Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Maybe Wheeling? Or Mundelein.
Mundelein would work. Not tons of inventory, but doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I live in Miller Beach, which although in Gary, is a very safe area (yes such an area exists in Gary). It is also very very integrated and is probably the premier neighborhood in the Chicago area (one of the finest in the country) for mid-century modern architecture. It also is surrounded on four sides by Chicagoland's only National Park, the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. The neighborhood is experiencing a renaissance and is attracting people from all over.

Here is a verycool place right at your price point

Marvelous Mid-Century Modern Ranch! | Powered by Paradym

And taxes in Indiana are capped at 1% so you'd pay about 1500/year in tax...living in a non-kleptocracy has its benefits.

another one for 99

8201 Locust Avenue, Gary, IN For Sale | Trulia.com
Both of those houses would make them go nuts.

Is this Mid Century craze a big deal among younger couples? I thought they were ga ga for stainless and granite?

I don't think they ever thought of Gary. But I'll bring it up to them. They are visiting us on their drive from NJ to Chicago. My wife thinks that wanting all of this retro 50s 60s stuff is odd.

To be honest, I do too.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
I totally understand the whole trend...the hmes have a sense of scale and intimacy often missing in newer homes. My own house I call mid-century pre-modern...from 51, but it shares the same sense of space. Miller is just a mile or so from 80/94. Make sure they check out Indian Boundary Drive...it's a mid-century smorgasbord..could totally be a location for a mid-century film set. Have them pm me if they want more info, a friend of mine is a top Miller Beach real estate agent.

And also tell them, if they end up in the area, they would not be alone in their love for that style of home, met loads of people who chose Miller because of a similar love of mid-century homes. As an explainer, Gary was one of the boomingest cities in the country in the 50's, and Miller was the elite hood (and still is) of the city, which explains its riches in this area.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:17 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post

Is this Mid Century craze a big deal among younger couples? I thought they were ga ga for stainless and granite?

I don't think they ever thought of Gary. But I'll bring it up to them. They are visiting us on their drive from NJ to Chicago. My wife thinks that wanting all of this retro 50s 60s stuff is odd.

To be honest, I do too.
I'm 32, wife is 35. We have 2 young kids. We enjoy MCM style as well. Now I wouldn't want to have Windows, carpet, clothes from the 50s-70s because we have gotten much better at making things but the style, architecture and even lifestyle are very attractive to many younger people.

The newer 'drywalled boxes' with beige paint and typical finishes and vinyl siding and neo-colonial random detailing arent for everyone. Give me a well-built ranch with vaulted ceilings, stone and brink, great proportions and layout over a bad 2-story with wall to wall carpet and oak trim.

Also the furniture designs and styles now - many are recreating the lines and wood and style of the MCM era. See Room and Board, West Elm, Thrive, Joybird etc. Quality of design over size of cushions.

Last edited by mr roboto; 01-09-2016 at 07:25 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 04:34 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
I totally agree about mcm. It is by far one of my favorite housing styles. Just as roboto said, the lines, the layout and for me the casement windows are awesome. We had an mcm in Flossmoor. Just watch out for water in the basement in the HF area.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post

Who says you can't have Granite and Stainless in an MCM home? Especially since many times parts of the kitchen may be nearing the end of their useful service life in a home that age. A lot of folks my age (I'm an older millennial) do like them; you often get a yard, while not open concept the houses flow nicely, and many are quite handsome. The older neighborhoods are established with trees, etc, and sometimes closer to village cores. I wouldn't call it a universal preference but certainly there is a cohort of my generation that appreciates them. I think many older generations simply look at them and see postwar subdivisions.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Spoke to my nephew today and told him to think about looking at Gary. They sound enthusiastic.

They brought up another area that they said was similar to the Levittown developments in NY, NJ and PA called Park Forest (or Forest Park) .

What is your collective opinion about that area?

Old 01-10-2016, 02:40 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Think it is Park Forest. But honestly, I am a typical Lake snob...can't comprehend wy anyone would live in the Chicago area without being within walking distance to the lake and beach (plus you do save money on heating and air conditioning thanks to the Lake). And in terms of appreciation, no place in the Midwest is better positioned than Gary....mark my word.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Riiiiight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Think it is Park Forest. But honestly, I am a typical Lake snob...can't comprehend wy anyone would live in the Chicago area without being within walking distance to the lake and beach (plus you do save money on heating and air conditioning thanks to the Lake). And in terms of appreciation, no place in the Midwest is better positioned than Gary....mark my word.
Folks that understand how decades of job losses, closing of retailers, massive issues with environmental concerns and general lawlessness have decimated property values. There is no guarantee that even if things have "hit bottom" that there will any swift "upswing" -- far more likely that prices will remain depressed for the foreseeable future. The negative trends that continue to force values down in the south suburbs and the southern neighborhoods of Chicago also are going to hurt NW Indiana -- employment is shrinking, population shifts toward those less able to support themselves, and increasingly stratified / inequal ...

Old 01-10-2016, 04:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Who says you can't have Granite and Stainless in an MCM home? Especially since many times parts of the kitchen may be nearing the end of their useful service life in a home that age. A lot of folks my age (I'm an older millennial) do like them; you often get a yard, while not open concept the houses flow nicely, and many are quite handsome. The older neighborhoods are established with trees, etc, and sometimes closer to village cores. I wouldn't call it a universal preference but certainly there is a cohort of my generation that appreciates them. I think many older generations simply look at them and see postwar subdivisions.
So right. I am a Gen X'er, and agree wholeheartedly with your post. My younger millennial son also likes mcm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs