Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 AM

155 posts, read 212,779 times

Advertisements

Des Plaines an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
It's tough because these towns are on opposite ends of the metro area, but southern Palatine and northern Arlington Heights as close to Route 53 as possible would be your best bets. Deerfield would be about a 40 minute drive and Downers Grove would also be about a 40 minute drive.
A lot depends where in Deerfield. If it is the area just west of I294/94 between Lake Cook and Deerfield Road (e.g., Baxter, Takeda, Mondelez, United Stationers, etc), the ride would be far less than 40 minutes from Buffalo Grove or Northern Arlington Heights (assuming no major road construction). Same just over I294/94 (e.g., Walgreens, Siemens). Southern Palatine would not be too bad - longer than from BG or AH, but still probably a little shorter than 40 minutes using Route 53. If the job is further east in Deerfield, things can get a bit more tense as far as traffic goes. Southern Palatine would be the best bet for DG but it would not take too much longer to DG from BG or AH using Route 53/I355 (part of that is a tollway though).

Another thought is perhaps looking south along I294 - like Northbrook or Glenview. Traffic moves pretty well on 294 southbound in the morning and northbound in the evening, so even though it is closer to Deerfield than it is to Downers Grove, the travel times should be tolerable for both (I294 is entirely a tollway).

Old 04-23-2016, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 18,850 times
It definitely depends on where in Deerfield, but I live in Medinah and it's not a bad ride up to Deerfield and really easy to Woodridge/Downers Grove. Not a lot of town home options here in out little town, but I could see Itasca, Bloomingdale or even Roselle being good choices. Also mostly ranches here in Medinah that are pretty affordable and come with some land if that's interesting... And it's pretty peaceful living out here

Old 04-23-2016, 07:35 PM

46 posts, read 66,846 times
What budget do you have? All these towns are going to offer houses for 250k+, except for Wheeling and Rolling Meadows, both undesirable due to crime, schools, and low income.

Buffalo Grove you will have the good part in the good school district, and in the other one. My friend lives in the bbad BG school district, and is not happy with it.

Palatine, stay at downtown or Fremd. Avoid apartments, especially North of NW Hwy(Mission Creek Apartments and Townhouses(Rimini Ct), Renissance, Woodland Apartments, etc.). Shady areas with bad schools. In other words: Palatine places for under 180k, STAY OUT!

Arlington Heights is the same story, except that there is only one school district for the village, which is decent!

Elk Grove seems pretty industrial, however, schools schools and schools are to be watched.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountyBang View Post
What budget do you have? All these towns are going to offer houses for 250k+, except for Wheeling and Rolling Meadows, both undesirable due to crime, schools, and low income.

Buffalo Grove you will have the good part in the good school district, and in the other one. My friend lives in the bbad BG school district, and is not happy with it.

Palatine, stay at downtown or Fremd. Avoid apartments, especially North of NW Hwy(Mission Creek Apartments and Townhouses(Rimini Ct), Renissance, Woodland Apartments, etc.). Shady areas with bad schools. In other words: Palatine places for under 180k, STAY OUT!

Arlington Heights is the same story, except that there is only one school district for the village, which is decent!

Elk Grove seems pretty industrial, however, schools schools and schools are to be watched.
OP doesn't need schools, all their kids ate grown. Palatine does have slme shady areas mainly townhomes and apartments north and the area by Palatine HS. RM and Wheeling are safe and just have some sketchy condo/townhouse complexes. In RM, stay north of Algonquin rd. Buffalp Grove also has sletchy complexes off of Dundee rd

Old 04-24-2016, 02:52 PM

46 posts, read 66,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
OP doesn't need schools, all their kids ate grown. Palatine does have slme shady areas mainly townhomes and apartments north and the area by Palatine HS. RM and Wheeling are safe and just have some sketchy condo/townhouse complexes. In RM, stay north of Algonquin rd. Buffalp Grove also has sletchy complexes off of Dundee rd
Sorry, I just read the original post so I didn't see that he/she didn't need schools.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupage Resident View Post
We're moving, and are deciding amongst a lot of suburbs. Empty nesters, we want a house that we can entertain in, outdoor living, decent yard, lower taxes. I posted another thread dealing with Wood Dale/Bensenville (we found some houses we like, but are worried about O'Hare). Due to our dualing commutes, other options are Mt. Prospect, Arl. Hts., Schaumburg, Rolling Meadows, Buff. Grove, Elk Grove Village, Palatine, Pros. Hts., Wheeling, Medinah and Itasca. Anyone have favorites or live in any of these and recommend or don't?
Lower than what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs