Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David2300 View Post
Ok, this post is exaggerating a bit. I respect your opinion, but one of the most unlikable? Seriously? Have you EVER been to any of the south suburbs? Harvey? Markham? Riverdale? Blue Island? Dixmoor? Robbins? Even Homewood is a bit run down...

Ragged and rundown housing stock?? Ok, it isn't extremely varied like Oak Park. But at least Berwyn has a STABLE housing market. Any of the south suburbs mentioned above don't.

Non-compelling downtown center? Well, as you said, you pay less for housing, so don't EXPECT a "compelling downtown center". Riverside and Oak Park are only a short drive. Or bus ride, if you're a public transit rider.

In my opinion, any aggressive Berwyn criticism can only be directed towards the schools before it becomes unreasonable. Besides, Forest Park, a well known and loved suburb doesn't have the best schools either and you aren't calling it "one of the most unlikable suburbs". Neither does it have the best housing stock. Berwyn's housing stock isn't varied but it isn't overpriced or run down. Forest Park's is a bit run down but affordable. Schools can't be the only factor in whether a suburb is good or not. You need to look deeper.

And in what way is a major railroad line running through its downtown a bad thing? You have direct access to the downtown that way!!!!

Ok, sorry for ranting!! I respect your opinion. If I were to rate Berwyn, it would get an 8/10. Low crime rates, reasonable cost of living, easy Loop access, and a good housing stock make it nice. It's just the schools that need an extra push.

Berwyn's not that bad. I'm just not a big fan. I respect your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:33 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
I don't get the hype.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:08 AM

90 posts, read 204,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Sorry to rain on this topic -- and this is purely my opinion -- but I find Berwyn to be one of the most unlikeable suburbs in Chicagoland. Ragged and rundown housing stock (same, acutely adjacent bungalow after bungalow after bungalow).
The remark about the housing isn't exactly true. Here's a quote from WhyBerwyn.com:

". Many people may immediately think that most of those 26,000 houses are bungalows, but it is surprising just how much variety there is in Berwyn’s housing stock. Berwyn is home to Tudor Revivals, Victorians, Georgians, Workman’s Cottages, Foursquares and, of course, Bungalows!"

In what way is that "ragged and run down"?

BTW: WhyBerwyn isn't the official city website. It is a Berwyn tourist website.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:45 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
The OP should work for the Berwyn Chamber of Commerce. We get it, you really really LOVE Berwyn.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:39 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
I do really like Fitzgerald's and 16th St. Theater. Nothing like those in Oak Park, Forest Park or Riverside... that's for sure.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
The OP should work for the Berwyn Chamber of Commerce. We get it, you really really LOVE Berwyn.
I do! I lived there until I was 7. Now I live in an undesirable area of North Riverside. I always wanted to move back, I visit there often.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:41 PM

165 posts, read 309,731 times
It's easy to say "everything's great but the schools need some work", but in reality that is a HUGE issue that is incredibly hard to remedy (especially when you share a high school district with Cicero) and a huge roadblock to attracting most families. Also, I am 100% sure you are mistaken about Riverside schools (NOT North Riverside) being ranked an average of 5/10. Please provide the link to your data. And while I believe there is a single school in Berwyn ranked a 7/10, that is definitely not the average there. Schools are huge drivers of town desirability, which makes some otherwise nice towns relatively undesirable and some otherwise blahh town very desirable.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:15 AM

119 posts, read 299,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agallan View Post
It's easy to say "everything's great but the schools need some work", but in reality that is a HUGE issue that is incredibly hard to remedy (especially when you share a high school district with Cicero) and a huge roadblock to attracting most families. Also, I am 100% sure you are mistaken about Riverside schools (NOT North Riverside) being ranked an average of 5/10. Please provide the link to your data. And while I believe there is a single school in Berwyn ranked a 7/10, that is definitely not the average there. Schools are huge drivers of town desirability, which makes some otherwise nice towns relatively undesirable and some otherwise blahh town very desirable.

So, recent surveys pretty much show the exact opposite of what you're saying. Quality of the school district is a deciding factor for just 29 percent of home buyers. And that number falls off rather steeply for home buyers over age 50. Bottoming out at just 7 percent of home buyers over 60 really caring about the school district when buying a home. Why would you pay extra for the school district if you don't have school age children? And less than a third of the home buying demographic has school age children. While the quality of neighborhood is a much bigger deciding factor for 69% of homebuyers. Convenient commute to work for 52% . Convenient to friends and family 43% . Overall affordability and value of the home at 47%. Convenience to shopping rates at 31%.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallan View Post
Not entirely true. Surveys rank affordability and commute to work far over schools, especially if the person moving to that town has no kids or they have graduated. Many people move from Chicago to Berwyn because of the better quality schools. Unfortunately, yes, the schools are average but if you're looking for PERFECT schools you'll find yourself in Hinsdale. Compared to other towns with similar home values, such as Cicero, I think Berwyn does pretty well. Of course, it could be better, but then again, the house values go up. I don't think schools should be the ONLY reason ppl don't move to Berwyn.

BTW, if you think good schools make a town desirable, move to New Lenox!

Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbuck View Post
So, recent surveys pretty much show the exact opposite of what you're saying. Quality of the school district is a deciding factor for just 29 percent of home buyers. And that number falls off rather steeply for home buyers over age 50. Bottoming out at just 7 percent of home buyers over 60 really caring about the school district when buying a home. Why would you pay extra for the school district if you don't have school age children? And less than a third of the home buying demographic has school age children. While the quality of neighborhood is a much bigger deciding factor for 69% of homebuyers. Convenient commute to work for 52% . Convenient to friends and family 43% . Overall affordability and value of the home at 47%. Convenience to shopping rates at 31%.
Nice! I didn't know that!

Correct, many people moving to Berwyn have children who have graduated from high school. Nice catch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs