Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,941 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a home on the east side of the River in Batavia...slightly northeast of the "jog" on Route 25. I really like how close it is to the downtown area and the house is nice. I can't get a very good feel for the area over there, though. There seems to be some nicer homes, but also some that look like they just need to be torn down. I can't tell if the neighborhood is on the upswing or down. I think it may be on the up because of the drive to revitalize the downtown area. Any thoughts would help. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 12:52 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
I wish I could be of assistance, but i just don't know the area well.

I know there are others from the board that may be... so i'm bumping this back up.

I would think that if the area in question is low crime [i'd think you could check with the local police on this] and the fact that you stated they are revitalizing the downtown .... a home that is walking distance to downtown/shopping areas is always a bonus.

It's not in a flood zone is it? I'm not aware how close it would be to the river.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,984 times
Although the east side of Batavia is not the jewel of town, it is a solid investment. The proximity to downtown & affordability have made it consistent over the years. I lived in Batavia for 15 years.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,433 times
Default East Side of Batavia

I have lived in this area for six years. (We will be moving to the north suburbs this summer for a new job.) I think you would be satisfied overall with a move to this area of Batavia. It is certainly a wise-investment. You can purchase a nice-sized home with a basement, yard, and mature trees all under $250,000-300,000.

While in graduate school we purchased and renovated our home. Countless other older homes have been purchased and renovated in the past five years making our values and the image of the neighborhood improve. You cannot beat the close distance to the river and bike path. It's a slightly longer walk to all the summer fests, farmers market, and library. The northeast section is similar to the older area west of the river. The area is safe, pretty quiet, and there are many young families in addition to elderly residents who have lived here for forty-fifty years. We have a few rental homes on each block most of which are well-cared for. Residents take pride in their landscaping and holiday decorations.

There are a few blocks that have one home that is not well-cared for. These homes are sparse now. The residents of these homes do keep to themselves for the most part. We feel safe in our neighborhood and have not heard of any serious crimes nearby. The bridge renovation has been slightly inconvenient to east-side residents, but will be a major improvement when it is finished.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs