Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:49 AM

72 posts, read 464,688 times

Advertisements

If you needed to live near 88 & work on Warrenville Rd (with less than a 20 minute commute around 8 a.m.), where would you live?

Some background --
-Coming from Florida where kids (8 & 10) are currently in $$$ private non-religious school. Public schools will be absolutely welcome but we cannot stand ultra competitive parents/kids. We have some of that here & it is incredibly nauseating. Our kids do great in school & would likely qualify for a gifted program if one was available, however a gifted program is not a necessity.

- We can afford up to $1.5 million (but I would be just as happy to stay well under our budget) & don't want cookie cutter & want to be around "normal folks" -- no interest in keeping up with anyone except loving on our own little family & enjoying people with like minds. We are pretty normal, open-minded folks. We built our current home 2 years ago in a neighborhood of all custom homes, so we are used to the nice quality & tight home we have. It would be hard to go to a home with 8' ceilings or one that was slapped together. We are not interested in a country club lifestyle, which is very popular where we live. We are in the minority not belonging to a country club here.

- A family-friendly area is really important. Kids like a few after school activities, but they are not sporty or competitive. Again my son is surrounded by a lot of little boys who are crazed sports nuts & it is hard to relate to the boys at times. I want the kids to be outside as much as possible. I don't want an enormous yard.

- An attached garage is really important

- We are an agnostic/atheist couple & we are tolerant of all religions/ethnicities but we do not tolerate religious zealots who feel superiority over others. We would not do well in an ultra conservative Christian area.

- We are not big consumerists. We would prefer a day out in nature versus a day shopping (including myself, mom) & try to lead a pretty simple life. We do like to eat out a lot (especially on the weekends) & enjoy more local restaurants versus chains.

We've been told Naperville over & over but I obviously cannot gauge all the above over a week-long visit & I've heard mixed reviews from the few people I know that way. We don't necessarily have to take this job in Illinois, so this will be a big change for us coming from Florida, & I want to make sure it will be a good fit for our family.

Thank you greatly for your time & input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:07 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,111 times
I would visit naperville, glen ellyn and wheaton - one of them will stand out. All 3 are awesome. Naperville will be hard to beat if you like the big little town feel...

Naperville is the most popular...

Old 03-05-2016, 10:19 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
Batavia

Old 03-05-2016, 06:46 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
How about Geneva?

Old 03-05-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
I would visit naperville, glen ellyn and wheaton - one of them will stand out. All 3 are awesome. Naperville will be hard to beat if you like the big little town feel...

Naperville is the most popular...
Thank you!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Batavia
I will take a look, thanks!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:05 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I second the above towns. I don't think you have to worry about ultra conservative religious zealots in any of those towns, this is not the south. I have never been asked by any new acquaintance where I go to church. From what I hear, that's not uncommon in the south. Wheaton is known as having a lot of churches, but I don't think it's a close minded community. I haven't spent tons of time there, but I do have an agnostic friend who lives there and she likes it.

Please report back. A lot of people ask for advice and then disappear.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I second the above towns. I don't think you have to worry about ultra conservative religious zealots in any of those towns, this is not the south. I have never been asked by any new acquaintance where I go to church. From what I hear, that's not uncommon in the south. Wheaton is known as having a lot of churches, but I don't think it's a close minded community. I haven't spent tons of time there, but I do have an agnostic friend who lives there and she likes it.

Please report back. A lot of people ask for advice and then disappear.
Thank you so much! This is refreshing to know! I will definitely report back how our experience goes & where we end up if we call the Chicago suburbs home.

You are spot-on with the south. Sometimes it is one of the first things brought up in conversation meeting a new person down here, which is totally fine. We have friends from all religions & walks of life. My familial background is quite religious & very condemning of those not just like them (& hence very guilt-ridden), & we have have made a personal choice not raise our family like this nor do we want this influence around us on a daily basis.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:07 AM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax32256 View Post
If you needed to live near 88 & work on Warrenville Rd (with less than a 20 minute commute around 8 a.m.), where would you live?

Some background --
-Coming from Florida where kids (8 & 10) are currently in $$$ private non-religious school. Public schools will be absolutely welcome but we cannot stand ultra competitive parents/kids. We have some of that here & it is incredibly nauseating. Our kids do great in school & would likely qualify for a gifted program if one was available, however a gifted program is not a necessity.

- We can afford up to $1.5 million (but I would be just as happy to stay well under our budget) & don't want cookie cutter & want to be around "normal folks" -- no interest in keeping up with anyone except loving on our own little family & enjoying people with like minds. We are pretty normal, open-minded folks. We built our current home 2 years ago in a neighborhood of all custom homes, so we are used to the nice quality & tight home we have. It would be hard to go to a home with 8' ceilings or one that was slapped together. We are not interested in a country club lifestyle, which is very popular where we live. We are in the minority not belonging to a country club here.

- A family-friendly area is really important. Kids like a few after school activities, but they are not sporty or competitive. Again my son is surrounded by a lot of little boys who are crazed sports nuts & it is hard to relate to the boys at times. I want the kids to be outside as much as possible. I don't want an enormous yard.

- An attached garage is really important

- We are an agnostic/atheist couple & we are tolerant of all religions/ethnicities but we do not tolerate religious zealots who feel superiority over others. We would not do well in an ultra conservative Christian area.

- We are not big consumerists. We would prefer a day out in nature versus a day shopping (including myself, mom) & try to lead a pretty simple life. We do like to eat out a lot (especially on the weekends) & enjoy more local restaurants versus chains.

We've been told Naperville over & over but I obviously cannot gauge all the above over a week-long visit & I've heard mixed reviews from the few people I know that way. We don't necessarily have to take this job in Illinois, so this will be a big change for us coming from Florida, & I want to make sure it will be a good fit for our family.

Thank you greatly for your time & input!

It might be a bit far for where you're working, but parts of Downers Grove and also Lisle could be worth a look. I'm going to be moving to Downers Grove (the 'more desirable' Northwest area), and you pretty much described my views on life in your post above. Fairly wealthy (although our budget is significantly lower), not at all religious, don't do the country club thing, like to be outside in nature, and value good public schools.

You'll find a lot of this in various Western suburbs. Let us know how the search goes, I'm certain there are many who would welcome you with open arms!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
You seem to have a high budget. I would look in South Wheaton in the newer developments. South Wheaton is closer to Naperville than some parts of Naperville and is very close to the 1-88 corridor. You will find people of mixed religious or non religious backgrounds. I'd stay away from North Wheaton as it attracts more Christian types. Its has beautiful parks, the prairie path, swimming pools, and great shopping and schools. You are also near Morton Arboreteum as well as Blackwell forest preserve and Herrick Lake. I live in south Wheaton and I can get to down town Naperville in about ten minutes. Easy to get into the city as I 88 is just a stones throw away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs