Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:02 AM

29 posts, read 28,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I used to shop at McChesney's before they closed, lived on Pennsylvania Ave. Even with shortcuts traffic is a nightmare once the buses start rolling at 2PM lasting until 6PM. I still go to Alfie's regularly and love Barones. But if given the choice, I'd take Barrington over Glen Ellyn in a heart beat.

The whole town is literally surrounded by miles of forest preserve.
Ah, comparison's are good, but Glen Ellyn was not on my own list. I don't recall why I scratched it off, but I did. So, good to know anyways:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I think the OP's choices are all excellent. Barrington, Tower Lakes, and parts of Inverness feed into the same school district. Other areas of Inverness feed into Fremd district which is good. And I've always heard good things about Wheaton schools and love that area.
Thank you!

Old 12-31-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
From District 220 website...

"At this time there is no mandate for gifted education in the state of Illinois. The current Illinois law regarding gifted education states that the requirement for gifted services is incumbent upon state funding. Since there is no state or federal funding available for gifted education, districts must use their own funds if they decide to have gifted programs. Many Illinois school districts have drastically reduced or totally cut their gifted programs. Barrington has a long history of supporting high ability learners. In a state that offers no funding or requirement for trained teachers of gifted students, 220’s Extended teachers stand out with strong backgrounds in gifted education and frequent professional development experiences. These teachers often host visitors from other school districts who see 220 as a well-developed model to explore as they attempt to expand or revise their gifted programs. Extended teachers are also popular presenters at the Illinois Association for Gifted Children conventions. The continuum of gifted services is regularly cited by families as their primary reason for moving to Barrington. These services are periodically reviewed and revised to reflect current best practice in gifted education.

In an era in which much attention is focused on students reaching minimal benchmarks, gifted students as a group are being overlooked. Lawmakers need to hear individual stories of how challenging curriculum taught by trained instructors can engage and motivate our strongest learners; the students who could become our nation’s greatest problem solvers. Parents whose children have had successful experiences in District 220’s Extended Program are encouraged to contact their legislators to help them understand the crucial need for statewide expansion of services for gifted students. To truly make a difference in what is made available for all gifted children, parents and teachers need to make lawmakers aware of the unique needs of high ability students."

http://barrington220.org/site/defaul...6&PageID=10948
Big thumbs up for Barrington, that they not only support their local programs but take interest at the state level.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:59 AM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times
We've been eyeing Barrington as well. I have a question though for anyone that knows the area well. The schools there seem to have a consistent uptick in Hispanic population as well as students that qualify for free/discounted lunch. Why is this happening in Barrington? I don't mind diversity, but when I see a consistent trend like that, it makes me wonder about the future of an area.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
We've been eyeing Barrington as well. I have a question though for anyone that knows the area well. The schools there seem to have a consistent uptick in Hispanic population as well as students that qualify for free/discounted lunch. Why is this happening in Barrington? I don't mind diversity, but when I see a consistent trend like that, it makes me wonder about the future of an area.
How are you seeing an upswing? While I don't see increasing discounted lunch or hispanic area necessarily in the areas I'm interested in, I wouldn't use that as an indicator of a community's wellbeing regardless and also the elementary schools feed from more than just Barrington. I definitely see a pattern of most of Barrrington having a slower market than other affluent areas I am considering, but I intend on capitalizing on that AND getting a more diverse schooling experience for my children. And that's because I decided against Oak Park for other reasons (like the rarity of an attached garage!).

I get very annoyed every time I read a blurb that touts Barrington as the richest zip code, how affluent it is,
bla bla bla, and it worries me that as a result I'll run in to a phenomenon people who moved there simply because of wanting to appear more 'affluent'. Perhaps that is creating an influx of lower income people, but hopefully more are drawn to the schools.

Barrington is far from being the richest zip code in the USA, but somebody keeps promoting it as otherwise, and I'm guessing they have vested interests in Barrington.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:42 AM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times
SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance

put in a school and then click on the students tab and then ethnicity and free/disc lunch.

Here's the high school link > Barrington High School in Barrington IL - SchoolDigger.com

Schools are a key component of home values. If the schools deteriorate, home values will also.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,268 times
Quote:
SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance

put in a school and then click on the students tab and then ethnicity and free/disc lunch.

Here's the high school link > Barrington High School in Barrington IL - SchoolDigger.com

Schools are a key component of home values. If the schools deteriorate, home values will also.
Thanks, I'm familiar with the site, but not on how you established a growing population of lower income/Hispanic.

ETA: ok, now I see it, thanks:-)

I don't know why, but my guess is that white/wealthy people are moving outwards, creating more suburban sprawl in places like Hawthorn Woods, whose school district I haven't seen/heard good things of. Teacher retention is what I focus on, and I use illinoisreportcard's website.

I briefly considered northwest Indiana for similar reasons (lower taxes), but decided against it due to the lack of community I sensed and interest in privatizing schools.

Let me know if you see anything else interesting.

EETA: I don't use only teacher retention, since teachers in places with higher unemployment rates tend to have higher retention and results in tenured, lazy teachers who would rather be elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,690 times
Quote:
Parts of Carpentersville is in the Barrington school district which has a large hispanic population. Parts of Hoffman Estates is also in the Barrington school district which has a sizeable hispanic population. Barrington isn't as expensive as Libertyville or the north shore because it's further NW.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,690 times
[quote=4122;42459992]Parts of Carpentersville is in the Barrington school district which has a large hispanic population. Parts of Hoffman Estates is also in the Barrington school district which has a sizeable hispanic population. Barrington isn't as expensive as Libertyville or the north shore because it's further NW. IL report card is more accurate.
BARRINGTON HIGH SCHOOL | School Snapshot

Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 4,268 times
[quote=4122;42460043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Barrington isn't as expensive as Libertyville or the north shore because it's further NW. IL report card is more accurate.
BARRINGTON HIGH SCHOOL | School Snapshot
Hi, I'm confused, as to why being further northwest would make something less expensive, and also as to what you mean, considering that Libertyville is Northeast according to my map, and there are a lot of other suburbs south of there which are just as expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs