Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 AM

748 posts, read 833,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
We're going to wait a bit and not rush to see what else may come on the market. Ideally a May/June move-in is best but willing to buy in advance so as to have a place to move to when the kids are done with the school year. Would love to have them have the summer in the area, perhaps meet some kids in the hood before starting at a new school.

The Northshore is out of the question. My office, when I'm in town, is in Naperville. The wife's office, when not traveling and working from home, is in the Loop.
I'm in the same situation - with the ideal move time being mid-May. I have to suspect that this is the same for quite a few people. I wonder if fear of interest rate hikes (not actual changes, just a mentality) will drive a lot of people to buy this coming spring, keeping inventories tight and prices inflated. I think that if you find something that checks all the boxes now, go for it.

Either way -- good luck, we're interested to hear what you come up with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 08:18 AM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
With that much time, have you considered a tear-down? Or widening your search?
holl1ngsworth - Do you (or others here) think that a contractor could realistically get significant renovations (add second floor, finish basement, do kitchen, etc) finished in 3-4 months (say March, April, May) considering the weather, etc?

It's something I've considered during my housing search, but I'm so wary of hiring a contractor and then not being ready to move in come June.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Even in LG/WS to get everything i would want, you are over 850k$

I personally think at the 1m range you should get A LOT.. New kitchen/baths, nice layout/floor plan, top appliances, nothing dated, nice prime (easily walkable) location to town core and train, etc... i actually like hinsdale a lot (especially luv the restaurants) but its just too expensive at least to get what we would want...

when we looked in hinsdale a few years ago, we moved here from MI - at 850k we were not satisfied according to our parameters/expectations...
Dealing with "shoulds" is always tough, since everything is relative. In most of the country you "should" be able to get all of these bells and whistles at $350k. In prime New York locations you would get a fixer upper at $1 million. The market sets the prices for these things, and Hinsdale has a lot of underwhelming real estate for very high prices.

Even in the Chicago area the median home prices are close to $250k, so you are really looking at a very large premium to live in Hinsdale. But when you start eliminating towns with low-performing public schools and safety issues, the median home price jumps considerably. Eliminate neighborhoods that are not within walking distance to trains, and you get a greater jump in prices. And at that point an updated house within the center of Hinsdale becomes something that is quite rare.

We talk a lot of about "low inventory", but the we are talking about some very small suburbs here. Hinsdale is under 17,000 people. La Grange is even smaller. Western Springs smaller yet. There just aren't that many houses for sale at any given time that meet this buyer's criteria, and there never will be. Picky buyers either need super-high budgets or they need to cast a wide net across various suburbs. People willing to compromise will have more options.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
holl1ngsworth - Do you (or others here) think that a contractor could realistically get significant renovations (add second floor, finish basement, do kitchen, etc) finished in 3-4 months (say March, April, May) considering the weather, etc?

It's something I've considered during my housing search, but I'm so wary of hiring a contractor and then not being ready to move in come June.
I would plan on a year with significant interruptions to your life. Our next door neighbors did this several years ago (addition of full second story), and they had a year of pain.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Dealing with "shoulds" is always tough, since everything is relative. In most of the country you "should" be able to get all of these bells and whistles at $350k. In prime New York locations you would get a fixer upper at $1 million. The market sets the prices for these things, and Hinsdale has a lot of underwhelming real estate for very high prices.

LK, You are right on... What justifies the super high prices (in my mind) is the big city... Chicago is 3rd just behind New York and Los Angeles and when looking at it that way we are still cheap...

Old 12-15-2015, 08:47 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would plan on a year with significant interruptions to your life. Our next door neighbors did this several years ago (addition of full second story), and they had a year of pain.
Yea I agree. Twelve months might be a little long, seven month not unheard of, but plan for the worst. I was talking about catching a tear-down in process, and doing the whole "finishing touches" thing.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-15-2015 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yea I agree. Twelve months might be a little long, seven month not unheard of, but plan for the worst. I was talking about catching a tear-down in process, and doing the whole "finishing touches" thing.
Twelve months is for the inevitable lingering "punch list" items after the contractor has moved on to another project.

New construction is less of a problem since you don't actually live IN the project, but we have friends that were supposed to move in to their house in June and who are just now able to do it. So delays can be an issue there too unless you have a very flexible rental situation.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:58 AM

418 posts, read 906,554 times
We couldn't live through a remodel, like watching sausage being made. Just want the good end product .

I hadn't considered new build but perhaps in these higher price points, it's a possibility in certain parts of the western burbs. This would rule out Hinsdale but put in play La Grange, GE, Wheaton and Naperville as well. Those homes that Hollingsworth sent were lovely. We're very much house people so that holds a lot of appeal.

Having custom built in the past (architect designed and not builder spec plans), it's not exactly fun and too much information overload. We don't have any interest in going through that again. Having kids and dog also means not being overly picky either and making compromise. What we won't compromise on is walkability and proximity to retail core and train.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:43 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
What we won't compromise on is walkability and proximity to retail core and train.
Regarding retail/groceries:

La Grange has a Trader Joe's, Wheaton and Western Springs have a Mariano's, Elmhurst has a Jewel-Osco and Hinsdale has an independent grocer called Kramer's.

I'm not sure whether Naperville, Downers Grove or Glen Ellyn have full-service grocery stores walking distance from downtown addresses. I know Naperville has a Jewel-Osco "nearby" but to get to it from downtown requires crossing a very busy street. Downers Grove has a small grocer called Lemon Tree, but the selection is quite limited. A store similar to Kramer's recently closed in downtown Glen Ellyn, not sure what the future holds for that vacancy. LoK probably has a better idea.

I believe all the towns have outdoor farmer's markets through three seasons. Wheaton also has a small winter market inside the train station.

Elmhurst, Naperville, Hinsdale and Wheaton have Whole Foods, but they are largely car-dependent locations.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-15-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
A store similar to Kramer's recently closed in downtown Glen Ellyn, not sure what the future holds for that vacancy. LoK probably has a better idea.
Correct, the only true grocery store in downtown Glen Ellyn has closed after like 150 years of operation. I can technically walk to Trader Joe's and Jewel myself, as I live south of Downtown Glen Ellyn. I'm not sure why I would choose to do so, however, unless we transition to a post-apocalyptic oil-free world. And then we are all screwed anyway.

What does the future hold for that site? Well a developer just closed on the property and wants to build this mixed-use development with apartments, retail, parking, a public plaza and a clock tower:

Glen Ellyn | SpringBank

More details and updated photos are available here:

Downtown Glen Ellyn development plans feature clock tower

And here:

2nd big development planned for Glen Ellyn - Chicago Tribune

So far the Village and residents have been receptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs