U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 PM
 
90 posts, read 158,172 times
Reputation: 85

Advertisements

I know there are towns like Oak Park that are insanely expensive but still attract lots of people. But in towns like Grayslake the cost of living is so high people are moving out and going to towns like Des Plaines. I love Des Plaines and find it to be very underrated, but I can't figure out why people don't praise it more. It's strange that people find it boring, since the downtown is like Lockport's, very historic blended with a more modern finish. The schools are good, could be better, and crime is low. Plus affordability. Could a place like Grayslake get abandoned because of its own cost of living? Will places like Des Plaines become sort of like refugee camps for these people.

I know, GROSS exaggeration.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2015, 10:37 PM
 
604 posts, read 559,875 times
Reputation: 773
While I like Des Plaines, the downsides for me are noise from O'Hare, the river, not near stores I like to frequent and traffic. Oh, and the train tracks (ties in with the traffic).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2015, 12:58 AM
 
1,231 posts, read 1,644,591 times
Reputation: 380
I don't think Grayslake has a high cost of living, but that's just my opinion. I'm tired of how expensive housing prices are here too! The low housing inventory makes it worse. Des Plaines is a good affordable alternative, but it does get congested and I would worry about the flooding in some parts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 AM
 
90 posts, read 158,172 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I don't think Grayslake has a high cost of living, but that's just my opinion. I'm tired of how expensive housing prices are here too! The low housing inventory makes it worse. Des Plaines is a good affordable alternative, but it does get congested and I would worry about the flooding in some parts.
Grayslake has high property taxes. I don't know if its higher than Oak Park, but everyone I know who lives there complains about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2015, 01:26 PM
 
12,798 posts, read 16,423,688 times
Reputation: 8823
Des Plaines has many advantages like Propinquity to OHare, relatively low taxes and safety. Freight trains constantly block traffic since very few underpass exist. The worst is between Wolf Rd and Mt Prospect Rd, with numerous mile long trains in your way. Also airplane noise, flooding in certain areas. Also mentioned was lack of shopping. This is a problem; many stores have moved out or the chain is in trouble. Most public amenities pretty good, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2015, 01:44 PM
 
28,461 posts, read 75,923,518 times
Reputation: 18533
Park Ridge schools are much more desirable than those that serve DesPlaines, towns like Mt. Prospect and Arlington Heights fit between Park Ridge and DesPlaines in terms of schools and most other factors.

The range of housing reflects those factors; honestly, being involved in things like education and real estate as long as I have been it is hard to say anything is "underrated' (or overrated...) -- people pay for the things that have a high probability of making a difference for their kids / their own future. Schools are very high on that list, and the potential to have like-minded neighbors add to the potential for work related advancement, as well being the kinds of people that will have similar priorities regarding home maintenance and such..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 04:31 PM
 
90 posts, read 158,172 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Park Ridge schools are much more desirable than those that serve DesPlaines, towns like Mt. Prospect and Arlington Heights fit between Park Ridge and DesPlaines in terms of schools and most other factors.

The range of housing reflects those factors; honestly, being involved in things like education and real estate as long as I have been it is hard to say anything is "underrated' (or overrated...) -- people pay for the things that have a high probability of making a difference for their kids / their own future. Schools are very high on that list, and the potential to have like-minded neighbors add to the potential for work related advancement, as well being the kinds of people that will have similar priorities regarding home maintenance and such..
Des Plaines to me is the definition of underrated. Maybe more like a hidden gem. Obviously the schools aren't the best but you get a bunch of almost everything. And it gets a lot of crap over O'Hare and the river, but Des Plaines is a HUGE city and the river only covers the southernmost part.

And, yes, I have to bring up Homewood here. I have no idea why people are predicting doom for it and especially Flossmoor! Crime? Yes. So does every city! Bad schools? NO! Not at all. Diversity? In Homewood many races have peacefully coexisted together for years!

Though nobody wants to admit it, I KNOW that the area of Homewood scares EVERYone off. And I say that's completely stupid. Just because an area around a neighborhood or suburb is bad, it doesn't mean THAT suburb is bad. Here are a few examples:

Homewood
Flossmoor
Beverly (Chicago)
Oak Park
Hyde Park (Chicago)
Blue Island (sort of)
Crete
Olympia Fields
Morgan Park (Chicago)
Monee

There you go. All are good places surrounded by bad places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM
 
28,461 posts, read 75,923,518 times
Reputation: 18533
It is not just quibbling to say that places like DesPlaines mostly have nicer towns nearby vs some of the other towns really being fully encircled by less desirable spots. Nor is it fair to say that towns like Oak Park are "surrounded" by less desirable areas, heck River Forest is almost inarguably more costly than Oak Park, even Elmwood is not nearly as bad as Austin, heck Galewood, while not nearly as desirable as it once was, is still not a horrible option for folks that need to live inside Chicago.

In contrast things seem rather different on the southside. For every knock-out house along Lothair or on the Bell / Oakley "elipse" in Morgan Park that would sell for triple on the North Shore -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/10.../home/13070717 you have head scratching stuff a block or two away -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/11.../home/13071036
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 AM
 
90 posts, read 158,172 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is not just quibbling to say that places like DesPlaines mostly have nicer towns nearby vs some of the other towns really being fully encircled by less desirable spots. Nor is it fair to say that towns like Oak Park are "surrounded" by less desirable areas, heck River Forest is almost inarguably more costly than Oak Park, even Elmwood is not nearly as bad as Austin, heck Galewood, while not nearly as desirable as it once was, is still not a horrible option for folks that need to live inside Chicago.

In contrast things seem rather different on the southside. For every knock-out house along Lothair or on the Bell / Oakley "elipse" in Morgan Park that would sell for triple on the North Shore -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/10.../home/13070717 you have head scratching stuff a block or two away -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/11.../home/13071036
I know it isn't fair to judge a town by it's surroundings. That's why I try to promote Homewood. Homewood is sometimes frowned upon because of the surrounding towns, which are less than desirable to say the least, but Homewood is incredibly nice and so is Flossmoor. Homewood/Flossmoor, I believe, are great examples of the way a community should be. Both have many races which have been peacefully coexisting for decades, they show that house values and schools aren't everything by giving you so much more for your money, and both have low crime rates, while Flossmoor is one of the most affluent majority-black communities in the United States. Many more communities should follow HF's example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM
 
11,973 posts, read 28,839,267 times
Reputation: 4602
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2300 View Post
...while Flossmoor is one of the most affluent majority-black communities in the United States.
Is Flossmoor "majority black" now? In 2010 blacks were the largest minority group at 47.8% followed by whites at 46.4% (no single group had more than 50% of the population). But perhaps this has changed in the last five years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top