Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
The rental market will see the opposite -- it will rise. With no new housing starts (if the market is cooling off) rental prices will go up even further. It's not just about the assessed value of one's house, but what that gets the individual who buys. Sure, there will always be some people underwater -- just like there will always be some who rent and have to move b/c it gets too expensive.
NPR just ran a story about massive demand for single family rentals in most metro areas, which is a new phenomenon. Traditionally the rental sector has been more concentrated in attached housing like apartments. Rents are going up very quickly, and rent increases make home ownership more appealing. Investors are starting to snatch up low-cost single family houses to convert to rentals.

Even in a Great Recession housing crash scenario, most people come out ahead owning a house over a 30 year period instead of renting. It's still the primary way that Americans build wealth over time. You might come out ahead if you are saving money by renting, but you'd have to be investing the difference in something like the stock market, and we all know that the VAST majority of renters are not doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:24 AM

748 posts, read 832,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
NPR just ran a story about massive demand for single family rentals in most metro areas, which is a new phenomenon. Traditionally the rental sector has been more concentrated in attached housing like apartments. Rents are going up very quickly, and rent increases make home ownership more appealing. Investors are starting to snatch up low-cost single family houses to convert to rentals.

Even in a Great Recession housing crash scenario, most people come out ahead owning a house over a 30 year period instead of renting. It's still the primary way that Americans build wealth over time. You might come out ahead if you are saving money by renting, but you'd have to be investing the difference in something like the stock market, and we all know that the VAST majority of renters are not doing this.
I'm saving money WHILE renting, buy losing money BY renting. When housing costs the same as renting, housing wins out after a short period of time, unless one needs to sell when they are underwater.

Can you link the NPR story, btw?

Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Can you link the NPR story, btw?
I heard it on the radio either last night or the night before... Maybe All Things Considered?

Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I heard it on the radio either last night or the night before... Maybe All Things Considered?
It was on All Things Considered yesterday, in fact. Here is the story:

Investors Take Note That Rental Demand Is Up For Single-Family Homes : NPR

Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 PM

173 posts, read 266,744 times
Why mortgage rates are NOT going up now, but... - Dec. 17, 2015

Old 12-17-2015, 06:44 PM

748 posts, read 832,323 times
Thank you both - the flipside of why housing might not fall with rate increases: rental increases.

More bad news for renters - Dec. 15, 2015

Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,050 times
Real estate is very local. Seattle is the number 1 market in the country right now, and we have basically a 1 month supply, where 6 months is normal. They are still building in this area, we are still in an expansion phase, but the next phase will be a down turn, though I wouldn't expect it until about 2017-2018. There is still upside in my area IMO. I could be wrong, but I'm glad I bought another house last year instead of waiting to see what happens. I'm up over 60K in one year on the house and the market is not slowing down this winter due to short supply. Limited inventory to pick from!

I'm still considering/looking to buy a couple more houses while I still can. I had a huge run up with the three I bought between late 2010 and mid 2014. But there is still upside, and I'm a buy and hold investor, so I'm more concerned with cash flow and tax benefits, and having someone else pay to maintain my house via their rent money. If the house goes up in value which it will in the long run, I'll consider that a bonus. Cash flow is KING.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 PM

107 posts, read 247,093 times
What support do you have that real wages are remaining steady or declining? To me the economy has been on a steady recovery. Gas prices are way down and the DOW is way up. I think it was a great time to raise rates.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
There are two absolute truths here.

1) increasing interest rates have an adverse affect on housing markets
2) none of us know how much\fast the increase will be (or not)

*shrug* we were supposed to have $500/barrell oil and $3,000/ounce gold by now.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 PM

179 posts, read 496,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHunter
What support do you have that real wages are remaining steady or declining?
2014 Continues a 35-Year Trend of Broad-Based Wage Stagnation | Economic Policy Institute

Quote:
To me the economy has been on a steady recovery. Gas prices are way down
Gas prices are way down because the Saudi's are trying to price out the frackers. Once they're dead we'll be back at $4 in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs