Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,871 times

Advertisements

I am new to this group. I am a 31 year old single male. I currently reside in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ called Chandler. I have lived in the Phoenix area my entire life.

I have been offered an opportunity to retain my current position within my company, but relocate to a new facility that is being opened in Lake Forest. I've never been to the Chicago area, or even Illinois. As a matter of fact I've never been east of Texas. Now before you go thinking me some simpleton, I have backpacked internationally (Australia, Fiji, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Nepal). I've lived here my whole life because quite frankly I've just not had a reason to leave, and Phoenix is a pretty easy place to call home. It's just easy to live here for the most part.

I don't know squat about the area. All I know about Chicago is the winters are brutally cold and windy. I am very sensitive to the cold, and I really don't like wind. Obviously, I am used to sunshine 350 days/year. And besides brutally hot summers, basically not a lot of weather in any way.

I am in need of a fresh start, and am wondering if you all could provide some insight as to if I should move there? My concerns are these:

- Is Lake Forest going to be a fun/good place for a single person? I'm kinda over the whole "bar scene" but I don't want to live in a place that's been planned and built and developed to accommodate families.

- I mean really, how difficult is the weather to endure in the Chicago area? Is this something I'll acclimate to?

- City Data says the cost of living is 50% (roughly) higher than where I currently live. So my income of $150k/yr here would feel like $90k/yr, there. Is it just residential costs or is everything just really expensive?

Long story short, I'm just looking for general insights here, my lease isn't up in my apt here until June, so I've got some time to think about it.

Aaaaaand, go.

Last edited by BigPeepDoh; 03-28-2016 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: I messed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Lake Forest is one of the most expensive places to live. And it would be very boring for a single person. Many commute from the city, where there is nightlife. Yes, the snow will take some getting used to. And it can rain several times a week. Main feature is the change ability. Last week it rained and snowed, followed by some nice weather. Another feature: it's flat as a pancake. Elevation changes of 100 ft are considered steep here. That said, there are lots of attractions.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeepDoh View Post
I am new to this group. I am a 31 year old single male. I currently reside in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ called Chandler. I have lived in the Phoenix area my entire life.

I have been offered an opportunity to retain my current position within my company, but relocate to a new facility that is being opened in Lake Forest. I've never been to the Chicago area, or even Illinois. As a matter of fact I've never been east of Texas. Now before you go thinking me some simpleton, I have backpacked internationally (Australia, Fiji, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Nepal). I've lived here my whole life because quite frankly I've just not had a reason to leave, and Phoenix is a pretty easy place to call home. It's just easy to live here for the most part.

I don't know squat about the area. All I know about Chicago is the winters are brutally cold and windy. I am very sensitive to the cold, and I really don't like wind. Obviously, I am used to sunshine 350 days/year. And besides brutally hot summers, basically not a lot of weather in any way.

I am in need of a fresh start, and am wondering if you all could provide some insight as to if I should move there? My concerns are these:

- Is Lake Forest going to be a fun/good place for a single person? I'm kinda over the whole "bar scene" but I don't want to live in a place that's been planned and built and developed to accommodate families.

- I mean really, how difficult is the weather to endure in the Chicago area? Is this something I'll acclimate to?

- City Data says the cost of living is 50% (roughly) higher than where I currently live. So my income of $150k/yr here would feel like $90k/yr, there. Is it just residential costs or is everything just really expensive?

Long story short, I'm just looking for general insights here, my lease isn't up in my apt here until June, so I've got some time to think about it.

Aaaaaand, go.
You would be bored out of your mind in Lake Forest as it is basically a quiet, wealthy bedroom suburb for families with breadwinners that commute to nearby corporations as well as Chicago itself.

If your new job is near the downtown Lake Forest Metra rail station, I'd consider looking into getting a place near the Ravenswood Metra stop within the city of Chicago (north side). Evanston (Main Street area & Davis Street area) might be possible options as well.

If you want suburbs with some nightlife that are a reasonable drive from Lake Forest there aren't too many options. Libertyville might be one to consider, but it might not be all that exciting for an early 30's, single transplant from outside of the region.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:46 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
I would suggest looking into Libertyville. Very nice and active downtown area. Assuming the job is around the I 90/Route 60 interchange, the commute would not be bad at all. Libertyville also has a Metra station in case you want to get into the city now and then. Libertyville is also next door to Vernon Hills which is a retail Mecca and would have pretty much anything you need to buy.

Though parts of Libertyville can be pricey, you would be just fine with a $150K salary. Also, reading between the lines of your post, from Libertyville you are a short drive to Wisconsin and its many nature areas which might be of interest to you.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Chicago is more expensive than Phoenix and Lake Forest is one of the most expensive suburbs of Chicago. $150k is very doable fir the Chicago area. Not Lake Forest, but most other suburbs. I recommend looking at Skokie. Much cheaper than Lake Forest and it's borders Evanston amd the city of Chicago where there's tons of things to do.

Will you still have a job if you stay in AZ or are they just giving you the option of going to Chicago? If you will still have your job in either place, I would stay in Phoenix. Chicago winters are some of the worst in the country. In the Spring and fall the weather changes constantly. Also it really doesn't get warm till the end of June. We do have nice summers though but it's short lived. We also have extremely high property taxes and our economy and government is corrupt. I would only say it's worth it if you're getting a noticeably better pay.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:41 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Chicago is more expensive than Phoenix and Lake Forest is one of the most expensive suburbs of Chicago. $150k is very doable fir the Chicago area. Not Lake Forest, but most other suburbs. I recommend looking at Skokie. Much cheaper than Lake Forest and it's borders Evanston amd the city of Chicago...
The median income in Lake Forest is $151k while the median income in Skokie is $66k. Skokie is just about the least attractive (and boring) suburb in the region, and besides, the OP's income will be just fine in Lake Forest, or any other North Shore/Northern suburb.

I suggest Libertyville by car if the OP wants to be close to work, and Evanston or Wilmette if work is near the Metra station in Lake Forest. Here's a look at the downtown areas among the three:

MainStreet Libertyville
Where Chicago and the North Shore Meet | Downtown Evanston
http://www.wilmette.com

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 03-30-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Your income is still a small fortune for a single 31 year old in Chicago. You can live extremely well as long as you aren't financially irresponsible, but you don't sound like you are.

Lake Forest = quiet, crazy rich, conservative suburb of almost all expensive houses. But hey, Chandler Az is no bastion of fun and part of me wonders why you live there.... But Lake Forest is not planned communities like some areas of Az are. It is a much more exclusive type of rich...

So you should come to visit, and then decide. Maybe you would prefer living as close as possible to Lake Forest for a short commute, and a convenient life. And then on weekends, you can drive/train to the city or to nearby escapes and enjoy other things.

But most your age would live elsewhere and sacrifice a short commute to living among more people like yourself.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 AM

97 posts, read 144,146 times
Being a single person and living in LF is in-congruent at best and crazy at worst. As others mentioned, it is a family oriented bedroom community, and anecdotally it looks and feels to me like the median age for adults has to be mid-40s or higher.

I can't comment about the commute from any local cities, but having lived in Evanston, from a quality of social and personal life I'd recommend trying there. You might also look into what an express train from the city might look like. I commute via Metra from suburbs to city but I see a lot of young(ish) people doing the reverse commute. In my work life, I've done an hour plus drive each way, and a 45+ train each way, and the train is MUCH more tolerable and I'd almost say that there is a mental/emotional discount effect where a 30m drive is about as taxing as as a 45-55m train commute. Add snow and the train is an easy winner. I know in Naperville, the local Metra lot has discounted parking plans for reverse commuters whereby you'd leave your car in the lot overnight and get it out during normal working hours, so that might be an option if your office isn't super close to the station and you choose to live in the city. Might even save you some money over having to park a car in the city (which typically isn't free).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs