Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 PM

13 posts, read 13,015 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to weight my options and trying to find the fastest/most economical way of getting to the loop by 5:45 in the evening for class from the suburbs. I currently work in Oak Brook and will go straight from work to class. I will leave work at 4PM and want to make it to class in time without driving downtown.

Here are my options

- Take metra from Hinsdale to Union
- Take metra to olgilvie from Elmhurst
- Drive to Oak Park and take Green line
- Drive to Rosemont to take Blue line

I am mainly unsure about the parking situation in each of these places except Rosemont so was wondering if anyone has some insight on each of these options. I didn't consider forest park blue line as an option as there are possible safety concerns with the area after dark? Green line in oak park is fine because I could take metra back. Please do advise on other options too.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 03:48 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Hinsdale. Several express trains going downtown at that hour. Parking shouldn't be a problem at that hour. There should be some open spaces. Another option (I tried it when working near Oak Brook to go to downtown meetings) is the 322 bus to the Pink line. Economical, but slow.

Last edited by pvande55; 04-01-2016 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 04-01-2016, 05:29 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Kinda goofy to try to insert transit into this route ...

Given that you have 105 minutes for a trip that ought not take much more than 60 on average and even 90 in bad conditions you may just find driving is more sensible. The little hassles that occur even getting to the Hinsdale train station from workplaces in Oak Brook can be maddening. It would be worse trying to get to Elmhurst and there is no way it would make sense to rely on CTA at that hour.

While I agree that aiming for the 4:25 out of Hinsdale is not a bad way to ensure you get to Union Station just before 5PM, you'd then be a "salmon swimming upstream" to get across the Loop. Though you would have 45 minutes to get to class, pretty sure that driving would be similar for inbound total trip.

Since there are no expresses after rush hour you'd have to factor in the trip back to Hinsdale and the drive to wherever home might be. If it is not close to Hinsdale, real time savings might be available from driving straight home after class...

I've done both an after-work class / train commute as well as driving and can say that every minute saved at the end of day means you are better able to get to bed and have productive day at work the next. Something to consider...

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
You know, I'm a big proponent of using public transit when a feasible options exists. Unfortunately Oak Brook wasn't planned with public transit in mind, so driving really is the best option here.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:37 AM

I'm also trying to pick the option that's also the most cost efficient. Doesn't parking in the loop cost an arm and a leg?

Old 04-01-2016, 11:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Depends where & when you park...

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd123 View Post
I'm also trying to pick the option that's also the most cost efficient. Doesn't parking in the loop cost an arm and a leg?
A few weeks ago I needed to go to a meeting close to Millenium Park. It was midday and I didn't want to bother hunting for parking so I gladly paid $38

If I needed to be downtown earlier I could have gotten to several sites that offer parking for $17 before 6am...

There is parking close to DePaul for about the same after 5:30pm, similar deals exist near other schools...

Train fares on Metra between Union Station and Hinsdale are over $10 round trip via a 10 ride, plus you'd pay for parking in Hinsdale. Not a wallet breaker...

Old 04-01-2016, 12:10 PM

748 posts, read 832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
A few weeks ago I needed to go to a meeting close to Millenium Park. It was midday and I didn't want to bother hunting for parking so I gladly paid $38

If I needed to be downtown earlier I could have gotten to several sites that offer parking for $17 before 6am...

There is parking close to DePaul for about the same after 5:30pm, similar deals exist near other schools...

Train fares on Metra between Union Station and Hinsdale are over $10 round trip via a 10 ride, plus you'd pay for parking in Hinsdale. Not a wallet breaker...
AND you'd pay for CTA fare depending on where you need to be. Hinsdale parking + Metra + CTA = ~$16 rt.

Parking + car depreciation + gas = ~$20?

It might not be that much more expensive to drive, and you'd likely save some time.

I do agree that driving rarely makes sense in the Chicago Metra covered areas, but in your case it just might...

Old 04-01-2016, 01:38 PM

I guess I'll try taking the Metra from either Elmhurst/Hinsdale a few times considering I already bought some 10 ride tickets. I really don't mind getting home a little later as long as I can make it on time. I also noticed a lot of street parking in Hinsdale has 2 hour parking that lasts until 6PM, so if I get there at 4, everything should be fine?

Old 04-01-2016, 06:00 PM

439 posts, read 953,843 times
After a certain time the trains only run every hour. Maybe the times work out for when you get out of class, maybe not, but something to consider.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:29 PM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
If you're going to do the train, I would say Hinsdale. Express train is easy, parking will be fine at that time.

If you're open to driving, I wouldn't rule it out. I would avoid the hillside strangler altogether by taking Ogden all the way in. Then, have the Spot Hero app on your phone to get the cheapest parking. I've been very successful finding great prices in the loop using that app! So it might not be so expensive after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs