Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,916 times

Advertisements

New to site and relocation.
2 adults, 1 8-year old. Used to a large yard, want 3000 sq. feet and 3-car garage.
Have sent child to private school, so wondering about private vs. public.
Think husband will be working downtown
Older homes ok, but can't seem to find any with a yard.
We love to eat out, bike, run, grocery shop (i know, weird) and generally hang out with neighbors outside.

Any suggestions of areas would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 AM

49 posts, read 214,131 times
Default Homewood-South Suburb of Chicago

Hello,
If you want a great family friendly neighborhood with a nice mix of sturdy older brick homes and new modern homes and lots of yard space, great park district check out these links to Homewood, IL. We are a great suburb just 35 minutes by train from Downtown. I have posted several times on how much we love living in Homewood and having that old fashioned town kind of feeling. I work downtown in the loop and come home to a nice peaceful and quite atmosphere, many Homewood houses have very large yards and check out our Park District website, we have some great nature reserves, Issac Walton and Iron Oaks where you can go fishing and hiking and take nature walks.
Homewood Public Library - Homewood, IL

Homewood School District #153 (This is the school District website) excellent public schools.

Village of Homewood, Illinois This is the Village hall website, gives you some great info about Homewood and how family friendly the suburb is.

Homewood-Flossmoor Park District (park district website- excellent park district)

I have several other posts on Homewood, you can go into my profile and make a search of all my posts and you can get more info.

Crime rate is low, Police dept does an excellent job, and we are very close to Downtown by the Metra train.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
You'll probably want to post this in the Chicago suburbs forum, as it looks like you're definitely looking for a place in the suburbs.

Also what's your price range? That will have a major effect on what areas we suggest for you.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,643 times
I'm moving this to the suburb forum.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaia View Post
New to site and relocation.
2 adults, 1 8-year old. Used to a large yard, want 3000 sq. feet and 3-car garage.
Have sent child to private school, so wondering about private vs. public.
Think husband will be working downtown
Older homes ok, but can't seem to find any with a yard.
We love to eat out, bike, run, grocery shop (i know, weird) and generally hang out with neighbors outside.

Any suggestions of areas would be most appreciated.
What is your price range for a home?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,916 times
Default Price Range

We are looking up to 600K
Thanks for moving me
Thanks for the hint on Homewood!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaia View Post
We are looking up to 600K
Thanks for moving me
Thanks for the hint on Homewood!
Great long list of commutable suburbs with great schools, towns, and yes, grocery stores ! Check out Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst,Arlington Hts,Wheaton, Geneva/St Charles for starters. People like Naperville alot as well. If you want more of a large city, Evanston is right on the lake and right next to Chicago.Continue up the lake to some of the most desirable,affluent towns( most with a beach) Wilmette, Winnetka, Highland Park, but not sure how much you will find for 600. Libertyville is also an excellent option. All these towns offer a train commute,easy.If you do a "Search" on this forum you will find tons of info on all these burbs. Zero in on some houses, then when you visit you can see what burb feels like 'home' for you--good luck with your search.

Last edited by nanannie; 02-28-2008 at 07:42 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
that price range certainly makes things easier for you to look. there are many choices that might meet your criteria, you will need to decide if you want to be able to access train to chicago or drive.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Wilmette, Winnetka, Highland Park, but not sure how much you will find for 600.
Unfortunately, you are right, nanannie. These are good suburbs with homes in that price range, but none will have 3,000 square feet, a decent sized yard and a three car garage for $600k or less. Three car garage homes are rare to non-existent in the under $1,000,000 price range.

I'd suggest Naperville, St. Charles, Batavia, Geneva.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,438 times
Default Another suggestion

If your husband will be working downtown and you want to live in the suburbs, consider those that are along the train lines. The northwest suburbs along the Metra line such as Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights, and Palatine, might have homes that fit your requirements. You can certainly find 3000 square feet within your price range. The three-car garage is a little more challenging but is possible. These suburbs appeal to commuters and have revitalized downtown areas and popular schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs