U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,644 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I have been renting in Oak Park for 5 years now and we just found out that we have a little one on the way which means our current one bedroom apartment wont be big enough anymore.

We love living in Oak Park (moved from Ohio) but we realize that we wont be able to afford buying there especially with my wife no longer working.

I work in Lagrange and would like to be within a 45 minute commute to work, priced under $200K.

First time buyers and not terribly familiar with any suburbs other than Oak Park and Lagrange, any advice/help on towns to start looking in would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,578,082 times
If you work in LaGrange it is kind of a slam dunk to put Brookfield at the top of your list. If you are OK with a fixer-upper you might want to look at something like this -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13293275

If you can get a good discount / stretch a bit you can probably get something that is more "move-in ready" -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13293671

This is little bit smaller, but it might be easy to expand with upstairs bedrooms down the road -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/13295052

Ever think about being a landlord? Here is great way to have a tenant pay your mortgage while the live in one unit, very attractive pricing -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/14067243

Last edited by chet everett; 01-06-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,644 times
Thanks for the reply I will check out brookfield

Unfortunately I'm not really handy at all and wouldn't have the time to put much work into a house, we are looking for something that is move in ready,

My wife cant stand bungalow style houses, so any bungalows would be non-starters for her

Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM

165 posts, read 271,733 times
I agree Brookfield is an obvious choice. Still, at 200k you have to be realistic about what type of home you are going to get, especially if you're looking in an area with good schools for the little one. If you're ok with a 2 or 3 BR, 1 or 1.5 BA home, Brookfield will give you options that you won't find in other areas. They probably won't be "beautiful" homes, but with a coat of paint, your furniture, and hanging some pictures on the wall, you can definitely make these homes look "cute". Many of the homes are bungalows, so cutting out those options will limit you some. I would also check La Grange Park which will have fewer options at 200k but also less bungalows. I live in Brookfield and have made many posts about the area, feel free to use the search function to check out the info.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:50 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,517,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightell View Post
Thanks for the reply I will check out brookfield

Unfortunately I'm not really handy at all and wouldn't have the time to put much work into a house, we are looking for something that is move in ready,

My wife cant stand bungalow style houses, so any bungalows would be non-starters for her
The issue is that you're looking for a house well below the median home price in Chicagoland, and most towns with lower-than-median-price houses are just not very nice. So if schools and safety are important to you, you either have to compromise on a house or move way the hell out to the sticks.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM

738 posts, read 654,067 times
OP - Have you considered a 2BR condo in Oak Park? You should be able to find something around 200K w/ low HOA fees. Great schools in Oak Park.

Brookfield is still a great recommendation. Lombard, Villa Park, and points northwest of La Grange might also be good choices in your price range with decent schools.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,762,863 times
I agree w/ Lombard, Villa Park or a 2 bed condo in Oak Park. Brookfield has many bungalows and if your wife doesn't like bungalows, Brookfield wouldn't be the best fit. You could also look for a 2 bed condo in Brookfield too. Also look at Woodridge, Batavia, Itasca, Bloomingdale, Roselle, Lisle, Tinley Park, Westmont, the Palos towns, Homewood, Flossmoor. Luckily, La Grange is centrally located so you have a lot of areas to choose from.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,578,082 times
Default Actually, Berwyn had FAR MORE bungalows than Brookfield...

There are lots of nicer Tudors, Cape Cods, and Victorians in Brookfield, especially in the section of town closer to the zoo known as "Hollywood"...

Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 PM

165 posts, read 271,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are lots of nicer Tudors, Cape Cods, and Victorians in Brookfield, especially in the section of town closer to the zoo known as "Hollywood"...
True. However, the Hollywood section is also by far the most expensive part of Brookfield, on par with Riverside prices in part due to the charming curvy streets in addition to bigger houses on larger lots (many 300ft deep lots) and feeding into the well-regarded Hollywood Elementary school.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:31 AM

649 posts, read 854,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I agree w/ Lombard, Villa Park or a 2 bed condo in Oak Park. Brookfield has many bungalows and if your wife doesn't like bungalows, Brookfield wouldn't be the best fit. You could also look for a 2 bed condo in Brookfield too. Also look at Woodridge, Batavia, Itasca, Bloomingdale, Roselle, Lisle, Tinley Park, Westmont, the Palos towns, Homewood, Flossmoor. Luckily, La Grange is centrally located so you have a lot of areas to choose from.
I think Lisle and Batavia might be a stretch from the price side of things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs