Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 34,466 times

Advertisements

For many reasons, we are still considering Naperville as a place for my husband and two children to move to in early December. We want a lot to do, reasonable priced house, and decent commute to the city. However, every person we've told that we're considering Naperville seems to give us this look and use the words "snobby" "overcrowded" and phrases like "keeping up with the Jones's." We currently live about 5 miles outside of Washington DC where all of the words and phrases above could definitely be used to describe our community. We're hoping to get away from that but because of where we are coming from, it would take A LOT of snobby to equal what we're dealing with now. Maybe Naperville feels this way to those who prefer open country land? Would it still feel that way to us? A hard question to answer but I'm just trying to gage the barometer for measuring these vibes of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Naperville is normal. Painfully normal, perhaps, but still very normal. I think people are calling it "snobby" because it always shows up in "Best Places to Live" rankings and it a bit more expensive than, say, Lisle or Aurora. It probably leans upper middle class, and to many this makes it "snobby yuppieville".

Old 10-08-2015, 01:56 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Naperville is normal. Painfully normal, perhaps, but still very normal. I think people are calling it "snobby" because it always shows up in "Best Places to Live" rankings and it a bit more expensive than, say, Lisle or Aurora. It probably leans upper middle class, and to many this makes it "snobby yuppieville".
Totally agreed!

Old 10-08-2015, 02:01 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
There is some degree of keeping up, but that is on you to decide how much you want to be involved in it. That is no different than any suburb I have lived in (in three states). There are probably more minivans than average, though.

Some of the major arteries can be frustrating at times...e.g. crossing Rte 59 can suck, parts of Washington Ave can suck, the intersection of Whole Foods-Costco-Home Depot-Lowes-WalMart is a joke at times.

We have wonderful and really nice friends that live in Naperville. I recommend the city, it has a lot going for it.

I believe, as Lookout Kid said, part of the negative perception of Naperville comes from it being on top lists a lot. Normally the haters don't live in the areas they hate.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:23 PM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times
LK is right on... and it is a awesome town.

if you want to keep up with the jones's move to areas where 1m is the more average home price...

Old 10-08-2015, 06:28 PM

66 posts, read 117,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingUs View Post
We currently live about 5 miles outside of Washington DC [...] it would take A LOT of snobby to equal what we're dealing with now.
I lived in Northern Virginia from 2012 to 2014, and I think you are completely right about that part. Naperville does not rise to that level. Hinsdale does maybe.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Naperville is great. Like many other of the upscale towns in Dupage and other places it has a reputation of snobbery. It often ends up on the greatest places to live and maybe that has inflated the egos of many of its residents. It seems that even people from out of state know Naperville so it tends to attract many transplants. Nothing wrong with that. My problem is that it is so huge. I prefer a quieter place like Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. I actually live closer to downtown Naperville than many Naperville residents do so I can jet over there if I like. Wheaton has wonderful parks and a nice downtown too.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:54 AM

773 posts, read 785,771 times
I agree that Naperville can be plain, once you get outside the core of the city. Within that core there is a lot of character and a lot of interesting history and some good dining. But the rapid growth in the 80's brought in a lot of builders who slapped up aluminum-sided houses with brick fronts built on flat, treeless farm land. Outside the core of the city, it's boring.

If you want to be close to the city but still in the suburbs, Naperville is not a place I'd recommend. It's toward the west end of DuPage county and that adds a lot of commute time over being on the east side of DuPage. In east DuPage you have Oak Brook, Hindsale, Burr Ridge, Willowbrook and Elmhurst. All are good places to raise a family and somewhere in there you should find a house in your price range.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:08 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
You should put others on your list. Just because you have heard about Naperville does not mean its the only good place to live. And yes it has some far flung and ordinary subdivisions that are nothing special. I'd skip Oak Brook. Hinsdale is frightfully expensive but wonderful. Other great places to look are Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Elmhurst and La Grange. The latter is in cook county I believe. All are wonderful communities.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Every city has snobs, even poor ones. Naperville is a fantastic suburb that should not be overlooked. If you want to move there, just go for it. Its a great city for both adults and children, is uber safe, and has everything to do that you can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs