Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 AM

155 posts, read 213,251 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

So I've lived in West Rogers Park in Chicago for 20 years (I'm 30) and my wife is expecting our first child in July.

We are Ok to live here for another 3-4 years but the goal is to go to the northern burbs by then. I need to be close to West Rogers Park as my mom is getting older is alone.

I need to be near the Metra as I work downtown Chicago. My wife works at Abbott, by Libertyville.

I'm looking at places like Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park due to it being somewhere in the middle in terms of commute to downtown.

Further places like Buffalo Grove, Libertyville, etc but I do not want to spend 1hr+ each way on the train. My wife's drive now is 45 min and it seems to be about the same or a bit better .

What do you guys think? Any other places I can add to the mix? Ideally, we want a 3br house, with backyard and a 2 car garage for under 400k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Budget is really going to be a limiting factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd555 View Post
Hi folks,

So I've lived in West Rogers Park in Chicago for 20 years (I'm 30) and my wife is expecting our first child in July.

We are Ok to live here for another 3-4 years but the goal is to go to the northern burbs by then. I need to be close to West Rogers Park as my mom is getting older is alone.

I need to be near the Metra as I work downtown Chicago. My wife works at Abbott, by Libertyville.

I'm looking at places like Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park due to it being somewhere in the middle in terms of commute to downtown.

Further places like Buffalo Grove, Libertyville, etc but I do not want to spend 1hr+ each way on the train. My wife's drive now is 45 min and it seems to be about the same or a bit better .

What do you guys think? Any other places I can add to the mix? Ideally, we want a 3br house, with backyard and a 2 car garage for under 400k.
If $400k is a hard ceiling you will likely need to include some more affordable towns -- I am thinking Niles ' Morton Grove / DesPlaines / Mount Prospect are going to have quite a bit more options in your price range, of course if you are specifically shopping for more "fixer-upper" type properties and have the ability to do something like a 203K to get the place up to current standards you can probably find some options in the more costly areas...

Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If $400k is a hard ceiling you will likely need to include some more affordable towns -- I am thinking Niles ' Morton Grove / DesPlaines / Mount Prospect are going to have quite a bit more options in your price range, of course if you are specifically shopping for more "fixer-upper" type properties and have the ability to do something like a 203K to get the place up to current standards you can probably find some options in the more costly areas...
I've seen some listings that fit our needs on paper, under 400k. 400k is not a hard stop, but I don't want a $3000 mortgage (including property taxes).

I've rules out Des Plaines, Morton Grove, SKokie, Niles due to the school systems being sub par.

Something like this house would work, if it's available in 3 years. I own my condo free and clear now so its not a rush, just as the kid gets ready for school, it would be ideal.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,459 times
Quote:
I've seen some listings that fit our needs on paper, under 400k. 400k is not a hard stop, but I don't want a $3000 mortgage (including property taxes).

I've rules out Des Plaines, Morton Grove, SKokie, Niles due to the school systems being sub par.

Something like this house would work, if it's available in 3 years. I own my condo free and clear now so its not a rush, just as the kid gets ready for school, it would be ideal.
Des Plaines, Morton Grove, and Skokie don't have sub par schools. They have slightly lower test scores than neighboring towns like Glenview, Northbrook, Wilmette, Park Ridge, etc., but that's mostly attributed to higher levels of English language learners and a more diverse student population as a whole.

As Chet mentioned, you'll be hard pressed to find something for under 400k in any of your top choice towns. You could probably manage to sneak into Glenview south of Glenview Road and west of Waukegan, but don't expect to find a ton of properties listed for under 400k.

Edit: If you do look south in Glenview, be careful you don't accidentally end up in unincoroprated Cook County. The realtor will tell you it's Glenview, but it is not. Those properties are also served by Maine Township High Schools (Maine East). If you're worried about what you'll find at Niles North, Niles West, or Evanston, you'll definitely want to avoid Maine East.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 04-07-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 12:29 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,784 times
There are a lot of under 400k 3+ bedrooms in Glenview, Northbrook and Deerfield based on a very quick Redfin perusal. But I didn't control for school district or 2 car garage.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
There are a lot of under 400k 3+ bedrooms in Glenview, Northbrook and Deerfield based on a very quick Redfin perusal. But I didn't control for school district or 2 car garage.
I've done the redfin reviews. There are a few choices there and I love most of these area. Just wanted to get more ideas. I used to work in Skokie and I know its a good suburb, but I also heard some horror stories about High Schools and gangs moving in from Evanston.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Des Plaines, Morton Grove, and Skokie don't have sub par schools. They have slightly lower test scores than neighboring towns like Glenview, Northbrook, Wilmette, Park Ridge, etc., but that's mostly attributed to higher levels of English language learners and a more diverse student population as a whole.

As Chet mentioned, you'll be hard pressed to find something for under 400k in any of your top choice towns. You could probably manage to sneak into Glenview south of Glenview Road and west of Waukegan, but don't expect to find a ton of properties listed for under 400k.
Thank you for the insight. I love Skokie but I can't live there, the taxes are just as bad as Morton Grove and some of the areas are just too sketchy. I've heard a few horror stories about gangs coming into the area and its just not a big enough upgrade in terms of long term for us.

According to greatschools.org the skokie schools are not bad, just not on par with the Glenview, Highland Park, Deerfield or other suburbs.

In terms of Des Plaines, too hit or miss plus you have the flood zones. Morton Grove, Skokie Schools less gangs but higher property taxes.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:49 PM

748 posts, read 834,066 times
Quote:
According to greatschools.org the skokie schools are not bad, just not on par with the Glenview, Highland Park, Deerfield or other suburbs.
Try to avoid greatschools, when possible, the info isn't as comprehensive as some other sources, like: Illinois Report Card

Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

Edit: If you do look south in Glenview, be careful you don't accidentally end up in unincoroprated Cook County. The realtor will tell you it's Glenview, but it is not. Those properties are also served by Maine Township High Schools (Maine East). If you're worried about what you'll find at Niles North, Niles West, or Evanston, you'll definitely want to avoid Maine East.
Good point about Maine East. I've been using Redfin to watch for that

Old 04-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Try to avoid greatschools, when possible, the info isn't as comprehensive as some other sources, like: Illinois Report Card
Great insight, Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs