U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,587,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I agree aragx, but this guy probably sought out this store because he assumed there would be all women inside. So in this case, the presence of a few men may have made a difference.
That's really conjecture. No one knows why this sicko did what he did. He may well have known one of the victims and sought her out. Who knows. I hope they catch him, I really do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:23 PM

5,656 posts, read 18,264,907 times
This is like "browns chicken massacre" dejavu... just horrible. I imagine they'll close that store now.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,332,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
This is like "browns chicken massacre" dejavu... just horrible. I imagine they'll close that store now.
Yes, only this time one of the victims survived. Hopefully that will make it easier to catch the killer, they have a living person to tell cops exactly what happened and identify the killer.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:13 PM

162 posts, read 749,953 times
Quote:
This isn't the first incident in that shopping center. There have been a few carjackings, attempted robberies, and car thefts. Even though it's in Tinley Park, it's a scary place to be.
WOW - scary???

Where are you from?

If you think that mall is scary, don't ever, ever venture into the city - and god forbid - Lincoln Mall in Matteson or the Plaza in Evergreen.

My in-laws live down the street in Frankfort and I have been to that mall dozens of times with my wife and daughter. My wife goes to that Target, Dick's and PetSmart alone all the time. I go there as well and do not even think twice about letting her go - and it does not worry me in the future.

This was a terrible random act by someone who was obviously not very smart - robbing a Lane Bryant. I would not be surprised if there was a reason it happened - like he was tipped off they had money at that time or there was some other reason.

There is a Bank of America right down the mall from the Lane Bryant - it is easier to get to in and out of - why would they choose Lane Bryant in Tinley unless there was some other reason?

If anyone thinks that mall does not feel safe, my goodness, don't ever venture into the city or anywhere else for that matter. I feel safer there than most Targets or other stores in the city or burbs - I have never seen a shady person there and have never had an even vaguely uncomfortable situation there. I've been to the Target in Orland off 159th a lot as well and I prefer that Target in Tinley by far - don't feel "less safe" at all - actually have always liked it a lot more that the one in Orland due to the fact that it is easier to get in and out of.

I live in the South Loop and frequent the Target, Whole Foods, Dominick's and Jewel on Roosevelt Road and would never let my wife go there alone and sometimes feel a little uncomfortable going to those places myself.

But for someone the say that mall "feels" dangerous - that is seriously crazy. I love that Target and there are always cops around, a lots of shoppers - normal, middle to upper class shoppers.

I have a friend in the FBI that lives in Frankfort and i will ask them if they have heard of any other incidents at that mall, but I have met them at that TGI Fridays before and have never, ever heard a peep from them about any crime there.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM

863 posts, read 2,626,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
WOW - scary???

Where are you from?

If you think that mall is scary, don't ever, ever venture into the city - and god forbid - Lincoln Mall in Matteson or the Plaza in Evergreen.

My in-laws live down the street in Frankfort and I have been to that mall dozens of times with my wife and daughter. My wife goes to that Target, Dick's and PetSmart alone all the time. I go there as well and do not even think twice about letting her go - and it does not worry me in the future.

This was a terrible random act by someone who was obviously not very smart - robbing a Lane Bryant. I would not be surprised if there was a reason it happened - like he was tipped off they had money at that time or there was some other reason.

There is a Bank of America right down the mall from the Lane Bryant - it is easier to get to in and out of - why would they choose Lane Bryant in Tinley unless there was some other reason?

If anyone thinks that mall does not feel safe, my goodness, don't ever venture into the city or anywhere else for that matter. I feel safer there than most Targets or other stores in the city or burbs - I have never seen a shady person there and have never had an even vaguely uncomfortable situation there. I've been to the Target in Orland off 159th a lot as well and I prefer that Target in Tinley by far - don't feel "less safe" at all - actually have always liked it a lot more that the one in Orland due to the fact that it is easier to get in and out of.

I live in the South Loop and frequent the Target, Whole Foods, Dominick's and Jewel on Roosevelt Road and would never let my wife go there alone and sometimes feel a little uncomfortable going to those places myself.

But for someone the say that mall "feels" dangerous - that is seriously crazy. I love that Target and there are always cops around, a lots of shoppers - normal, middle to upper class shoppers.

I have a friend in the FBI that lives in Frankfort and i will ask them if they have heard of any other incidents at that mall, but I have met them at that TGI Fridays before and have never, ever heard a peep from them about any crime there.
I'm originally from the South side of Chicago and currently live in the South suburbs (to some, both of those areas are about as "scary" as you can get). I used to work overnight at the Target in the same lot as the Lane Bryant. We were briefed weekly on the frequent incidents that took place in the parking lot. I came in the store after dark and left before the sun rose, so my safety was definitely an issue. I'm not surprised most people are not aware of the dangers of that lot.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:07 AM

5,656 posts, read 18,264,907 times
Crime is everywhere in every neighborhood. People think they live in "safe" areas are lulled into thinking they are secure. You are not, if you carry a purse and are walking alone, you are a target anywhere. Any mall has incidents, just check the local police reports and crime rates. There is a reason that towns with malls have higher crime rates.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 AM

863 posts, read 2,626,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's really conjecture. No one knows why this sicko did what he did. He may well have known one of the victims and sought her out. Who knows. I hope they catch him, I really do.
Yes, I am totally speculating, but not without basis. Last year, in the city, there were two robberies of beauty salons. A stylist was killed in one of them. They were targeted because the cowards knew there would only be women in the shops.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,434,786 times
Quote:
I agree aragx, but this guy probably sought out this store because he assumed there would be all women inside. So in this case, the presence of a few men may have made a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
"The killer of five women at a Lane Bryant store in Tinley Park made sexual advances on at least one of the victims before the slayings and may have targeted a women's shop to avoid confrontation with men, a source said Monday." Full Story

Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,587,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"The killer of five women at a Lane Bryant store in Tinley Park made sexual advances on at least one of the victims before the slayings and may have targeted a women's shop to avoid confrontation with men, a source said Monday." Full Story
That's exactly my issue. Why does this reporter say that? The cops didn't say that. An unnamed source said it might have been an attempt to avoid confrontation with men. That's complete conjecture on their part, and it's typical of the way women are treated in the media.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:29 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,434,786 times
What the hell does that have to do with the treatment of women in the media?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs