Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:18 PM

24 posts, read 141,749 times

Advertisements

My husband took a job in Chicago (west loop). We currently live about 70 miles south and will need to move closer. We have 4 school age children so a family friendly neighborhood and safe/good schools are important. Can you please make suggestions as to where we should look for housing? Our budget is under $400,000 for a 4 bedroom. We would like to be close to public transportation (metra or cta blue line). We are currently considering Brookfield/ Riverside and Oak Park but are there other towns that we should consider? I'm also open to living in Chicago but am unfamiliar with the neighborhoods and public schools. We are used to living in a pretty rural area so I realize that this move will be quite a shock but we are all looking forward to something different. We are open to suburbs that are a little farther away but a shorter commute is a priority. I appreciate any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Oak Park is pretty dense and expensive. Riverside is beautiful and also expensive. Still I have seen houses for sale in your price range. Brookfield is budget friendly.

I assume your husband plans on taking the train. YOu could really live along any of the metra routes. You could look into Downers Grove or Elmhurst. Under 400 k. is a tough budget to meet in those areas but it depends on your expectations for a house. If you are willing to get something modest its doable. A few examples of what you might get for your price range.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/18027358

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/18016105

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Brookfield.../home/14067831

Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 AM

748 posts, read 833,410 times
The home in brookfield is nice, but isn't the elementary school there wanting? Perhaps OP does not need elementary schools.

If they are willing to have a longer commute, Wheaton is always an option, too.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
Oak Park and Elmhurst are out of your budget. Riverside might work and Brookfield will. Downers Grove is a good choice. Also, add Lisle, Naperville, Burr Ridge, Darien, Warrenville, Winfield, and Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are worth looking into although you might not gond anything on your budget.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 PM

165 posts, read 309,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
The home in brookfield is nice, but isn't the elementary school there wanting? Perhaps OP does not need elementary schools.

If they are willing to have a longer commute, Wheaton is always an option, too.
Yes, the south east sliver of Brookfield feeds into Lyons (District 103) school, which is not a good school. That is why prices are lower there. The rest of Brookfield Schools are great (especially Hollywood elementary and Brook Park).

Old 02-16-2016, 10:50 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
If the job is in the West Loop, OP doesn't need to go to the Western Burbs. Oak Park was what first sprung to mind, but I don't think there is much in her price range. Especially if the husband takes the train, any of the suburbs could work. Orland Park might be an option. Or I personally would go north. My first two suggestions are almost always Oak Park and Evanston, but I don't think Evanston is an option in this price range, either. But something like Skokie could be.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:35 AM

33 posts, read 51,014 times
If you don't mind a 30 minute Metra ride, you should consider Elmhurst (more pricey), Villa Park, and Lombard (tons of amenities). I do like the Brookfield area, but prefer slightly bigger lots in the western burbs. Schools are good, shopping is wonderful and commuting is easy. I would not go too much further west as it increases the commute time (look at Metra express train schedule) and the property taxes climb. Elmhurst is GREAT but it is too expensive. Villa Park has run-down feeling parts but a great community feel (parades, festivals) and Lombard has a lot of community and every store possible! Downers Grove, the adjacent neighbor has great amenities as well (half of "Lombard" amenitites are technically in DG) but the train runs into a different station (Union vs Ogilvy) which may be a benefit for communting (but usually adds more walking).

Old 02-29-2016, 09:40 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaC View Post
My husband took a job in Chicago (west loop). We currently live about 70 miles south and will need to move closer. We have 4 school age children so a family friendly neighborhood and safe/good schools are important. Can you please make suggestions as to where we should look for housing? Our budget is under $400,000 for a 4 bedroom. We would like to be close to public transportation (metra or cta blue line). We are currently considering Brookfield/ Riverside and Oak Park but are there other towns that we should consider? I'm also open to living in Chicago but am unfamiliar with the neighborhoods and public schools. We are used to living in a pretty rural area so I realize that this move will be quite a shock but we are all looking forward to something different. We are open to suburbs that are a little farther away but a shorter commute is a priority. I appreciate any suggestions!
Virtually all the CPS schools in areas you can afford will stink but if your kids can get into a magnet (competitive) or you can afford private then maybe areas like Tri-Taylor or West Town close to Western Ave could work on your budget, and are changing for the better. And they would be a close commute to the West Loop.

As to suburbs, Oak Park and Riverside are great, if you can afford housing and the astronomical taxes. Be sure to check what taxes will be before pulling the trigger. They can be double, or more, over what you'd pay in Chicago. Elmhurst is nice but you really start adding to the commute.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
As to suburbs, Oak Park and Riverside are great, if you can afford housing and the astronomical taxes. Be sure to check what taxes will be before pulling the trigger. They can be double, or more, over what you'd pay in Chicago. Elmhurst is nice but you really start adding to the commute.
Adding to BRU67's comment, if you are going to move to a high-property tax suburb (otherwise known as a suburb nowadays), make sure you can utilize the public schools. With four kids, you will come out ahead regardless of what your tax bill is if you compare it to private school tuition.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Adding to BRU67's comment, if you are going to move to a high-property tax suburb (otherwise known as a suburb nowadays), make sure you can utilize the public schools. With four kids, you will come out ahead regardless of what your tax bill is if you compare it to private school tuition.
Yup, correct. And with four kids, the OP would almost surely come out ahead in the Oak Park/public schools v. Chicago/private school formula. But sometimes, people don't pay attention to the taxes and get a big surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs