Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,857 times

Advertisements

We are moving here from Florida and are focusing on these three areas. We like the schools and the city of Grayslake from a community perspective. Very family orientated. We have a 3rd grader and a 5th grader so schools and community are important. But, the houses that are comprable to what we had in Florida are in the $450 range. Houses in Gurnee are a little less but I think the school system is a little too large and there isn't that "community feel". I LOVE the houses in Lake Villa but they are a little far out and don't seem to have the community that
Grayslake has. Prices in Lake Villa are much cheaper as are taxes. Bigger lots and a new High School that is not proven.

Resale down the line is important but so is how much we like the house as we plan on staying here at least 10 years... until kids graduate high school.

Anyone have any advice??? Husband works in Deerfield so commute is important - Grayslake and Gurnee are closer. There are not very many houses in Grayslake that fit our criteria....

help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 49,590 times
I understand your dilemma. The community of Round Lake Heights offers single family homes for around 300,000 with Lake Villa Schools. Good Luck

Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,811 times
Default Grayslake

Do not move to Grayslake unless you are and you like to flaunt your wealth. It is a town that is trying to act like Lake Forest but can't afford to.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:30 PM

44 posts, read 232,642 times
It's actually a little bit easier to get on the Tri-State traffic-wise from Antioch, which is a very quaint town just north of Lake Villa. There is a thriving downtown shopping area with live community theater as well as an old-fashioned movie theater. The schools are good and the people are very friendly. There are many community events, and the park district has many child-oriented and family activities. The commute to Deerfield would be 45-1 hr.

I don't know your price range, just that you said 450k was too high. The one subdivision I could recommend in Antioch proper would be Tiffany Farms. I think that the houses in there are nicely built. There are some Neumann subdivisions east of town that would be closer to the tollway, but just to let you know, Neumann claimed bankruptcy, so I don't know the status of their developments. A little bit south of town, you'll find homes around the Heron Harbor subdivision and also around the golf course. Again, not knowing your price range, the single family homes around here range from 220-350k-ish for nicer older and newer homes. I live in a subdivision of really nice duplexes, established neighborhood, and a 3 bed 2.5 bath in here with finished basment and big yard runs in the 180's. It's an affordable area for a lot of people, but still has the access the people need (we are right between O'Hare airport and Mitchell airport in Milwaukee).

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 10,263 times
Florida family, as a resident of Lake county for over 40 years,I will give you my opinion of these possible candidates for your new home area.
GURNEE I lived there and raised 3 boys, in their school system. I found the schools about the same as Grayslake, a upper average system. not as much of a bedroom community as Lake Villa or Grayslake. Very commercial. most families are in your age range.
GRAYSLAKE. - This is where I currently live. The town is newly developed. Population has gone form 5,000 about 1990 to over 18,000 now.It has a money crunch in a upper average school system. Many new schools. Very friendly area new Aquatic center and skate board park. Prices about the same as Gurnee. Most families in your age range.
VILLA PARK - In my opinion not as nice as western Gurnee or Grayslake. Houses are less expensive. drive to Deerfield is longer. Lake Villa has always had trouble with school funding.
You might want to look at Antioch, It is up and coming, houses are cheaper the people are nice and it's more of a small twon atmosphere.
The driving time to Deerfield is going to be 1-1 1/2 hours from any of these locations at rush hour.
Good luck

Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 AM

12 posts, read 40,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFam View Post
We are moving here from Florida and are focusing on these three areas. We like the schools and the city of Grayslake from a community perspective. Very family orientated. We have a 3rd grader and a 5th grader so schools and community are important. But, the houses that are comprable to what we had in Florida are in the $450 range. Houses in Gurnee are a little less but I think the school system is a little too large and there isn't that "community feel". I LOVE the houses in Lake Villa but they are a little far out and don't seem to have the community that
Grayslake has. Prices in Lake Villa are much cheaper as are taxes. Bigger lots and a new High School that is not proven.

Resale down the line is important but so is how much we like the house as we plan on staying here at least 10 years... until kids graduate high school.

Anyone have any advice??? Husband works in Deerfield so commute is important - Grayslake and Gurnee are closer. There are not very many houses in Grayslake that fit our criteria....

help!!!
I live in Lake Villa, having moved from Chicago, and Lake Villa is just 10 minutes North of Grayslake. Be aware that Grayslake has areas with apartments with a lot of gang banger wannabes, not a lot to be afraid of. Grayslake is nice, but if you like Lake Villa more, just go the extra ten minutes. Gurnee is nice too, probably the busiest of the areas you mentioned, but stay West of the expressway. Its a much nice area. Just my two cents.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADHUMOR View Post
Florida family, as a resident of Lake county for over 40 years,I will give you my opinion of these possible candidates for your new home area.
GURNEE I lived there and raised 3 boys, in their school system. I found the schools about the same as Grayslake, a upper average system. not as much of a bedroom community as Lake Villa or Grayslake. Very commercial. most families are in your age range.
GRAYSLAKE. - This is where I currently live. The town is newly developed. Population has gone form 5,000 about 1990 to over 18,000 now.It has a money crunch in a upper average school system. Many new schools. Very friendly area new Aquatic center and skate board park. Prices about the same as Gurnee. Most families in your age range.
VILLA PARK - In my opinion not as nice as western Gurnee or Grayslake. Houses are less expensive. drive to Deerfield is longer. Lake Villa has always had trouble with school funding.
You might want to look at Antioch, It is up and coming, houses are cheaper the people are nice and it's more of a small twon atmosphere.
The driving time to Deerfield is going to be 1-1 1/2 hours from any of these locations at rush hour.
Good luck
1-1.5 hrs during rush from LV/Grayslake/Gurnee to Deerfield? Are you walking there? My wife drives from Lake Villa to Niles, and gets there in an hr, and she's not a lead footed driver by any stretch. For that matter, Grayslake, specifically Frederick school, has many, many, kids from certain apartments in Grayslake that are gang bangers, and gang banger wannabes. I do know this first hand two, not trying to badmouth Grayslake, as I'm actually fond of the area. Lake Villa is just as nice as Grayslake, with an older area, smaller less exp homes, and the new areas, with younger families, and larger homes. Grayslake is an older community, in so far as the houses, for the most part. Personally, I'd avoid Gurnee, its a bit too close to the mall, and the traffic on 132 is a bit much. Reminds me of Schaumburg in the 80s, but to each his/her own. Regarding the school funding issue, that may have been back in the day, but for a district with funding issues, they built a high school, and two new grade schools in the past 5 years. The money is coming from somewhere.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Gurnee is probably the best for taxes as well as proxiimity to shopping and the Tollway. Grayslake's main advantage for you is direct train service to Glenview. Gurnee lacks train service, and Lake Villa to Glenview by train requires a transfer.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
Your answering a thread from over 2 years ago. I'm sure the OP had his/her answer long ago!!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Your answering a thread from over 2 years ago. I'm sure the OP had his/her answer long ago!!!!

Gee, that's for clearing that up, what's your point? Do you believe that will be the last person to consider moving from/to those areas? Must be a slow day if you felt compelled to ad that tidbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs