you are splitting hairs honestly. There is nothing Libertyville schools don't offer that other districts offer and the college admissions are very impressive.

The other think Libertyville has going for it is a great and growing downtown dining scene. There are always events going on and it has a great family friendly feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs