Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:52 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,146,011 times

Advertisements

I thought both were nice towns and have various pros and cons, with the cons for both being pretty minimal. Ultimately it just came down to where we found a house we liked in a location in town we liked within our price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 AM

217 posts, read 577,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I looked in Naperville and while its very nice, I've owned three homes now in Wheaton and I love it there. I probably live closer to downtown Naperville than some Napervillians, and I am so glad I live in Wheaton. I prefer it. Naperville is too big for its own good its huge. We have everything and more that Naperville has except our downtown is smaller and we don't have the Riverwalk. Yes I agree that is a baseless generalization.
"Naperville is too big for its own good its huge." And I get accused about baseless generalizations

Old 09-07-2016, 10:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
While I sympathize with Lud over the generalizations, there is a lot of value in having towns that are more "size constrained".

Of course the issue is really one of where those size cut-offs happen. Thinking of towns along the BNSF or OP-W line the issues that have to be considered in towns whose fringes are not convenient to the core are really the key differences; it's why I tend to emphasize the "core" of Naperville as being worth pursuing for folks transferring, though really similar issues also exist on the northern and southern fringes of bigger towns like Wheaton, Downers Grove and Elmhurst. Things get more complicated in Naperville due to both the much larger population and the issues of separate school districts, which may diverge as population factors evolve.

That said, currently the "premium" for the core of Naperville is probably a bit higher than the differential between the core of Wheaton and its fringes, I suspect that really is a function of size and may always be a factor...

Old 09-08-2016, 10:09 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,872,445 times
What I meant is that Naperville is a very large suburb consisting of many diverse far flung neighborhoods, including much more sprawl than you get in a more compact suburb like Wheaton whose neighborhoods flow more cohesively and are seemingly more "connected". Also Naperville has around 140,000 people, and Wheaton a bit over 50,000 people giving it a more homey feeling.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:41 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,146,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
What I meant is that Naperville is a very large suburb consisting of many diverse far flung neighborhoods, including much more sprawl than you get in a more compact suburb like Wheaton whose neighborhoods flow more cohesively and are seemingly more "connected". Also Naperville has around 140,000 people, and Wheaton a bit over 50,000 people giving it a more homey feeling.
There's certainly more sprawl to Naperville, for sure. The effects of that may only matter to some depending what part of town they're in. There's a chance I'll live in Naperville for years without going to the part of town south of 87th Street. Obviously a question like this doesn't exist in Wheaton.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM

Default I would not be so sure of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
There's certainly more sprawl to Naperville, for sure. The effects of that may only matter to some depending what part of town they're in. There's a chance I'll live in Naperville for years without going to the part of town south of 87th Street. Obviously a question like this doesn't exist in Wheaton.
I have a friend that is long time resident of Wheaton. We were together at an event at the Morton Arboretum and he remarked on some of the larger new homes that back up the Arboretum. I told him they were in fact in Wheaton, he was skeptical but when we double checked he responded with "learn something new everyday"...

Old 09-09-2016, 08:36 AM

97 posts, read 143,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
This is very true! Prior to having moved to Naperville, I met one of my daughter's classmate's father at a school event in Naperville (my ex moved last year so kids were in school there already). He basically told me he lived at such and such an address and said that he never goes south of 75th St. When he made the comment I thought "what a pretentious jerk," and some of the other things he said reinforced that view, but having now lived in the area a few months, I find myself very rarely needing to go south of 75th! As noted, it is a huge town and depending on where you live you may or may not have a need to travel outside of that portion of town.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:07 PM

Default Well technically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel67 View Post
This is very true! Prior to having moved to Naperville, I met one of my daughter's classmate's father at a school event in Naperville (my ex moved last year so kids were in school there already). He basically told me he lived at such and such an address and said that he never goes south of 75th St. When he made the comment I thought "what a pretentious jerk," and some of the other things he said reinforced that view, but having now lived in the area a few months, I find myself very rarely needing to go south of 75th! As noted, it is a huge town and depending on where you live you may or may not have a need to travel outside of that portion of town.
The Costco is on the south side of 75th St and I have yet meet to anyone that does not like saving money on gas / giant packages of paper towels so I suspect darned near the entire population of Naperville has at least some reason to cross over that line ...

Old 09-12-2016, 10:44 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,872,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have a friend that is long time resident of Wheaton. We were together at an event at the Morton Arboretum and he remarked on some of the larger new homes that back up the Arboretum. I told him they were in fact in Wheaton, he was skeptical but when we double checked he responded with "learn something new everyday"...
As a matter a fact, I just passed this area today no more than an hour ago. Its near Leask Rd. which when you approach it from the Wheaton side on Butterfield Rd, you are in Wheaton, and then it turns into Lisle. All along the east side of the road are pockets of Morton Arboreteum which houses interspersed in various areas. Its really a lovely area, even a little hilly (for Illinois) along there.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:48 PM

66 posts, read 117,155 times
Dang it! Just three months ago, some people were saying that the Will County side of Naperville is where the snobs are. Now they're north of 75th, in Dupage County? I can't keep up with the Joneses if they keep changing ZIP codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs