Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
No one actually said anything about crime in Flossmoor being bad, just Homewood.

Whether or not someone doesn't personally like a particular area is one thing. Or does not care for the demographics of the people who live in a particular area. What I have a problem with is the completely inaccurate information that in my opinion is nothing more than disguised racism. I do not think it's a coincidence that most of those trolling and constantly making these sort of unfounded claims have stated that they are mostly from a particular area that is notorious for having problems with racism and bigotry. The people with the real social problems obviously live in that area, not in Homewood-Flossmoor. But they don't seem to get it and continue to keep going on and on with these totally uninformed claims.

Flossmoor, Homewood, and Olympia Fields all have among the highest percentages of college educated residents in the chicagoland area. This is not just an unfounded claim but is a matter of fact that can easily be supported. And of course the income levels in those areas reflect that higher level of education attainment of the residents who live there. The crime rates are well below the national average. And there is really nothing that I can think of that anyone rational would be afraid of unless living around college educated professionals somehow makes them feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by allen2323; 01-18-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I'm not as familiar with Homewood/Flossmoor, but I am very familiar with Tinley Park. Parts of it have a small town feel (the downtown area around Oak Park Ave.) and parts of it are subdivisions, big box stores and typical suburbia. Overall, its a very nice suburb with great schools. Andrew High School in Tinley Park rates very highly. You can check schools there and the other towns you are interested in on GreatSchools.net. Will you will be working downtown? If so, the Tinley Park metra train will let you off in the Southwest side of the loop at LaSalle and VanBuren, Homewood Flossmoor will let you off on the Northeast side of the loop, at Michigan and Randolph. Depending on where your job is, one of these may be closer than the other and cut down on commute time.
Homewood and Flossmoor are on the Metra Electric line.
Tinley is the Rock Island Line

Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Default we should all hit ourselves on the head...

How could any of us miss this?

Chipotle Restaurant to open in Homewood

I guess people were too hyped about the Matteson location that this kind of get sidelined...I feel this should have been built closer to downtown Homewood or at least the Cherry Creek Plaza area. But this location should definitely be better than the Matteson one. I honestly don't give the Matteson location too much longer before it closes.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM

117 posts, read 332,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
How could any of us miss this?

Chipotle Restaurant to open in Homewood

I guess people were too hyped about the Matteson location that this kind of get sidelined...I feel this should have been built closer to downtown Homewood or at least the Cherry Creek Plaza area. But this location should definitely be better than the Matteson one. I honestly don't give the Matteson location too much longer before it closes.
Did Chipotle announce already that they would be closing the location in Matteson? That was fast. Do you have a link? It has always appeared to be a very busy location to me. That strip has seen some new life because it's also close to the subdivisions in the eastern part of frankfort. Also in close enough proximity for residents in farther out areas like crete and monee. It not only serves clientele in matteson. I have eaten there and it gets a pretty mixed crowd. Although, I have gotten lunch at that location a few times, and some of the patrons have had some serious attitudes towards the employees. Very disrespectful, and speaking to the employees in a demeaning way. Not to sound racist. But, why is it that so many blacks have such a disgusting attitude when it comes to speaking to restaurant employees. Especially employees who are not black. I have noticed this at a lot of big chain restaurants in mostly black areas. It never fails to see a grown black woman who clearly knows better mouthing off, and venting her frustrations of the day out on some poor restaurant employee. Or some ignorant moron complaining about every minor thing. It really does ruin it for those who just want to go somewhere decent and enjoy a meal in there own neighborhood. No one wants to frequent a place where some of the clientele does not know how to act when out in public.

Last edited by tjake; 08-14-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Did Chipotle announce already that they would be closing the location in Matteson? That was fast. Do you have a link? I doubt it because it's one of the busier locations. It not only serves matteson. That area has seen some new life because it's close to the subdivisions in the eastern part of frankfort. Also in close enough proximity for residents in farther out areas like crete and monee. I have eaten there and it gets a pretty mixed crowd. But not to sound racist, why is it that so many blacks have such a disgusting attitude when it comes to speaking to restaurant employees. Especially employees who are not black. I have noticed this at a lot of nice restaurants in mostly black areas. It never fails to see a grown black woman who clearly knows better mouthing off, and venting her frustrations of the day out on some poor restaurant employee. Or some ignorant moron complaining about every minor thing. It really does ruin it for those who just want to go somewhere decent and enjoy a meal. No one wants to frequent a place were much of the clientele does not know how to act when out in public.
Tell me about it. "Close enough proximity" is an understatement. Actually, Richton Park, Olympia Fields and Matteson are the ONLY close areas to Monee for a cluster of shopping and dining options. Crete is more east though..

I would know since I lived in Monee for 7 years. Although I recently moved to Flossmoor. Matteson can burn down now and I'll still have other places to go.

BTW: Nino's in Matteson closed down. WTF? I don't even care anymore. Does anyone know a good pizza by the slice place around Homewood-Flossmoor or Tinley-Orland-Oak Forest?

Last edited by urza216; 08-14-2012 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Tell me about it. "Close enough proximity" is an understatement. Actually, Richton Park, Olympia Fields and Matteson are the ONLY close areas to Monee for a cluster of shopping and dining options. Crete is more east though..

I would know since I lived in Monee for 7 years. Although I recently moved to Flossmoor. Matteson can burn down now and I'll still have other places to go.

BTW: Nino's in Matteson closed down. WTF? I don't even care anymore. Does anyone know a good pizza by the slice place around Homewood-Flossmoor or Tinley-Orland-Oak Forest?

Homewood along halsted has the same issue with a lot of the restaurant patrons. It's pretty universal among some black customers to have bad attitudes when speaking to restaurant staff. It seems to have become some sort of new norm. It's really sad to see it in public coming from grown black women in particular. Considering how many good patrons there are in those areas who want to just enjoy having good restaurants to dine out at. There seems to be absolutely no shame in how some of them will behave in public.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Homewood along halsted has the same issue with a lot of the restaurant patrons. It's pretty universal among some black customers to have bad attitudes when speaking to restaurant staff. It seems to have become some sort of new norm. It's really sad to see it in public coming from grown black women in particular. Considering how many good patrons there are in those areas who want to just enjoy having good restaurants to dine out at. There seems to be absolutely no shame in how some of them will behave in public.
I agree with you and I disagree with you. Of course, if the area is majority black, the inconsiderate [insert word we can't say on city data] are gonna be majority black.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I agree with you and I disagree with you. Of course, if the area is majority black, the inconsiderate [insert word we can't say on city data] are gonna be majority black.
I am no way just talking about areas like homewood and matteson. And I am not a racist person. But there is no reason to be so politically correct that you ignore the obvious problems in our society. This is something that happens just about everywhere that I seem to go these days. And it does disproportionately involve black women and occasionally you will see some ignorant black guy joining in to mouth off as well. This appears to be some sort of new cultural norm that has gained acceptance in the black community. I've witnessed this to the extreme just a couple of weeks ago at the Dave and Busters in Addison. I was there for a kid birthday party and there was this grown black woman throwing a complete fit a few tables over. She was cursing out a restaurant employee and was eventually asked to leave. Several members of her party joined in. And before leaving she threw several plates of food on the floor.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 PM

39 posts, read 98,465 times
I'm currently looking for a place to live in the southern suburbs and I'll be the first one to admit that the first thing I'm looking at is the ethnic make up of each city. In almost all cases, the cities with the higher black and Hispanic populations also have the higher crime rates. I don't care about the social-economic reasons for their troubles, I just know that I'm not interested in living in those places. If that's racist, so be it.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwoodguy1 View Post
If you are not a fan of diversity than stick with Tinley Park. Second choose flossmoor if you find an affordable place....Homewood is still nice but has more crime than the other 2.
I would say that the property taxes on many of the higher end homes in Flossmoor and Olympia Fields are over assessed. The property taxes in the nicer areas of flosssmoor and olympia fields are outragous. Which ends up dragging down the overall prices that homes are being sold for. If the property taxes were lower then home prices would be much higher out there. There is a foreclosed mansion on the market in olympia fields that has a $190,000 a year property tax bill. I think maybe the residents out there need to vote for a new township assessor when the next election roles around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs