Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:21 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,850 times

Advertisements

That house and core location in hinsdale would be 2m+...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
That house and core location in hinsdale would be 2m+...
Not that high -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hinsdale/2.../home/14184457 $1.25M...

Old 12-14-2015, 06:10 PM

418 posts, read 906,487 times
But that same classic genre of home in GE by the Lake would cost about the same as the Hinsdale property above, but with perhaps another 500-700 sqft. and taxes in GE would be $25k vs. $19k in Hinsdale.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
But that same classic genre of home in GE by the Lake would cost about the same as the Hinsdale property above, but with perhaps another 500-700 sqft. and taxes in GE would be $25k vs. $19k in Hinsdale.
Seems pretty accurate... It very likely will come down to what is best for your situation.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
You may have a better feel for it than any of us at this point, actually. It changes year to year and it really takes looking at a lot of listings across different towns to have a good feel for it. I tend to pay more attention to prices closer to that of my own house.

Don't rule out La Grange and Western Springs! If Hinsdale is feeling a bit tight in terms of the houses you are seeing in budget, you can get more in those two towns. I feel like that $850k price point is pretty good in La Grange and will present several nice choices, though JJski has tougher standards in terms of "move in readiness".

You might also like River Forest, though that is getting back up towards Hinsdale prices.

Inventory will be very low this time of year, though you may find sellers ready to make a deal. Listings tend to pop up after the Super Bowl in greater numbers.

Is the North Shore totally out of the question?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 PM

748 posts, read 832,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Inventory will be very low this time of year, though you may find sellers ready to make a deal. Listings tend to pop up after the Super Bowl in greater numbers.

Is the North Shore totally out of the question?
Inventory is terrible right now. Prices might jump a bit, but if it's not perfect and you can wait, not a bad idea to do so.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Don't rule out La Grange and Western Springs! If Hinsdale is feeling a bit tight in terms of the houses you are seeing in budget, you can get more in those two towns. I feel like that $850k price point is pretty good in La Grange and will present several nice choices, though JJski has tougher standards in terms of "move in readiness".
Even in LG/WS to get everything i would want, you are over 850k$

I personally think at the 1m range you should get A LOT.. New kitchen/baths, nice layout/floor plan, top appliances, nothing dated, nice prime (easily walkable) location to town core and train, etc... i actually like hinsdale a lot (especially luv the restaurants) but its just too expensive at least to get what we would want...

when we looked in hinsdale a few years ago, we moved here from MI - at 850k we were not satisfied according to our parameters/expectations...

Old 12-15-2015, 07:10 AM

418 posts, read 906,487 times
We're going to wait a bit and not rush to see what else may come on the market. Ideally a May/June move-in is best but willing to buy in advance so as to have a place to move to when the kids are done with the school year. Would love to have them have the summer in the area, perhaps meet some kids in the hood before starting at a new school.

The Northshore is out of the question. My office, when I'm in town, is in Naperville. The wife's office, when not traveling and working from home, is in the Loop.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
My office, when I'm in town, is in Naperville. The wife's office, when not traveling and working from home, is in the Loop.

yup - you are best in the west...

Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
We're going to wait a bit and not rush to see what else may come on the market. Ideally a May/June move-in is best but willing to buy in advance so as to have a place to move to when the kids are done with the school year. Would love to have them have the summer in the area, perhaps meet some kids in the hood before starting at a new school.

The Northshore is out of the question. My office, when I'm in town, is in Naperville. The wife's office, when not traveling and working from home, is in the Loop.
With that much time, have you considered a tear-down? Or widening your search?

$699k: 202 W. Indiana Street WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin Three blocks to downtown and train, super low taxes. Easy drive to Nape.
$725k: 220 E. Union Avenue WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin Needs proper landscaping, but outstanding location. One of best elem schools in IL.
$775k: 157 S. Arlington Avenue ELMHURST, IL 60126 | Redfin Attractive original details, as close as you can get... to everything.
$878k: 327 Chicago Avenue DOWNERS GROVE, IL 60515 | Redfin A bit further from town but walk to Fairview station, brand new.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-15-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs