Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:50 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
For your information hundreds of those wonderful souls who perished on 9/11 in the World Trade Center were from the suburbs of Long Island, CT, Downstate NY, NJ, and here in NEPA, including my native Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. Crime permeates everywhere and affects everyone---even some of the gated communities near me have become criminal havens. As a society we need to stop running away from our ills and start facing them head on. Considering I live two hours from Manhattan and four hours from Shanksville, PA, 9/11 was practically in my own "backyard" as well, so don't try to lecture me about poor taste. If anything was in poor taste it was in you pulling 9/11 into the fray to capitalize upon another tragedy to further your point of view after berating me for doing the exact same thing. It's okay for you to do it, but I can't?
Yes, but you and Drover are the ones who tried to ignite another flame war with city vs. suburbs. As soon as I saw your comments, I knew that this thread would turn into ones of those arguments. Hasn't that argument been hashed to death throughout many threads here on city-data? Neither you nor I will convince each other of our views, so let this senseless argument and debate go! People will live where they want to live and no one's opinion will be swayed by posts on a message board, certainly mine won't and I'm sure yours won't either. I have no problem with you choosing to live where you want, why would you care about where I choose to live?

And I was not debating who the victims of 9/11 were. I was merely stating a fact that this tragedy occured in a city, not the suburbs. Many victims of 9/11 were from foreign countries also. I'm sure that if had occurred in the suburbs, you would have been all over it with endless rants about terrorism in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
No, we did not try to start a flame war. We didn't turn it into "one of those arguments." You did. Your overreaction to the point we were making is your responsibility, not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs