Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:24 AM

9 posts, read 11,459 times

Advertisements

We're in the process of looking for houses in the western corridor of LaGrange, WS, Hinsdale, CH at around $500K. So we know that we're dealing with low inventory and small houses--which we're okay with. We found something that we like a lot in the Country Club section of La Grange, but are a bit concerned about the ratings of the Middle School in D105 (Gurrie). The elementary is rated a 10, middle is a 5, high school 10. In the neighboring communities of WS you have all 10s, Highlands 9/10, Hinsdale all 10, CH all 10. Even the north part of La Grange and LG Park are 10-8-10.

We have a preschooler right now, so plenty of time before middle school, but I wonder if I should be concerned for resale (if we decide to move before middle school) or with school quality if we decide to stay for 7-8 grade? I know that there are some decent parochial schools nearby that might be a good middle school option for us as well.

Do any of you kind folks have experience with the middle school that you would be willing to share? Anyone have thoughts on how important the middle school rating is?

This is the last item that's holding me back from putting in an offer for this house--sigh. So all comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:44 AM

73 posts, read 162,974 times
We live in the country club neighborhood and had similar angst when we bought. We decided to pull the trigger and are so happy we did. We have a child at Spring with two more in preschool, but we have friends and neighbors with children at Gurrie.

1. Gurrie's low test scores reflect that 2 of its 4 feeder schools are majority low income. The school itself is over 44.8% low income. Students that are not low income test quite well at Gurrie. I'm not thrilled about the achievement gap, but it's a problem most school districts are facing.

2. Our neighbors have assured us that their children have thrived at Gurrie and were well prepared for Lyons Township. We spoke with a number of LT teachers who confirmed their observation.

We love the small, close knit environment of the neighborhood and the Spring Ave. School community. We've made so many friends; It's really such a great place to live. Housing prices are lower than houses in the historic district, but houses in the neighborhood continue to sell at a face pace and have mostly recovered from the housing downturn.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any more questions!

Last edited by pesco; 11-10-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,667,680 times
Also, note that the rankings on "Great Schools" are pretty much worthless.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,328,765 times
The whole of La Grange SD 105 went from 37% low-income enrollment in 2011 to 49% low-income enrollment in 2015. Non low-income test scores within the district are not bad, but are not particularly good either, with Gurrie non low-income students hovering at around 80% proficiency in reading and math.

With such a significant budget, I'd consider investing in a district where the trends aren't so severe.

La Grange proper and Clarendon Hills are probably your best bet at <$500k. Particularly the section northeast of Hinsdale Golf Club in Clarendon Hills -- a hidden gem of affordability in D181. Or look further west. Glen Ellyn and Wheaton have a similar vibe, outstanding schools, and are a little more affordable.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,667,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
La Grange proper and Clarendon Hills are probably your best bet at <$500k. Particularly the section northeast of Hinsdale Golf Club in Clarendon Hills -- a hidden gem of affordability in D181. Or look further west. Glen Ellyn and Wheaton have a similar vibe, outstanding schools, and are a little more affordable.
A portion of La Grange proper (south of 47th street, more or less) goes to D105 schools as well. When we were looking there we were concentrating on the parts of La Grange and La Grange Park that attended D102 schools.

However, if you do end up in D105, I believe the La Grange elementary schools are still quite good. Most people I've talked to have had concerns about the middle school only.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 11,459 times
Thanks for the comments. Yes, the Elementary school is apparently a Blue Ribbon school that is rated a 10. It's the middle school that is the problem. We're a good 8 years away from 7th grade for our child, but I worry that it means I'll be stuck with a house that I can't sell because a buyer in 5-7 years sees the equivalent of an inner-city middle school, instead of the great schools that they moved out of the city for.

Pesco, great to hear that you are happy with the choice you've made. I had not previously seen the achievement gap info and it is helpful.

We really don't want to go as far west at Glen Ellyn or Wheaton so those aren't in consideration for us because we both have to commute to the city for work.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chijan View Post
Thanks for the comments. Yes, the Elementary school is apparently a Blue Ribbon school that is rated a 10. It's the middle school that is the problem. We're a good 8 years away from 7th grade for our child, but I worry that it means I'll be stuck with a house that I can't sell because a buyer in 5-7 years sees the equivalent of an inner-city middle school, instead of the great schools that they moved out of the city for.

Pesco, great to hear that you are happy with the choice you've made. I had not previously seen the achievement gap info and it is helpful.

We really don't want to go as far west at Glen Ellyn or Wheaton so those aren't in consideration for us because we both have to commute to the city for work.
I commute to the Loop as well, from Wheaton. My inbound and outbound Metra rides are 40 and 34 minutes, respectively. All in, commute is less than an hour.

The one way time difference between La Grange-Clarendon Hills and Glen Ellyn-Wheaton is just 10-20 minutes, but the $$ savings on real estate can be rather significant.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 11-10-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 11:31 AM

73 posts, read 162,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I commute to the Loop as well, from Wheaton. My inbound and outbound Metra rides are 40 and 34 minutes, respectively. All in, commute is less than an hour.

Time difference between La Grange-Hinsdale and Wheaton-Glen Ellyn is 10-12 minutes, but the $$ savings on real estate can be rather significant.

The train from La Grange is 20 minutes, which is a 14-20 minute difference from the Wheaton trains.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesco View Post
The train from La Grange is 20 minutes, which is a 14-20 minute difference from the Wheaton trains.
Yes, you're right on time difference, Wheaton vs La Grange. I corrected my post.

10-20 minutes.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM

768 posts, read 1,094,684 times
LG Express is 17-19 minutes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs