Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:15 PM

216 posts, read 723,583 times

Advertisements

Doesn't Barack Obama live in Hyde Park??? White Island seems like a ridiculous statement. It is not a White Island. People from all over the world study at the University of Chicago and many choose to live near the university in Hyde Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM

49 posts, read 214,106 times
I would not live in Hyde Park,, there are too many low income areas surrounding it and those trashy people go into Hyde Park and commit their crimes. I worked for a year in the Hyde Park area, and it was not a place I would want to stay after dark.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM

49 posts, read 214,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Actually, University Park and Richton Park (both right on the Metra Electric line) have lower crime rates than Homewood. I would suggest Flossmoor.
They have lower crime rates compared to Homewood because their population is also much lower than Homewood. University Park has less than 9,000 people and Richton Park has just over 12,000 people. Homewood has over 18,000 people.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmi605 View Post
Doesn't Barack Obama live in Hyde Park??? White Island seems like a ridiculous statement. It is not a White Island. People from all over the world study at the University of Chicago and many choose to live near the university in Hyde Park.
Yeah,like Obama has actually spent much time in HP the last few years.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Sure maybe he hasn't but a white island Hyde Park certainly is not.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Sure maybe he hasn't but a white island Hyde Park certainly is not.
Its not, but Hyde Park and south Kenwood have a significantly higher white population (about 40%) compared to the surrounding neighborhoods such as Woodlawn, Grand Boulevard, and Washington Park (<5%).

Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,173 times
I need an apartment too!!!!!! It is sooo annoying trying to find a place to live but I need a bedroom apartment in the south suburbs that takes large dogs. There has to be a list or something, of apartments in these areas...right?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 PM

172 posts, read 438,237 times
I wouldn't be afraid to live in Hyde Park. There are some really nice houses around there and lots of restaurants. There are some bad areas around Hyde Park but HP itself it really nice. I went to school around there and never had any problems. I wouldn't totally rule out Hyde Park yet. Are you going to be visiting the city soon? I would walk around Hyde Park and see how it was first. You might actually like it. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:34 AM

38 posts, read 137,156 times
Default I would live in Hyde Park

Just my two cents - if I were a student at the UofC I would live in Hyde Park in a heartbeat. (I'm as white, small, and female as they come and in my mid-30s but I was once a young college student living in Chicago on the northside. I have family members who went to UofC so I have visited often. Now I go there with my little kids!) Of course I now live in Oak Park so clearly I am comfortable with urban living. If you are going to be a student you need to consider that you will meet a lot of other students and your life will probably be easier if you are near them - for socializing and class work. The dreaded group projects especially! Contact the student life office at school - I'm sure they have a lot of options for student housing on and off campus that you can feel safe living in. You've chosen to go to an amazing school in a fabulous city - experience all they have to offer! I now recruit students out of UofC for internships and jobs downtown. Imagine if you lived in the 'burbs, went to school in Hyde Park, and your job was down town - what a headache for traveling! Good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:55 AM

7 posts, read 21,526 times
Thanks for your advice! As a grad student I don't think I will have to work, but being engaged in the campus life is an important thing to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs