Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM

451 posts, read 465,594 times

Advertisements

Do any people in their 20s/30s move into a house in the suburbs? Was it death to your passions, social life? Housing stock is up 10% in the United States since last January and I'm currently thinking about purchasing one. Being a 30-something male who has rented for years, I feel social pressures to have a house/investment. My job is located way out in Gurnee where there's nothing to do (unless you consider Gurnee Mills or Starbucks exciting) and it's a no-man's land half way between where my friends live in Chicago proper and up in Milwaukee. I had been renting in Highwood, which wasn't too bad a commute to downtown, but there's little desireable/affordable housing stock around there. If I look for a house closer into the urban core, prices/taxes go way up beyond my means. Most stuff I like to do occurs downtown, which would be a heavy 1-1.5 hours one-way drive from Gurnee. The houses I'm looking at are attractive, desirable, appreciate in value, and tend to be re-sellable very fast. I'm approaching it as an investment I could make some money off of within a few years and be able sell quickly if I ever wanted to move.

I'm at a crossroads in life, I can't justify sending rent to landlords for the rest of my life and I think Condos/Townhomes aren't really worth it either. Condos are just sort of glorified apartments and I rarely hear of anyone coming out much in the black on them. All of the job sites in my field of work are located way out in the suburbs/exurbs on the north side of lake co or mchenry co (ahh, the glamorous life of an engineer in the USA). I enjoy the convenience of the suburbs and access to the countryside and friends/relatives in southern WI, but Chicago is so large scale the commutes into downtown for the social life can be nightmarish. I'm not married, but feel the conflicting interests of wanting to save money, make investments, etc. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm thinking I could just accept living in the burbs and suck up the longer commutes to the stuff I like to frequent (dive bars, salsa clubs, live music gigs, sports events), and get myself locked into a good mortgage that will appreciate and help me to gain resources. If my social life takes a hit, I'm perhaps at an age where I'm willing to have less immediate social capital and more resources to travel more. I'm currently dating a woman in a foreign country anyways, so I could just work/live in the burbs and save my passions/social life for when I travel and occasionally see friends in Chicago or Milwaukee.

Has anyone else faced a similar conflict of interests? Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM

16 posts, read 20,134 times
A few things:
1) definitely stop renting. You're throwing your money away. You can have a mortgage as much if not cheaper than rent. Even though you're in your 30's it's time to start thinking long term.
2) try finding a house near a train station. This way you have the best of both worlds.
3) if you do buy a house there is definitely maintenance to consider. I have neighbors who realized too late they hated mowing/blowing and generally taking care of their property. Having a house is work and nothing worse then to have someone move in next to you and they don't have any interest in mowing the lawn and taking care of weeds or maintaining the look of their home.
If don't want the work of a house then a condo would be the way to go.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Don't do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
Do any people in their 20s/30s move into a house in the suburbs? Was it death to your passions, social life? Housing stock is up 10% in the United States since last January and I'm currently thinking about purchasing one. Being a 30-something male who has rented for years, I feel social pressures to have a house/investment. My job is located way out in Gurnee where there's nothing to do (unless you consider Gurnee Mills or Starbucks exciting) and it's a no-man's land half way between where my friends live in Chicago proper and up in Milwaukee. I had been renting in Highwood, which wasn't too bad a commute to downtown, but there's little desireable/affordable housing stock around there. If I look for a house closer into the urban core, prices/taxes go way up beyond my means. Most stuff I like to do occurs downtown, which would be a heavy 1-1.5 hours one-way drive from Gurnee. The houses I'm looking at are attractive, desirable, appreciate in value, and tend to be re-sellable very fast. I'm approaching it as an investment I could make some money off of within a few years and be able sell quickly if I ever wanted to move.

I'm at a crossroads in life, I can't justify sending rent to landlords for the rest of my life and I think Condos/Townhomes aren't really worth it either. Condos are just sort of glorified apartments and I rarely hear of anyone coming out much in the black on them. All of the job sites in my field of work are located way out in the suburbs/exurbs on the north side of lake co or mchenry co (ahh, the glamorous life of an engineer in the USA). I enjoy the convenience of the suburbs and access to the countryside and friends/relatives in southern WI, but Chicago is so large scale the commutes into downtown for the social life can be nightmarish. I'm not married, but feel the conflicting interests of wanting to save money, make investments, etc. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm thinking I could just accept living in the burbs and suck up the longer commutes to the stuff I like to frequent (dive bars, salsa clubs, live music gigs, sports events), and get myself locked into a good mortgage that will appreciate and help me to gain resources. If my social life takes a hit, I'm perhaps at an age where I'm willing to have less immediate social capital and more resources to travel more. I'm currently dating a woman in a foreign country anyways, so I could just work/live in the burbs and save my passions/social life for when I travel and occasionally see friends in Chicago or Milwaukee.

Has anyone else faced a similar conflict of interests? Thoughts??
While I am big fan of suburban living for folks that can take advantage of its pluses the situation that you describe is NOT driven by the correct motivations! Do not make the mistake of assuming "houses sell fast" and 'appreciate' -- turn back the clock to when McCain and Obama were running for office just about 7 years ago AND THE BOTTOM WAS FALLING OUT OF HOUSING!! Lots of stupid people in generic suburbs that over paid back then are STILL UNDERWATER!!!

If you like suburban lifestyle that is one thing but you seem to be the type person that LOVES heading into the city and that will conflict very quickly with even BASIC property maintenance. If you are not keen on cutting your lawn and shoveling your snow that means MORE MONEY out of your pocket to hire out those things and/or neighbors that hate you for having a scruffy looking place.

Wait till your priorities change and then consider where your partner might live or you risk your next relationship being with somebody that make your commute even more of a hassle..

Old 11-23-2015, 08:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Best thing that ever happened to me was getting laid off from my suburban engineering gig, and moving to a downtown position in professional services. Yes, I'm suggesting you look for a city job. Best time to look for a job is while you have one. Might take you several months, but there are jobs in the city. Mainly with smaller engineering and software companies.

If you don't want to do that, then get some friends in the north suburbs and stop lamenting the city life that you don't have.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:11 AM

Interesting article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...dervalued.html

Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I'm with JP. Move in to the city and get a job there. Your life will be better.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
I have a friend that lives/works in Gurnee and likes it there from it's location being between Milwaukee and Chicago, as it opens up many more options for things to do on the weekends, and doesn't mind the drive. If you really dislike the suburban life, and would prefer to have more to do just outside your door, then I would suggest to do like others and find a new job downtown and live there

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
I would rent in a community near the city. When I was single I wanted as few time sucks as possible and a house is a time suck. Find a relatively cheap place to rent until you are ready to settle down.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm with JP. Move in to the city and get a job there. Your life will be better.
Unless I switch fields to business or services, that's simply not an option for me.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:07 AM

I'm no fan of suburban living, as far as social opportunities and my greatest passions are concerned. Living in a mundane, far-out suburb no doubt limits my social life.

That said, I have a great profile to get into a home loan right now. My parents are actually offering to help pitch in some $$$ to help me with the down payment and taxes for the first year while I'm getting settled in. My family/roots will always be here, so that could be a good argument for me to buy now and invest a chunk of my capital here. I guess it's not such a bad prospect if I evolve my mindset towards frequenting the city just on weekends and less on weeknights. Living in the suburbs no doubt takes a toll on my mood, but if I can get into a good investment, I'll just adapt my lifestyle accordingly and learn to make the most of it. I could get a roommate to help with the mortgage, and socialize with friends on weekends or when I travel abroad. If I find a job in Mexico or somewhere else, if it's a desirable house, I can always rent out or just sell it.

I gonna talk to the RE agent some more about what neighborhoods are anticipated to appreciate the most, and weigh my options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs